• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ranger Career

bjjones37

SOC-12
There was one niche I have been looking for in the traveller careers that I could not find. The Scouts came close but was not quite making what I wanted. So I decided to create my own. I used Mongoose traveller as my basis for chargen.

Trained to work independently in environments with little or no sentient population. Trained for low-tech solutions to problems that traditionally use high-tech equipment. Example would be hang glider as flyer craft of choice, animal partner for sensor, etc. Can specialize in specific types of environments for optimal performance. Can perform solo missions of short to medium duration with little or no support. Trained to integrate
into the environment for minimal impact on ecosystem. Typical missions -
rescue person lost in wilderness or at sea, recover item of value (whether personal, technical, or intrinsic) from a non-societal hostile environment, stop a poacher, covertly survey an uninhabited planet for exploitable resources. Frequently works with a animal partner. Recommend a prerequisite background skill of Animals. Not intended for a firefight, more a sniper who fires and then fades into the forest.
Weak in interpersonal skills. He can perform some repairs but cannot redesign or customize technical equipment (not an engineer). What the Scouts often do for government entities and Megacorporation, a Ranger would be a low cost alternative for private individuals and small businesses.

Qualify INT 6+

AssignmentSurvivalAdvance
Sea RangerEND 5+EDU 7+
Land RangerDEX 6+INT 7+
Space RangerEND 6+EDU 7+
1DPersonal DevelopmentService SkillsAdvanced Education
1STR +1DriveInvestigate
2END +1Gun CombatMedic
3DEX +1MechanicElectronics
4AthleticsReconScience (Geology, Chemistry)
5MeleeStealthScience (Biology, Ecology)
6Jack-of-all-TradesSurvivalJack-of-all-Trades
1DSea RangerLand RangerSpace Ranger
1AnimalsAnimalsAstrogation
2Electronics (Sensors)Electronics (Sensors)Electronics (Sensors)
3NavigationFlyerPilot (Small Craft)
4Science (Biology)NavigationProfession (Belter)
5Seafarer (Sail or Personal)StealthScience (Astronomy)
6SurvivalTrackingVacc Suit
Rank TitleSkill/Bonus
1Scout RangerSurvival
2Recon
3RangerStealth
4Pilot
5Senior Ranger
6Ranger Primo/aVacc Suit
Muster
1DCashBenefits
1Cr10000Ship Share
2Cr20000INT +1
3Cr30000EDU +1
4Cr30000Gun
5Cr40000Gun or Subdermal Armor +1
6Cr50000TAS Membership
7Cr50000Scout Ship

I also has the Mishap and Career Event table written up if there is any interest.

Last edited:
It feels nice. I guess that's for MgT (not sure about edition). Is this right?

(note: when you share such house rules in this board, it is helful for other users to state which Traveller versión are you talking about, unless you post them in a specific versión forum).

It feels nice. I guess that's for MgT (not sure about edition). Is this right?

(note: when you share such house rules in this board, it is helful for other users to state which Traveller versión are you talking about, unless you post them in a specific versión forum).

Yes, I did it for Mongoose Traveller 2nd Edition. As I said, I have the other two Tables if you are interested.

Coolness.

Yeah, I can dig this. But then my Scouts have uniforms and ranks, and their ships all smell of violets and lavender. :)

My Scouts got broke into several new branches. My Pathfinder (military Scouts) seems to be along this line though mine do more Liaison work.

Nifty.

Hmm, strikes me as the biome exploratory arm of the Scouts.

The fast intiial survey is going to be able to get the Big Picture presumably, with experience so many comparative worlds, but the little regional biome details would take years and quite a few more people and time.

IMTU Scouts are responsible for biome preservation exploring and cataloging.

The ravenous Pharmabanks always pushing to get the drop on the competition and do unauthorized surveys, paying illegal genejumpers and other nefarious activities forcing the Scouts to be 'park rangers with a gun' to protect their charges and do the mission balancing politics, protection and proper science.

So this career is right up my alley, if I were doing MgT.

One thing I have in chargen for scouts is the Equestrian skill lifted from the LBB Scouts book. I'd suggest getting that shoehorned into the Land Rangers' skill list.

Ranger

1D Mishap Table

1 "Severely injured (this is the same as a result of 2 on the Injury Table). Alternatively, roll twice on the Injury Table and take the lower result."
2 The patron blames you for damage to a valuable artifact during a recovery mission. Lose your benefit roll for that term but keep your ranger career.
3 Your ship is damaged during an asteroid prospecting mission. Roll Mechanics 8+ to jury-rig your ship and get back to base and keep your ranger career but take a DM-1 to a benefit roll.
4 You rescue a minor noble from a frontier world but offend him in the process. Gain a Rival and Streetwise 0.
5 On a frontier world, your empty camp is attacked while you are away leaving you stranded. Gain Survival.
6 Injured. Roll on the Injury Table.

2D Ranger Event Table

2 Disaster! Roll on the Mishap Table, but you are not ejected from this career.
3 While prospecting an asteroid belt, you come across a free trader that appears to be abandoned. As your team continues prospecting the asteroid belt, you take as small unarmed short range recon ship to investigate. As you approach, the trap is sprung when a damaged pirate ship attacks. While it would pose no real threat to the teams far trader, you must survive by maneuvering through the asteroid belt. You can either attempt to outfly them using an 8+ Pilot check, or use active sensors to jam their sensor array as you lose your self among the asteroids with a Sensors 9+ check. If you fail, your ship get damaged and you are taken for ransom, ending your Ranger career. If you are successful, you survive and gain one level in Small Craft or Sensors depending on which strategy you chose.
4 A drive malfunction forces you to take a lander to a largely undocumented fringe planet. While evading predators, you acquire a chunk of germanium ore that the engineer requires to make repairs. Gain one of Animals (handling or training), Prospecting, Geology, or Biology.
5 You successfully recover a scoutship after it's crew was killed by native predators on a frontier world. Gain DM+1 to any one Beneft roll.
6 Life Event. Roll on the Life Events Table.
7 A Patron hires you to bring back botanical sample from forty different worlds for a natural history museum. While the compensation provides little more that expenses and a chance to travel, you gain one of Electronics, Navigation, Pilot (small craft) or Biology.
8 During a difficult reconnaissance of hostile forces on a frontier world, you come across an animal that can naturally sense even small electronic emissions and can make the difference between the success or failure of your mission. Roll Animals 8+ to successfully acquire him as a partner for this mission. If you succeed, gain DM+2 to your next Advancement roll. If you fail, gain a Rival.
9 You come across a failed invasion of a small outpost. The attackers were wiped out to a man, but the outpost personnel suffered serious injuries. Roll either Medic 8+ to treat their injuries or Biology 8+ find a native plant that will promote healing. If you succeed, gain a Contact and a bonus benefit roll. If you fail, gain an Enemy.
10 You land on a planet to recover a valuable artifact just to discover that a hostile competing force is in the vicinity. Roll Stealth 8+ or Recon 8+. If you succeed, gain a Ship Share and one level in any skill of your choice and a Rival. If you fail, roll on the Mishap Table but you are permitted to remain in the Rangers provided you do not get injured.
11 You discover a valuable botanical resource while evaluating a frontier world. Gain DM+4 to your next Advancement roll.
12 You covertly extract a hostage being held on a frontier world. The hostage is the child of a wealthy noble of prominence in the sector government. Considering those involved, it would be in both to his and your best interests that the details of this matter not be known. However he remains extremely grateful. You are immediately promoted.

Hmm, strikes me as the biome exploratory arm of the Scouts.

The fast intiial survey is going to be able to get the Big Picture presumably, with experience so many comparative worlds, but the little regional biome details would take years and quite a few more people and time.

IMTU Scouts are responsible for biome preservation exploring and cataloging.

The ravenous Pharmabanks always pushing to get the drop on the competition and do unauthorized surveys, paying illegal genejumpers and other nefarious activities forcing the Scouts to be 'park rangers with a gun' to protect their charges and do the mission balancing politics, protection and proper science.

So this career is right up my alley, if I were doing MgT.

One thing I have in chargen for scouts is the Equestrian skill lifted from the LBB Scouts book. I'd suggest getting that shoehorned into the Land Rangers' skill list.

My intention is that the Animal Handling enable him to interact with a variety of different animals sufficiently to gain their cooperation. After you have interacted with a sufficient variety, you start to get a feel for it. A Charisma characteristic would have been great for this but it does not seem to be an option so I have to go with EDU instead.

Is this career inspired by Andre Norton?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Rangers_(novel)

Maybe so subconsciously. I read a lot of Andre Norton as a teenager. I must confess I spent two years as a Ranger in Neverwinter Nights 2. It was my favorite class. But I have always preferred SciFi to Fantasy. Back in the DOS days much of my time was spent with SSI Star Command and Buck Rogers I and II, and Paragon's Megatraveller I and Megatraveller II!

Last edited:
Very cool, thanks!

I would suggest adding Science (planetology or climatology) to the astronomy entry.

And perhaps switching Pilot and Vacc Suit on the Rank table for Space Rangers.

But consider this yoinked!

This is good stuff. No, this is great stuff!

Not only is a planetary-based based exploration career is crammed full of potential, it's easy for folks to create discoveries, missions, and problems for because we live on a planet.

Diveguy in his "Fringe" setting thread has proposed a scout "service" made up of freelancers and independent companies rather than being a government service. These rangers would be a good addition to that idea too.

Interesting - I like the approach of a planetary oriented explorer/functionary without it being a barbarian tech level. Won't get into rules thoughts, as so much of that depends on which edition/system you're using - but nice write up.

Very cool, thanks!

I would suggest adding Science (planetology or climatology) to the astronomy entry.

And perhaps switching Pilot and Vacc Suit on the Rank table for Space Rangers.

But consider this yoinked!

You are certainly logically correct that the two should be reversed. My reason for having them in this sequence is actually an irrational one. I consider that level of Pilot to be important and I am afraid he might lose his career before he can get to it.

I tried to make the ranger specializations environment specific and I envisioned the space ranger working largely in a vacuum. Planetology could certainly have an application with regard to some of the smaller airless planetoids. But I am uncertain of climatology. My imagination does not seem to be up to the task. Clarification would be welcome.

If you give the character a Scout Ship mustering out, you should probably have Pilot (spacecraft) somewhere in there.

Also, which book is Tracking from?

This is really great. Star Rangers is one of my favorite books. I'm going to have to try making Kartr with this now.

If you give the character a Scout Ship mustering out, you should probably have Pilot (spacecraft) somewhere in there.

Also, which book is Tracking from?

This is really great. Star Rangers is one of my favorite books. I'm going to have to try making Kartr with this now.

I needed Tracking for the missions in the Ranger career and Recon just did not work for me. Tracking is listed as a Skill in TNE Core Rules in the Perception category.

It is actually quite deliberate on my part to have him less likely to get Pilot(spacecraft). He can only receive it if he gets enough rank, and even then he will tend to add it to small craft. He is intended to have a specialized and somewhat limited skill set. He is not a jump pilot or an engineer or a soldier. I envision that he ordinarily (except for perhaps a space ranger) pilots only small craft that are not jump capable. But if he happens to acquire a scoutship, that would make a great attraction to other prospects he might want on his team. Beats having to take a low passage. His lander would either occupy a bay, or more likely attach to the outside with docking clamps. He would have to team up with a pilot with spacecraft and astrogation skills. Not sure of the crew size of a scoutship yet but I am imagining two or three.

One word of warning about the scoutship. The Ranger corps normally purchases the older decommissioned scoutships that can no longer be aligned into official specs without a major, and majorly expensive, overhaul. That is what is available when mustering out. They are still functional but power generation is suboptimal and the drive thrust vector controls are finicky and require constant tinkering, possibly because the center of gravity has moved ever-so-slightly and seems to shift at odd intervals, again just slightly, giving the highly precise control systems AI electronic fits of temper. Whatever the reason it gives each ship a unique 'personality' that the pilot has to adapt to.

Last edited:
I guess this career would be a good place to replace the Scout ship for my IISS Intelligence Courrier, if you forgive me this shameless propaganda of this design of mine.

Its for MgT1e, but I hope it can be adapted to MgT2e (As I don't own it, I cannot be sure). Needless to say, feel free to use it (or adapt it to 2e).

Last edited:
Back