• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Recovery Mission 875-496

and that's all.

happy dance

primitive technology

I invite criticism of the story. since the audience is one of the four dimensions of any story, all criticism is valid, everything from "hey, I just signed in to watch the trainwreck" to "I really liked it". of course I'm hoping for something more substantive - why it was a trainwreck, what you liked/didn't, what worked/didn't, what was good/bad, what was smart/stupid, what surprised/didn't, what I should have/haven't done, what you wanted/didn't. etc.

this was meant to be (among other things) a learning experience for me, and I seek any input.

Last edited:
That was a cracking read - really enjoyed it.

Have you considered putting it al together and self publishing?

More importantly - take some time off, but I want a sequel.

really enjoyed it

was there a portion, or scene, or some other element, that stood out?

Have you considered putting it al together and self publishing?

well that depends on the reaction here ....

probably not. there have been some threads on coti of various "write to pay the bills" authors, and they were distinctly unpleasant. raised hackles, mentions of hate mail, complaints of copyright issues. doubt I'll get any money for anything, and I'd rather enjoy it than drudge at it, so probably just stay at a fan level.

I want a sequel

of the characters? of 875-496? of karin scout base?

The characters, definitely the characters.
There is a lot of backstory still to be told, and further adventures to be had.

The hints at the cultures that exist on the various Imperial planets the characters come from have really piqued my interest.

I like the way you have detailed the tech just enough to not contradict anything someone else may have used in their settings if that makes sense.

I liked the story for its attention to details and kudos for not letting it overshadow the action of the characters, e.g. Starship Operations, command structure, cultures of the crew, human frailties (Chief's alcohol vulnerability), human mercy (save the vorpal bunny, make peace with the white raptors), a hint of romance between Adam and Natasha.

The one-liners where Adam is thinking to himself felt like they needed to be in italics.

I especially liked the attention to the landscapes and the varied environments the Dainty Flower crew found. Helga's exuberance to new landforms, flora and fauna puts us in the shoes of the IISS, like we are there with them.

The story closes too fast, like enjoying a good stroll but then being pushed off a cliff.

I like the inferences to the Lu Hao to arrive sometime in the future. This tells us, the audience, that there are plans in Your Traveller Universe beyond the scope of this tale.

This story does not feel like a transcript of a game and so has more of a believability to it. I enjoyed that window into a larger universe. One wants to follow a character after this story, say Helga, Natasha, the Chief or Adam. Make us latch onto a character, identify with them and we will stick to that favorite character like glue - the stuff trilogies are forged from.

From the Editorial Desk in orbit over Roethoeegaeaegz, this is the Pakkrat

The story closes too fast, like enjoying a good stroll but then being pushed off a cliff.

yeah, but wasn't sure how to make it feel less abrupt without making it feel deliberately drawn out.

I tried to run the characters, not where I wanted them to go, but rather as they stood, and I think the ending follows that. really there's not much for either to say, they know where they stand and it's just a matter of admitting it, for adam the last three posts and for natasha the last five, so think of the ending beginning then.

(heh. "run the characters".)

The one-liners where Adam is thinking to himself felt like they needed to be in italics.

now that you mention that, yeah, I've seen that done. but it wasn't always what he himself was thinking.

I especially liked the attention to the landscapes and the varied environments the Dainty Flower crew found.

I tried to tell the story as the characters would see it - they're scouts, they explore - and as the audience may have wished to see it - where are they. and perhaps as I may have wished to see it ....

I enjoyed that window into a larger universe
The hints at the cultures that exist on the various Imperial planets the characters come from have really piqued my interest.

stories are said to begin "en media res" (in the middle of things), and I've seen the observation that they also end en media res. but it's also true they occur en media res. the characters live in a larger world, and it will be reflected - sometimes slightly, sometimes greatly - in their thoughts and actions. I didn't have any plan for this, I just described the characters as they went about their lives.

a great help with this is the audience here is traveller-oriented, thus less explanation is required.

Make us latch onto a character, identify with them

I don't think I can do that. the audience either identifies with them or doesn't. but I think I can make some progress at making the audience interested in the story.

of course half of that work is already done because, again, this audience is traveller-oriented.

There is a lot of backstory still to be told, and further adventures to be had.

only if there is a story to be told. one must be careful not to push "and then ...." too far.

I like the way you have detailed the tech just enough to not contradict anything someone else may have used in their settings if that makes sense.

yeah, I'm not the copyright holder (smile). but I don't know about not contradicting anything. the description of the jump drives, jump operations, the maneuver "flight" regimes, are all how I envision it. not sure if anyone else would accept it.

I was hoping for something more technical.

Squee is darn technical, a lot of nuance in how many e's.

I can actually do professional editing and critique, but sometimes I like not mixing personal hobby with the critical eye. Tends to ruin the moment and 'found treasures'.

Now if you are looking to sell this, that's different. Mercenary honor and performance kicks in for me, and we can go there.

Big key for the mercenary fate for the story, what is the intended market/audience outside of here, how much 'leg' do you want it to have?

there is an audience outside of here?

1) as I said, no sales, all the sales people seem unhappy
2) wanted to illustrate (my view of) the traveller universe and its people
3) as I said, learning experience for writing, while I'm still able to post here
4) offered up this scenario for a game, no takers, so just wrote about it. the other offered games I'm considering for stories, I'm thinking of chronor, but that would be a pretty big project as a story.

I can actually do professional editing and critique, but sometimes I like not mixing personal hobby with the critical eye. Tends to ruin the moment and 'found treasures'.

so pm me.

Last edited:
there is an audience outside of here?

1) as I said, no sales, all the sales people seem unhappy
2) wanted to illustrate (my view of) the traveller universe and its people
3) as I said, learning experience for writing, while I'm still able to post here
4) offered up this scenario for a game, no takers, so just wrote about it. the other offered games I'm considering for stories, I'm thinking of chronor, but that would be a pretty big project as a story.

so pm me.

Ok, so no commercial use, other then learning platform.

It's not a matter of ruining it for others, or salving any pride or whatnot for you, but ruining fun for me going into hypercritic mode.

I am posting this critique as a followup to what Flykiller and I were discussing in private messages.

Part 1

First, as I'm sure you're aware, there were severe problems with style, grammar, and technique. Since all of this can be corrected by taking a class or self study, it doesn't bear further comment unless you prefer.

The pace was excruciatingly slow. I know what you were doing; you were relating Adam's experiences as the focal character exactly as he perceived them. The point of view was third person limited. We only got to know what Adam thought when he commented on it internally, through his words, or through his actions. Despite knowing what you were doing, it was hard to read and plodded so very slowly it was frustrating. Near the middle I was used to it and my brain was automatically creating a more flowing narrative, but near the end I was beginning to skim. I had to go back and re-read parts.

The details you shared through describing every moment of Adam's experiences didn't give me any useful story information, or serve a story purpose. They didn't reveal qualities about Adam's character or set up something for him to overcome later. The magazine Adam removed from the console almost offered a social comment, but didn't. I guess crewmen in 1110 still haven't gone digital. There should have been detail only for the elements that were important later, like the grav bikes.

Sometimes I couldn't understand why Adam acted the way he did. I didn't know why he threw his purple heart away.

The character of the young administrative officer showing Adam around got way too much focus for her to just disappear out of the story as if she were never there. The board members served their purpose, which was to illustrate Adam's feelings, reveal his character, and reveal key facts about Adam's past. You described the board members well enough for them to serve their purposes but not too much since they were going to disappear from the story. Adam's explanation of why he came back was succinct and to the point, but the explanation just wasn't quite enough. It had enough words, it just somehow only communicated about 80% of the meaning it needed to.

Adam came across as a serious mature professional, and his trouble with the death of his friend revealed an emotional depth which strengthened the character. Adam's faith in God and your discussion of spirituality in the story was my favorite aspect. You attached a mature commentary on spirituality in people's lives in a Traveller setting. I really liked how you connected Adam's faith with his homeworld; it made him part of something. It gave him meaning. It grounded him and made him a part of a whole. Helga's comments about the role of the Church of Lunion I also liked very much. You didn't talk about what Adam's faith actually was, but you did do something vitally important: You used the characters to compare different ways of dealing with life. Helga, who was strong and capable, voluntarily submitted to the law of the Church of Lunion in one of the most important decisions of her life, her marriage. Natasha passionately advocated freedom, but in a negative way, in a rejection of all else, freedom from, not freedom to. Laseiag spoke in favor of tradition. This discussion the characters had was one of my three favorite parts of the story.

Part 2

Adam’s fixation on Natasha’s rump when she was working on the avionics was a sudden and jarring departure from his cool professional demeanor. It seemed sharply out of character. Of course he’s a man, but he’s not an immature man or one given over to his passions. Besides, it was just her shipsuited rump, how mesmerising can it be? If it were the Rump of all Rumps, the Perfect Platonic Form of Rumps, then Natasha should have been wearing something formfitting so it would be reasonable that Adam would’ve seen how much more beautiful she was than other women. I think you should have handled Adam’s attraction to Natasha more subtly, and more focused on her as whole person once she emerged from the avionics space. Adam could have noticed Natasha’s rump and its remarkable shapeliness, but only been struck by her beauty when he saw her face to face.

I think you should have diligently removed any trace of pop culture references. Traveller is set around 5000AD. Nobody would know or care about any of the crap we think about today.

The discussion between Adam and Natasha about the calibrations was a good showcasing of the Natasha’s immaturity and uptightness vs. Adam’s maturity and experience. Adam never did talk to the supervisor.

Natasha’s difficulty bringing the ship to orbit seemed out of character. You built her up to be a multifaceted top performer, but then she suddenly performs poorly. The character of Natasha I found tiresome as a whole, to the point where I wanted to skip to the next part about Adam or Helga. Natasha was Ms. Violence Toughcookie, and man, it’s just been overdone in books, TV and movies. Of course she’s been through hell on some ghetto planet so we have to feel sorry for her. Of course she came out of it tough and strong, instead of broken or cowardly. Of course she’s lost someone so we have to excuse her unprofessional tantrums. Of course while she was going through hell on ghetto planet she somehow got the education she needed to be a top performer in Scouts’ Academy, and in a math focused hard science field to boot. But, she’s the fiery strong female lead, so we have to put up with her nonsense. No wonder Laseig drinks.

Let’s constrast Natasha with Helga. Helga is the opposite of Natasha. Helga is strong where Natasha lashes out out of hurt. Helga is confident whereas Natasha has something to prove. Helga is getting on with her life where Natasha is stuck in the past. Helga is attractive because of who she is, where Natasha is attractive in spite of who she is. Helga is happy. Natasha is wrapped up in her hurt. Initially I had misgivings about Helga because it seemed at first you were going to use her for comic relief, but thankfully she played a much more important role. Helga’s role was to be that strong happy competent pillar on which the other characters could rely, and to show her way of life as a contrast the other characters. Would Adam have cared about Natasha if she were ugly? Doubtful.

Laseig was boring. I liked the way you got into Vilani culture and the way it can shape an individual, but on the whole, he was boring. He was an alcoholic, and he had the disease so bad that got passed out drunk less than 24 hours after takeoff, but then that made absolutely no difference to the rest of the story. It’s like his alcoholism was suddenly cured. If something like that isn’t going to play a part in the story, like someone put in danger because of Laseig’s drinking and then him overcoming his addiction to do the right thing later, it shouldn’t be in the story. Laseig didn’t change as a character and he didn’t serve any story purpose that I could discern. Every character has to serve a purpose.

The entire subplot with the intelligent animals served no purpose. Adam and Helga the geniuses made first contact, got mixed up in a war, established friendly relations with two alien species, and taught a language all in a day, and for what, so one of the avians could kind of point them in the right direction and Natasha could have a pet? What was the point of the charging giant beast? How could he kick in the panel of a ship designed to withstand weapons fire? Why would the beast sleep in the presence of a ship he was just attacking?

The entire mission seemed weirdly off kilter. A scout ship was lost and the higher echelons were sending a rescue mission. They sent a 100dt Scout/Courier with barely enough space for its 4 crew, and no space for the people they intended to rescue. There was no medical bay, just uptight Natasha, her EMT certificate, and her hell planet medical experience. There was exploration equipment, but no rescue equipment. The ship’s maneuver drive could barely get them off planet. The higher-ups saw fit to crew the ship with a drunk, tantrum-prone Cadet Toughcookie, and a captain who almost walked. Helga was the only fit crewmember on that ship. They weren’t going out there to survey, explore, or deliver the mail, they were going out there to rescue people. Lives were on the line, and this is who the higher-ups sent? There needed to be some justification in the story for this, preferably turning these negatives into a source of risk and tension. Will they pull through, despite their failings?

The holobooth served its purpose, to reinforce and reveal more about the characters, but it seemed contrived. Yes, Natasha the badass. Yes, the reinforcement of the other characters.

Oh yes, Helga. What did she think she was doing, going on that mission while pregnant? That was wildly out of character for an otherwise responsible person. Cosmic radiation, alien pathogens, strenuous activity trying to rescue people, stress, trauma, anything could have happened. Helga could have lost the baby, or affected the child’s life permanently. That’s my only Helga criticism.

The village sequence was too long. I don’t know why the villagers reacted positively when the robot had injured two kids, especially after it blinded the little girl. I don’t think that stands to reason. The interaction with Jurl went on way too long. I liked his character, happy, strong and un-self-consconcious, but it just went on way too long when his only purpose was to show the protagonists where to find the robot. It was early this morning by this point, so I was getting a little punchy.

So, we finally find the missing ship. I liked your description of the terrain. I had a good visual image, like a flight simulator sequence, of what the characters would see through their ship’s external cameras if they had any. Your use of the glacier terrain as an antagonist was good, but there were some things wrong. The loss of the scout ship was due to the pilot’s irresponsible poor decision to set down on terrain he didn’t know anything about. He’s a scout, he would have been trained on things like this. He could have kept the ship hovering at 1G above the glacier’s surface while the other crewman checked out the fossil bed. Instead, he sets the ship down with no idea if the surface will bear its weight. Didn’t this ship have an air/raft or grav bikes? Couldn’t the crew have rappelled down instead of putting the ship at risk? When the ship fell through the ice, again, why did a hull designed to withstand weapons fire crumple? A seagoing ship or an airframe has to deal with weight, but a grav vehicle wouldn’t.

The characters rescue the two survivors, and here a pivotal event happens. Adam saves Natasha from the falling ice. I didn’t understand what was happening with the crabs. It seemed like every animal on the planet was ready to stage a mass attack at a moment’s notice. One of the surivors mentioned snakes, but there weren’t any. This scene begins Natasha’s change as a character.

After the rescue, the survivors seemed to recover far too quickly. The discussion where the characters recount their absent friends and companions was well done, except for technique, etc.. That was one of my favorite scenes in the story. It forced the characters to face themselves. I thought it was emotionally authentic.

Then Adam leaves the group. I don’t know why. This should never happen in a story. The reader should always know why characters are acting the way they are. The reader may not know a character’s secret plan, but his actions should always have a motivation the reader understands. He went camping. Maybe there was a theme of him finding an imperfect Eden for himself as an imperfect Adam. I got the idea that he just wanted to get away from it all and spend time alone to come to terms with himself, the loss of his friend, and the events of his life. Then Natasha finds Adam (thanks to Helga, I might add), and embraces Adam, and embraces the change in herself. That was her triumphant moment, and for Adam, it was his triumph. Natasha was his antagonist, in that she resisted his affections. She surrendered, and Adam won. Adam was also transformed and change as a character. Adam’s Trin spirituality made him a part of a whole, but Natasha’s final acceptance of him made him whole. That was his change in character, and it was a good coming full circle from the beginning when he talked to the board. I don’t think Natasha deserved Adam’s affection, but at least she changed enough that she was able to accept it.

So that’s it. I hope it was useful.

excellent. thank you.

Near the middle I was used to it and my brain was automatically creating a more flowing narrative,

any chance of seeing such a narrative?

Natasha passionately advocated freedom, but in a negative way, in a rejection of all else, freedom from, not freedom to ... This discussion the characters had was one of my three favorite parts of the story.

did the realization that Natasha had left children behind on aki change your perspective on what she said?

discussion where the characters recount their absent friends and companions was well done, except for technique, etc. That was one of my favorite scenes in the story.

you mentioned three favorite scenes. what was the third?

This should never happen in a story.

well, that depends on the story.

So that’s it. I hope it was useful.

it is. thank you.

Last edited:
My favorite parts of the story were
1. Your use of spirituality to define and compare the characters.
2. Adam's circular completion of becoming whole.
3. Your use of discussion to contrast characters' ways of life and the subtle commentary that made.

I also really liked your depiction of the fate of the first ship. I had questions about it, but I liked how it was a disaster, a hazard, the treacherous ice that did the first ship in.

I liked the bunny too. That bunny lucked out.

Ill have to reread it to figure out what Adam saw in Natasha, besides her being female, being single, and being there. Adam kept calling her a filly, but I don't know what he meant by it. I only know it meaning horse, and I don't know how much of a complement that is.

By narrative I meant that my brain was filling in words that it knew should have been there while I imagined the characters speaking. It's not anything I could ever write down.

my brain was filling in words that it knew should have been there while I imagined the characters speaking.

well if you ever can think of a way to show it then I'd like to see what they should have said.

Enjoy!

Recovery_Bunnies.jpg

Back