• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Religious and Monastic Orders in Traveller?

I tend not to put in religions unless a world's description has it already.
Mostly since I myself am not religious, and don't really want to get any of my players heated about it.

I tend not to put in religions unless a world's description has it already.
Mostly since I myself am not religious, and don't really want to get any of my players heated about it.

Kind of hard to avoid when you have at least two government types that are clearly religious in nature, and a good number of canon descriptions of polities and worlds that are as well.

Kind of hard to avoid when you have at least two government types that are clearly religious in nature

(laugh) yeah, "religious dictatorship" and ... what's the other? can't remember.

and a good number of canon descriptions of polities and worlds that are as well.

yeah but they're imaginary so they're cool ....

Dawnworld

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Dawnworld_(world)

How about a religious order that believes Dawnworld is the place the Supreme Being has ordained for the renewal of Terran life and human civilization?
The sterility of males is understood as a test and a necessary condition of purification. When the time is ripe, then the ban on procreation will be lifted and Dawnworld will grow into a second, pure, good Earth filling up with humans and other lifeforms.

The monks' task is to pave the way for what is to come, and to call those who will hear their message to join them in prayer and hard work.

Interestingly enough, the place of religion and psychology has recently been in discussion regarding future Traveller developments, as of 2017.

I've always enjoyed that the Traveller universe is a big one and there is enough room in Charted Space for a little bit of everything and anything. Including a vast variety of beleif systems and religions.

I am pretty sure that Traveller was very intentionally created that way: Traveller is an open-ended story in which fans can fill in the blanks.

There are three essays here discussing some of these much loved and disputed "Traveller-isms":

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Theme

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

There is a canon Vilani religion, I seem to recall, presented as part of Vilani culture.

Say no more as loose lips will cause us to be thrown into the PIT.

Correct. There is some semi-canon information about Vilani beleif systems.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

I think religion must be part of the game even if only used as background. Religion has been , and still is, so closely tied to culture that it must be considered when worldbuilding a society. Religion provides inspriation for the arts as well as giving guidance on how individuals should properly act within a society. 'Dead' religions give a basis for legends, myths and folklore of a culture as well as various eveyday rituals for polite behaviour. As a result, religions also show a trail that can be followed concerning historical events within a culture and public justifications for various actions taken by a culture.

While it might be okay for characters to engage in theological debate, players and refs never should while playing.

Keeping within the rules.

Traveller is far enough in the future that GDW proposed fantasy religious organizations that replace our modern day cuture. It's interesting to think through what changes would be going on in the Rule of Man that could result in such a shift.

Avoiding real religion is the same thing Gary Gygax did with D&D. Sure Gary, Marc go to church, or other developers, but they kept it out of the games to avoid conflicts.

I think religion must be part of the game even if only used as background. Religion has been , and still is, so closely tied to culture that it must be considered when worldbuilding a society. Religion provides inspriation for the arts as well as giving guidance on how individuals should properly act within a society. 'Dead' religions give a basis for legends, myths and folklore of a culture as well as various eveyday rituals for polite behaviour. As a result, religions also show a trail that can be followed concerning historical events within a culture and public justifications for various actions taken by a culture.

While it might be okay for characters to engage in theological debate, players and refs never should while playing.

I agree.

I also agree with Savage.

In my own setting notes, I always include material about religion, and in games set in Earth/Terro-Humanity's future, this naturally includes some religions, or future developments thereof, that exist today and have been important in history.

But for GDW, I think leaving a blank for the Ref to fill in as he pleased, and as fit the needs and tastes of his group, was a smart choice.

Very excellent point. Thank you Ishmael. ;)

Keeping within the rules.

Traveller is far enough in the future that GDW proposed fantasy religious organizations that replace our modern day cuture. It's interesting to think through what changes would be going on in the Rule of Man that could result in such a shift.

Avoiding real religion is the same thing Gary Gygax did with D&D. Sure Gary, Marc go to church, or other developers, but they kept it out of the games to avoid conflicts.

Also with D and D there is always religious war. As the gods run the gambit of good to evil and law to chaos. Even gods of similar alignment can have conflicts with one another.

Also with Steve Jackson Games there is a product that has Medieval Christianity, Isalm, and Judaism, as part of the World's background. Populations stolen from our world's past by mishap of high elf magic. Just a very odd yet very interesting concept; Sorcerey: what happens when it all goes wrong...:eek:

It requires the Dungeonmaster to have a feel from his players as to how comfortable they are with any or all aspects of the religious experience.

I'm looking at you, Church of Sharess.

Reminder:
[m;]No arguing mod calls in thread. Report it if you want to appeal it.[/m;]

[m;]The board has, for years, restricted discussion of real world religions, in or out of game, to the pit.[/m;]

[m;]NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE GRANTED ON THIS SCORE[/m;]

Why? Because too many people are not mentally capable of remaining polite and neutral on the topic. And by putting it where only paying members can discuss it, it reduced the levels of trolling, whinging, and moderator time required drastically.

Back