• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Real-universe jump distances

I can think of several reasons I don't use 3d universes...
  • Extra prep to build the maps
  • extra time in play to either do the trig or use the software
  • I dislike using computers during play
  • I don't want players using electronics in play at all due to temptation to tune out.
  • Most players don't think about travel nor combat in 3D
  • if I'm doing 3d, I have the urge to to space combat in 3d as well...
    • 3d space combat only matters once you hit 4 ships. (it takes 2 points to define a line, 3 a plane, and 4 a volume);
    • 3d space combat requires a lot more math
    • 3d space combat benefits strongly from flight-stand systems, which I cannot afford
    • Players often have troubles visualizing 3d combats without props or computer displays
You have to build the maps anyway, if you aren't using the OTU.

You only need the map when plotting destinations. You can generate and print a 2D map of everything within 3 pc (I've never had any J4+ ship) by choosing one view angle that suits you. Maybe shift the few that wind up being too far "above" and "below" that synthetic plane and therefore look too close. It can be done in a few minutes while the ship is in transit to the location being generated and the players are stretching their legs.

You can prepare a few in advance, knowing they are in the general area of these six systems. They will choose one particular direction and then you only need to map a few more as play progresses. How long are your play sessions?

Back