• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Religious and Monastic Orders in Traveller?

SJE

SOC-8
I'm coming up with a game based around a monastic order on Dawnworld (District 268, Spinward Marches) who are invaded/occupied by vargr raiders seeking a secret treasure.

I've looked through the wiki (http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Category:Religions) and while the Church of Stellar Divinity is a possibility, is there much written or established about religion in the 3I or is it generally ignored?

Did existing religions spread with the Solomani and do any canonically survive till the 1100's? Do any monastic orders appear in the canon?

Mucho gracias,

Steve

Very little has been written about religion in Traveller and the OTU, here on the boards it is a close to forbidden subject because of the potential to spill over into real world politics, etc.

I wouldn't say that in the OTU it has been ignored, merely described in very vague detail of simply made-up whole cloth. There was an old Dragon/Ares article on Clergy as a profession that laid out some suggested religions, but most people end up making up their own or stealing them from literature.

D.

The folks over at BITS have a supplement called "101 Religions," an interesting read and available over at DriveThruRPG.

I'm definitely interested in this; religion can offer serious play opportunity for setting, motivation, contacts/allies/adversaries, and so forth.

I'm coming up with a game based around a monastic order on Dawnworld

what, a meditative order? militant? contemplative?

meditative - they know the way!

militant - headquarters for a military force!

contemplative - they have the secret to transmutation!

I'm coming up with a game based around a monastic order on Dawnworld (District 268, Spinward Marches) who are invaded/occupied by vargr raiders seeking a secret treasure.

You might want to keep in mind that Dawnworld is uninhabited because males animals of Terran descent born there are sterile.

... is there much written or established about religion in the 3I or is it generally ignored?

That has been wisely left to the individual referee.

Did existing religions spread with the Solomani and do any canonically survive till the 1100's? Do any monastic orders appear in the canon?

Thee have been vague hints and other such mentions but, as I wrote above, the issue has been left in the hands of the individual referee. One man's faith is another man's heresy, another man's punch line, and yet another man's insanity. GDW, being adults, understood that and left the topic of religion in Traveller more or less alone.

That being said, there is the Church of Stellar Divinity with it's mother church on Antares. There's an "heretical" sect of the same church on Pavabid. Various planetary theocracies are mentioned in various adventures, Amber Zones, and whatnot. MgT's recent Alpha Crucis sector work has a decidedly religious bent. The K'Kree have a rather militant faith. Some Vargr are adherents of a racial supremacy faith called the Church of the Chosen Ones.

There are plenty of previous examples, so just make something up.

Last edited:
You might want to keep in mind that Dawnworld is uninhabited because males animals of Terran descent born there are sterile.

Which is why I thought it the perfect place for a monastic order- monks with a vow of chastity are not expecting to have children anyway. But the fear of that sterility will deter casual (male) visitors.

Which is why I thought it the perfect place for a monastic order- monks with a vow of chastity are not expecting to have children anyway. But the fear of that sterility will deter casual (male) visitors.

I must have missed something, where is this information from regarding sterility?

Very little has been written about religion in Traveller and the OTU, here on the boards it is a close to forbidden subject because of the potential to spill over into real world politics, etc.

I wouldn't say that in the OTU it has been ignored, merely described in very vague detail of simply made-up whole cloth. There was an old Dragon/Ares article on Clergy as a profession that laid out some suggested religions, but most people end up making up their own or stealing them from literature.

D.

The pit was reopened explicitly to allow a place to discuss religion in the OTU, and real current politics as they inspire YTU.

It's restricted to Moot members because when it wasn't, it attracted a jerk-faction that has (largely) gone away of their own volition.

Not quite. Whatever the "taint" at work on Dawnworld is, it doesn't make visitors or immigrants sterile. Instead, males of Terran-descended species conceived on Dawnworld are born sterile.

Something on Dawnworld effects males during gestation. That same something doesn't effect males who gestated elsewhere. (That explanation is from Our Absent Friend Hans himself.)

Also, monasticism doesn't necessarily equate celibacy nor physical seclusion. A withdrawal into a "spiritual" life and away from a "worldly" one can occur while living and working among others as the various mendicant orders neatly illustrate.

Mount Athos is just one example among thousands of differing monasteries and Christian monasticism doesn't describe the monastic practices of every current religion let alone those which may exist in the 57th Century. If you avoid the lazy trap of cliche, you've a great chance to create a "We're not in Kansas anymore..." moment for your players. Let me explain.

Many, many years ago I was refereeing a usual Traveller campaign. The players had a free trader and were flying around a homemade subsector looking for cargoes and jobs. One of them asked me what the name of the surrounding subsectors were, so I took the map, penciled in a few name on the spur of the moment, and handed it back.

In my hurry, I'd named an adjoining subsector Stooges.

Traveling there immediately became my players' goal.

By the time they got there, I was ready to play against every assumption and preconception they had. I constantly rubbed their collective noses in the difference between the label of a thing and the thing itself. The subsector wasn't full of short strange men busily hitting each other with pies or destroying plumbing and, while named Moella, the duchess wasn't a violent misanthrope with a soup bowl haircut. The players made all the usual assumptions at first, suffered the consequences, and learned to think rather than presume. They loved it.

You have a similar chance to do the same things to your players. When they here the word "monastery" and "monks", they will blithely assume all sorts of things. It's your job to make all those assumptions false. Your monks should not be wearing coarse brown hassocks, chanting in unison, raising bees, brewing beer, and flagellating themselves because that's exactly what your players will expect.

You can show them a monastery and monks which challenge their assumptions or you can trot out the usual load of cliches and stereotypes. Which way do you think may be more fun? Which way do you think may be more memorable?

There are a few references.

The Virasin faith on Dlan. Survival Margin also references a St. Elvis of Terra, which could be any number of religions.

The thing about Traveller is that it is very distant from us. Almost 3700 years, if my math is correct. That's 500 years more than what separates us from Ramses the Great.

But, at the same time, the "mainline" interstellar 3I culture is not as alien to us as Ancient Egypt would have been, despite the similar passage of time and the additional mix of interstellar species. In fact, it feels very much like a particular observation/free market and vaguely anti-government (or at least government restraint) of the late 20th Century.

Naturally that's because people wrote the game in the late 20th Century. But as a result, interstellar society in all facets, including religion, is pretty similar to us.

IMTU I have a monastery at Barnard's Star as the primary population, interstellar travel having only opened up a couple decades ago and no one else wanting to settle there.

I think I rolled a sacred site off RTT Worldgen, pop was very low, so voila.

Also had a build-your-own-martial-art-discipline set of rules, so merged it and we have ourselves fighting space monks.

They cut and haul ice up by hand for unrefined fuel for any starships that drop by as a training discipline and money, and since I rolled no Oort cloud or other hydrographic or hydrogen resource, they are IT.

Nothing worthwhile is down that arm of exploration so very little traffic, but that is all about to change....

There are several human religions mentioned in Canon, but none are pervasive and none are heavily detailed. This is, as has been mentioned already, a conscious design decision. Too much detail *will* offend someone eventually, either by a perceived slight of an existing religion, or by getting too close to a real religion. Or both.

Nothing is stopping you from having religion in your game, but official works will always tread lightly.

That being said, there is the Church of Stellar Divinity with it's mother church on Antares. There's an "heretical" sect of the same church on Pavabid. Various planetary theocracies are mentioned in various adventures, Amber Zones, and whatnot. MgT's recent Alpha Crucis sector work has a decidedly religious bent. The K'Kree have a rather militant faith. Some Vargr are adherents of a racial supremacy faith called the Church of the Chosen Ones.

There are plenty of previous examples, so just must something up.

Let's not forget the Pysadians. They worship their world, Mother Pysadi (at TL 4, no less).

There are several human religions mentioned in Canon, but none are pervasive and none are heavily detailed. This is, as has been mentioned already, a conscious design decision. Too much detail *will* offend someone eventually, either by a perceived slight of an existing religion, or by getting too close to a real religion. Or both.

Nothing is stopping you from having religion in your game, but official works will always tread lightly.

The simplest way to look at it is that "Real-World Religions" in Traveller are a topic that is considered a "GM Preserve", just like the Foreven Sector is astrographically a "GM Preserve".

I.e. There will be no canon established on the topic, and the GM is free to include, exclude, or alter as he sees fit for his campaign.

[m;]Be very careful guys, do NOT slip over into discussion that belong in the PIT, or I will move the thread to the PIT and infract those who violated standard board rules. [/m;]

[m;]Be very careful guys, do NOT slip over into discussion that belong in the PIT, or I will move the thread to the PIT and infract those who violated standard board rules. [/m;]

There is a canon Vilani religion, I seem to recall, presented as part of Vilani culture.

Say no more as loose lips will cause us to be thrown into the PIT.

There is a canon Vilani religion, I seem to recall, presented as part of Vilani culture.

[m;]As long as no real world religión is touched, it's fine. Vilani religion, as it appears in canon (the god-machines, etc) may be discussed (read rule 3)[/m;]

Say no more as loose lips will cause us to be thrown into the PIT.

As you're quite new, I'm afraid you missundertood Cryton here. No one is sent to the PIT.

The PIT is the Political Pulpit, open only to moot (paying) members, and is the only forum i nthis board where politcs and religion may be discussed.

Threads that become too political (or religious) are sent there, not people (though people uses to be infracted when that happens).

Back