• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Religious and Monastic Orders in Traveller?

Isn't it somethink like Techno-Theology, like the Machine is God?

Heh, Somethink, Must be Moose and Squirrel are affecting my horrible eastern European accent.
:D

You can always go Winslow.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winslow

slag-blah1.png

slag-blah2.png

Or Slag-Blah, for that matter.

Warhammer 40K contains a lot of ideas that could be used in Traveller.

The game designers "mined" a lot of sci fi literature: Herbert's Dune, Asimov's Foundation and Empire, etc. Far future weirdness.
The designers of 40K were Traveller 3rd Party publishers first. They were working on a Traveller Minis Game when GDW pulled the 3PP licenses... and suddenly, they were working on 40K...

The designers of 40K were Traveller 3rd Party publishers first. They were working on a Traveller Minis Game when GDW pulled the 3PP licenses... and suddenly, they were working on 40K...

Rogue Trader (I refer to the old tabletop wargame, not the newer RPG) seems like it would make pretty sweet ATU.

RT seems a bit more sci fi and a bit less fantasy than later editions.

That's probably due to the conspicuous absence of Chaos in RT (though the possibility of Chaos gods was implied by some text in RT and actually added, what, with Chapter Approved? In Realms of Chaos?). The Warp beings in RT appear to be alien species that the ignorant and fearful humans might call "demons."
Then again, what's the difference?

Orks and Tyrannids in Traveller would be interesting.

Rogue Trader (I refer to the old tabletop wargame, not the newer RPG) seems like it would make pretty sweet ATU.

RT seems a bit more sci fi and a bit less fantasy than later editions.

That's probably due to the conspicuous absence of Chaos in RT (though the possibility of Chaos gods was implied by some text in RT and actually added, what, with Chapter Approved? In Realms of Chaos?). The Warp beings in RT appear to be alien species that the ignorant and fearful humans might call "demons."
Then again, what's the difference?

Orks and Tyrannids in Traveller would be interesting.

Chaos isn't absent in RT; it is low-key in the WH40KRT hardcover. See page: 131, Warp Creatures; 132, Psychers; 142, Inquisitors; 174, beastmen; 202-207, Warp Creatures.

Not that on 206, Warp Entities, you have what later become called demons.. and an explanation for WHY they target Psychers.

That's a price of forcing version changes, losing content creation and added value.

Similar thing happens in the software biz.

Nice thing about most of Traveller is backwards compatibility, other then if specifics are not rendered in neutral terms like kph or common mechanisms like 3D damage, it can be a bit annoying to translate.

That's a price of forcing version changes, losing content creation and added value.

Similar thing happens in the software biz.

Nice thing about most of Traveller is backwards compatibility, other then if specifics are not rendered in neutral terms like kph or common mechanisms like 3D damage, it can be a bit annoying to translate.

The version change was 3 years later... GDW pulled most of the licenses in 1984.

Chaos isn't absent in RT; it is low-key in the WH40KRT hardcover. See page: 131, Warp Creatures; 132, Psychers; 142, Inquisitors; 174, beastmen; 202-207, Warp Creatures.

Not that on 206, Warp Entities, you have what later become called demons. and an explanation for WHY they target Psychers.

Yes, all that stuff is present, but not yet labelled as 'Chaos.'

Beastmen are abhumans, like Ogryns, Squats, etc. And they can serve (as cannon fodder) in Imperial forces. :)

The Chaos Gods aren't mentioned, unless maybe that line about ''laughter of thirsting gods'' counts (That's in the book's intro section, yes?). Which it probably does. I suspect GW intended to tie in Chaos from Fantasy, all along.

Aramis, you very likely know the publishing history of WH40 k better than I know it. Lexicanum research hasn't answered my query.

When exactly was the first explicit, clearly-identified appearance of Chaos in WH40k? I mean, when were Chaos gods first mentioned by name, Chaos space marines, all that?

I don't own Chapter Approved or any issues of WD, just the original RT book.

Yes, all that stuff is present, but not yet labelled as 'Chaos.'

Beastmen are abhumans, like Ogryns, Squats, etc. And they can serve (as cannon fodder) in Imperial forces. :)

The Chaos Gods aren't mentioned, unless maybe that line about ''laughter of thirsting gods'' counts (That's in the book's intro section, yes?). Which it probably does. I suspect GW intended to tie in Chaos from Fantasy, all along.

The only elements really missing are the name chaos and the specific Chaos "Gods"...

The Inquisition is there to fight the warp influence.
The Psychers are sealed to prevent being taken over by warp entities.

But let us not forget - the first descriptions of the Chaos Gods are also in the 1st edition era...

Coming back to target, the 40K imperium is defined by the religions within...
  • The civil cult of Emperor Worship
  • The Adeptus Astartes cult of Emperor Worship
  • The Adeptus Mechanicus' variant cult of Technology and Emperor Worship.
  • The Adeptus Administratum and the public cult of the Emperor
  • The various warp entity cults referenced in the prior pages referenced...
  • The Genestealer Cults (In 1E and 2E, not yet visibly tied to the Tyranids)
Essentially, the whole setting is an exploration of various forms that the Emperor's worshipers take to glorify and defend him and his empire.

Later editions don't much affect that. They unify the warp entities somewhat, with a subset called the Chaos Gods... later, mention of the others (and even one of the Chaos Gods) drop away... Along with the Squats, Zoats, and most of the abhumans.

My favorite add on, however, is the Adepta Sororitas...

Emperor worship is pretty much cultish, based on the agenda of the agency presenting or promoting that aspect.

The Chaos pantheon has four distinct entities, though their avatars seem to take on the most attractive or seductive traits for any particular worshipper or congregation.

Slaanesh may be the collective consciousness given form of the dark side of the Eldar, as may be the rest of the Chaos pantheon, though not necessarily from the Eldar psyche.

Or they may have always been there, and just get reincarnated with a sufficient psychic spark.

Emperor worship is pretty much cultish, based on the agenda of the agency presenting or promoting that aspect.

The Chaos pantheon has four distinct entities, though their avatars seem to take on the most attractive or seductive traits for any particular worshipper or congregation.

Slaanesh may be the collective consciousness given form of the dark side of the Eldar, as may be the rest of the Chaos pantheon, though not necessarily from the Eldar psyche.

Or they may have always been there, and just get reincarnated with a sufficient psychic spark.
It was originally 5... But they dropped the God of Murder along the way.

I think a widespread, official or semi-official anti-psi religion makes a lot of sense for the 3I as presented in Classic Traveller.

Isn't there an in-game reference to 'The Psionic Heresy' (the emphasis is mine)in the Library Data supplement or the Spinward Marches booklet?

I don't mean a universal state religion imposed on all people living on the many member worlds, but rather a Imperium-tier religion/quasi-religious ideology that enjoys Imperial favor and patronage.

RE WH40K-- Thanks for the additional info, Aramis.

And, like you, I like the Sisters of Battle.

Back