• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Research Station Gamma

The characters arrived on Vanegen last night - I made it a 40s noir world with a touch of communist East Germany thrown in for good measure. It was a blast. One of the characters has the skill 'electronics-6' (long-serving Merchant) and once his CV became known the ruling families began seeking his 'advice' through their varioius agents. At the close of the session, the travellers had been kidnapped by an opportunistic submarine commander who plans to trade the tech-genius for hard currency to the king!

Sounds like some swash-buckling fun!

I'm tellin' ya...have the Chirper Myrmidons rescue them!! Bows-n-arrows, riding miniature six legged horse analogues, wearing the local giant snail shells as armor (It's pretty, too!).

Vs. 1940's tech.

If you ever wanted to have a Nazi with a grease gun fight an aborigine* with a spear, now's the time!!

*Sounds like a cake walk for the Nazi? Give the Chirper some innate, limited, psionic power to even the fight! Then, let the PCs discover that these myrmidons are the reason the Imperium put the research station here in the first place!

Last edited:
Sounds like some swash-buckling fun!

I'm tellin' ya...have the Chirper Myrmidons rescue them!! Bows-n-arrows, riding miniature six legged horse analogues, wearing the local giant snail shells as armor (It's pretty, too!).

Vs. 1940's tech.

If you ever wanted to have a Nazi with a grease gun fight an aborigine* with a spear, now's the time!!

*Sounds like a cake walk for the Nazi? Give the Chirper some innate, limited, psionic power to even the fight! Then, let the PCs discover that these myrmidons are the reason the Imperium put the research station here in the first place!

Hehe, If the Myrmidons can rescue the PCs they might as well go to the Research Station and rescue the nest-mates. The PCs will be out of a job :rofl:

Hehe, If the Myrmidons can rescue the PCs they might as well go to the Research Station and rescue the nest-mates. The PCs will be out of a job :rofl:

This a good point...but...

You forgot about the PROPHECY! Those that would come from the stars to lead the Myrmidons to...

Well after many weeks of play planetside, the characters will finally arrive at the Research Station tomorrow.

On the way they got into a spot of trouble though... long story short, the characters found themselves on a Royal Navy sub during a pirate attack. One thing leads to another and they steal the sub in the fog of battle for the purposes of sailing to the station.

However, the station itself is a tiny bit bland in my opinon - any clues on how I can spice it up for the PC's arrival?

However, the station itself is a tiny bit bland in my opinon - any clues on how I can spice it up for the PC's arrival?

I haven't run this, and I am a rubbish GM generally, so take my words with a pinch of salt. You might try playing up the sparseness of the station itself, but make the inhabitants suitably bonkers. Okay there is only one human there, but he is a prime candidate for the loony bin, and he has had free run to reprogram the robots, and to adopt a few of the specimens as pets. You could give him an Egor if you like.

Add personality programs to the robots so there is a bit more interaction, make then appear harmless, then turn them into crazed killers ;)

I haven't run this, and I am a rubbish GM generally, so take my words with a pinch of salt. You might try playing up the sparseness of the station itself, but make the inhabitants suitably bonkers. Okay there is only one human there, but he is a prime candidate for the loony bin, and he has had free run to reprogram the robots, and to adopt a few of the specimens as pets. You could give him an Egor if you like.
I always thought it odd that the Imperium wouldn't spring for a proper research staff (it seems kind of mean and cheeseparing, doesn't it?), so if I ever run it, I'll have the station hold rooms for a decent number of underlings, only they're all empty. The Director got rid of them one by one (Just firing them without hiring new ones or something more sinister?) Though I like Andrew's suggestion about an Igor.

Hans

I always thought it odd that the Imperium wouldn't spring for a proper research staff ...

RSG is a sandbox. Like many GDW adventures, it's an adventure location. Its meant to be used as a building block in a GM's campaign, not "as-is" as with the more traditional TSR D&D adventure modules where everything is scripted and presented for the GM.

GDW took the other approach to writing adventures. It provided some interesting concepts and locations while the GM is supposed to take those concepts and locations and meld them into his game. Where a Dungeon Master running Tomb of Horrors will have a game pretty similiar to some other DM running the same module, a Game Master running Research Station Gamma is likely to have a game completely different from another GM running the same adventure.

If scientists are what you think the adventure needs, then you're encouraged to generate some scientist NPCs along with anything else you think you might need in your sandbox.

Might as well trhow in by two bits (with change)..

At the start the module is 'boring', and then jump it up.

The PC's stumble around the station, the robots either ignore them or act as usless aides (I'm sorry, sir. Your visitor clearance does not allow access to that information). Computer logs indicate the station was abandoned and 'sterilized' for unknown reasons.

Once the PC's get to the Chriper sphere (or when you feel like it) there is a rumble and you start getting alarms and flashing red lights indicating a biohazard containment breach on one of the lower levels.

The computer then states a "Stage 1 quarantine alert", Sphere Z is contaminated" and starts sealing the station, and the robots then refuse to let the PC's leave.
A bit later another announcement is for a "Stage two alert" due to ventilation systems failure and that spheres X,Y,Z are now contaminated - throw in the klaxons, steam jets and flashing red lights.
Another rumble and "Stage 3. Commence Sterilization" begins. Of course sterilization means all station personnel - including visitors.

And if they do make it back to their sub - "Alert. Departure denied. Stage 3 quarantine alert. Docking clamps engaged and locked".

Thanks for all the tips folks, tonights game will be better because of them.

By-the-by, the module does give an explanation of why there's only one occupant...

Well, it turns out that the station is not bland after all. Two thirds of the team were knocked unconscious by robot laser fire (no casualties though) and one very heroic characte expoded through the roof with a fist-full of torn cables and electrocuted one of the droids.

They stole an Air/Raft and are now headed north to reunite the Chirpers.

They will have trouble leaving the planet though - they believe (rightly) that some angry Vanegen military types are waiting for the PCs to return to their ship...

Did they not meet the Psonics in the high gravity globe?

They would have given the PCs a hand in getting back onto their ship ...

Regards,

Ewan

Did they not meet the Psonics in the high gravity globe?

They would have given the PCs a hand in getting back onto their ship ...

Regards,

Ewan

They were so stricken with fear after meeting one of the robots they fled in a stolen air/raft as soon as they could!

It'll be an interesting session when they try and recover their scout ship so all ends well!

Back