• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

References for Reavers' Deep

Thanks, that could be very helpful. Reminds me of some similar material about regressing worlds in the MegaTraveller supplement Hard Times, so I will dig that out and give it a quick skim as well.

Looks like The Traveller's Toolbox v0.96 by Michael Bailey will automagically:

- - Apply Hard Times effects to sector data
- - Apply TNE Collapse effects to sector data
- - 'Regress' second survey sector data to Millieu:0

Note that "The contents of this site are for personal, non-commercial use only." Which means that if you make use of any of it, you can't later decide to base any official articles on it.

I don't know if the 'personal' means you can't use it for non-commercial stuff like Freelance Traveller and wiki articles. Probably not, but personally I would want to make sure.

Hans

Last edited:
Tentative chronology for the settlemnt of Reaver's Deep till 380. Based on information gleaned from the Wiki.

Settlement of Reaver's Deep
---------------------------

Native populations:

Iltharans
Two more minor human races (unless my memory plays me false???)
Saie (extinct by 1100)
H'oskhikhil of Storm (discovered in the Classic Era)
J'aadje of Gaajpadje
Languljigee of Lajanjigal
Lhshana of Lhshami
Polyphemes of Htalrea
Virushi of Virshash
Yn-tsai of Tsanesi (not native)
?

Latish 1st Imperium: The Saie, an aggressive, expansionistic race, having been given jump technology by a Vilani governor in Daibei, used their new technology to establish a small empire in the Caledon, Riftrim and Nightrim subsectors. They overextended themselves in the process and, in a widespread civil war, their empire collapsed. Because they were spread thin, the Saie culture vanished almost without a trace. Even the identity of their homeworld and all records of their physical appearance were lost, buried amid confused myths and legends among the races that they had conquered.

Lhshana of Lhshami enslaved by the Saie. They received a considerable boost in civilization thanks to Saie technology, and also absorbed knowledge from Reaver spacecraft which visited the world during the Long Night. When first contacted by Caledonian merchants, the Lhshana had a flourishing tech level 9 civilization, though they had no knowledge of (and little interest in) space flight.

Interstellar War period: Human settlers seeking refuge from the war ravaged
worlds near Terra (Solomani Rim 1827) made an epic journey that ultimately
ended with the discovery and colonization of Caledon (Reavers' Deep 1815), in
the Caledon subsector.

Germaine settled "at the same times as Caledon" by dissenters.

Firth settled from Caledon only 15 years after Caledon itself.

Stuart had an early colony from Caledon that failed.

Rintarna settled by Terrans during the Interstellar Wars.

Rule of Man: Other Terrans followed later. The Deep was explored and a few
worlds were settled, but the region remained largely open and uninhabited.

21st Century PI: Worlds in Uhtaa and Eakoi settled by Solomani of Chineese
ancestry and form the Celestial League, precursor to the Union of Harmony.

Early in the Rule of Man: Soloman settled.

Rule of Man: Danelag settled.

-1893: Trading enclave established on Askoapoy.

Shortly before the Long Night: Hoffman settled by passenger and crew from the
Caledonian colony ship _Germania_ that crashed on Hoffman.

-1780: Population of trading enclave on Askoapoy well over 1000.

Shortly after the fall of the Rule of Man (in -1776): The Droyne of Askoapoy
helps stranded human traders and diplomats settle Gralyn.

Some time after the fall of the Long Night: Caledonia lose interstellar
travel for an unspecified length of time.

Early stage of Caledonian expansion into space: Stuart settled from Caledon.

During Long Night: Lhshana of Lhshami gain knowledge from visiting Reaver
spacecraft. When first contacted by Caledonian merchants, the Lhshana had a
flourishing tech level 9 civilization, though they had no knowledge of (and
little interest in) space flight.

Some time during the Long Night: Roakhoi settled by the losers of an Aslan
clan war.

Ca. -1620 to -1320: Coventry is a prison planet of some unidentified world
with starship technology.

Between -1120 and -1100: "Blackjack" Duquesne established colony on the
inhospitable Drellesarr. Surprisingly the colony proved viable, although the
population never grew to amount to much (800,000 in Classic Era).

Ca. -1050: Grand Admiral Izanak inadvertently gives fusion and jump drive to
the Iltharans of Drexilthar.

Ca. -1000: Iltharans begin expanding, establishing the Drexilthan [?] Empire.

Ca. -1000: Traneer is the first world settled by the Drexiltharans.

-900: Danelag invaded by Aslan of the Eakoi Corporation. [Oops! Date can't be right; mea culpa! (I wrote that bit originally. ;)]

-835: Loaktarl clan establishes the Eakoi Corporation to trade with worlds in
Ea and Eakoi subsectors.

Late Long Night: Reavers appeared in the Deep; petty warlords or pirates who scraped together a few space worthy starships and used them to loot backward worlds or to seize and hold small empires. Though the same sort of thing happened outside the Deep as well, these freebooters flourished in the Deep long after the rising tide of civilization had put an end to the majority of their brethren, elsewhere.

Late Long Night: Roikhoi explored and colonized by the Aslan Hierate [nonsens;
the hierate doesn't do things as a body; colonized by some specifc clan].

-200: Concorde settled by Aslan ihatei (clan not named).

?: Reavers establish a stronghold on Collin's World.

?: _Bold Endeavour_, human colony ship from unnamed interstellar state in Urlaggash subsector is attacked by Reavers in the Andiros System (Reaver's Deep 1328) and heavily damaged. It misjumps into Roakhoi system and the colonists settle there. [See entry for Roikhoi above; obviously refer to the same world, but spelled differently.]

Ca. -100: Ea settled by the Loaktarl clan.

Ca. -100: Soloman starts the Eakoi Trade Conflict against the Eakoi corporation. Expels Aslans from Danelag.

Ca. -80: Loakhtarl clan place a small colony on Aikhiy. Never fully successful, the residents were one of the first of the Loaktarl colonies to succumb to the Turmoils.

Ca. 100: Kolan Hegemony establishes a starport on Rock as a stepping stone for trade with the Principality of Caledon.

128: Settlers on Hoffman discovered by Caledonian merchant ship.

128: Loaktarl Clan abandon Eakoi subsector.

Later Reaver period: The Grand Duchy of Marlheim can trace its origins to one of the last successful Reaver warlords in the Ea subsector.

200: The Third Imperium to trailing and the spreading Aslan clans to spinward each expanded into the Deep at about the same time. The Reavers faded as ships of these two groups began to explore and conquer the Deep and the Aslan Border Wars broke out.

200-380: Kolath, a late Reaver kingdom, allies with the Imperium and serves as a springboard for Imperial expansion into the Deep.

-900: Danelag invaded by Aslan of the Eakoi Corporation. [Oops! Date can't be right; mea culpa! (I wrote that bit originally. ]

-835: Loaktarl clan establishes the Eakoi Corporation to trade with worlds in
Ea and Eakoi subsectors.

How about if we change that date for Danelag invasion to -800?

Thanks. You just reminded me how much I hate the Imperial Calendar :)

I figure in this game most worlds use either Vilani calendar or Terran calendar (AD or CE), depending on source of colonization. Of course, some mavericks may use their own calendars from date of first settlement or founding of current government or something, but for communication between worlds they probably go with Vilani or Terran.

No Imperial calendar as Third Imperium doesn't exist yet. :)

Edit: But I am using Imperial for reference in constructing timeline, just as Hans did, bc so many sources use it.

Arg! A big part of the problem of trying to write coherent OTU history that fits in with what is already written is the apparent random nature of so much of the previous stuff - such as the Celestial League (now Union of Harmony) in the lower-left (rimward-spinward) corner of Reavers' Deep, which is said to have been colonized by Chinese immigrants from Terra - yet has worlds named Delilah, Gustave, Rose, Miranda, Galloway, etc. :file_28:

Sigh. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be a fun campaign in the OTU, just to get in some GM time while I work on my own ATU.

"This is not MTU, I don't have to fix it, just try to comprehend enough to run a campaign here."

I need to make that my mantra.

Edit: But how am I supposed to ignore some of the ridiculous spans of time that nothing advances and no one bothers to explore a system only a few parsecs away? AAAAARRRGG!!! :mad: :eek: :(

Edit 2: Approximately 3500 years of history of Reavers' Deep sector would make much more sense compressed into less than 1000 years. Maybe 500.

So, was Paul Sanders a pen-name for J. Andrew Keith? Or was Keith credited in the wiki entry bc Sanders collected materials mostly written by Keith?

I just now noticed that he did a lot of artwork for Traveller Chronicle.

I suppose w only 100 issues

I believe the wiki says 200.

I'm wondering how much difference there is between the FFE Apocrypha version of A Pilot's Guide to the Caledon Subsector and theTraveller Chronicle version.

Arg! A big part of the problem of trying to write coherent OTU history that fits in with what is already written is the apparent random nature of so much of the previous stuff - such as the Celestial League (now Union of Harmony) in the lower-left (rimward-spinward) corner of Reavers' Deep, which is said to have been colonized by Chinese immigrants from Terra - yet has worlds named Delilah, Gustave, Rose, Miranda, Galloway, etc. :file_28:
That just tells you that at some point another ethnic group gained ascendancy and chose to change the names. People do that sometimes.

Edit: But how am I supposed to ignore some of the ridiculous spans of time that nothing advances and no one bothers to explore a system only a few parsecs away? AAAAARRRGG!!! :mad: :eek: :(
Who doesn't bother to explore nearby systems?

Edit 2: Approximately 3500 years of history of Reavers' Deep sector would make much more sense compressed into less than 1000 years. Maybe 500.
The general consus back when that was a topic of discussion was that dividing the span of time by 5 would work well.

Hans

Jon Zeigler and I and a third person whose name I've forgotten (damn my lousy memory) selected one canonical date where the Imperial and the Gregorian date was listed and decided that that was the one that counted.

see Revised Gregorian Calendar.

I think I'll start using that. Sounds pretty official to me :)

Also see Talk: Date Conversion for more details.

Whew! Sure is a lotta material in there. I'd probably have to work the numbers three different times with two different spreadsheets just to get the wrong answer :)

Last edited:
That just tells you that at some point another ethnic group gained ascendancy and chose to change the names. People do that sometimes.

Except that it appears that the Chinese remain in charge for the next 2500 years, until after the Peace of Ftahalr. Then the Celestial League dissolves, but is soon reunited as the Union of Harmony.

Oh well, if someone changed the names at some point, I can just make up names that sound more authentic to me, and say they hadn't been changed yet at the time of this campaign.

Whew! Sure is a lotta material in there. I'd probably have to work the numbers three different times with two different spreadsheets just to get the wrong answer :)

Or you could look at the formulas used in the date template, which based upon the date conversion discussion. The date template formula are, to the best of my knowledge, accurate to a year.

I just now noticed that he did a lot of artwork for Traveller Chronicle.

Paul Sanders is separate from the Brothers Keith. Bill and Andrew wrote a LOT of Traveller materials over the years. Bill Keith is now a semi-big-name Sci-Fi author. Andrew passed away in 1999. Paul bought publication rights to several of the Keith brothers CT manuscripts, originally intended to be Gamelords products.

Except that it appears that the Chinese remain in charge for the next 2500 years, until after the Peace of Ftahalr. Then the Celestial League dissolves, but is soon reunited as the Union of Harmony.
I don't see the problem. If the Other Guys took over before the Peace of Ftahalr, they changed the names of the worlds but kept the name of the League. If they took over after the Peace, they changed the names later.

Oh well, if someone changed the names at some point, I can just make up names that sound more authentic to me, and say they hadn't been changed yet at the time of this campaign.
Indeed you can.

Incidentally, 'Celestial League' is not a Chinese name; it's English. Presumably a translation of the Mandarin (?) name.

EDIT: It just struck me: Who says the original settlers of Chinese ancestry spoke Chinese?

Hans

Last edited:
Eep! I guess I need to read up on the era and on the area, eh? I hope I have time to do so when I get home. (Time and internet here is hard to come by.)

Back