• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rethinking skills

That does appear to be the assumptions of Trav.

IMTU there would be separate cascade skills for fusion and jump. The concepts and machinery are unrelated. Dirtside careers may get fusion, but only Navy or Civilian Merchant services will get jump.

MT Sensors skill mirrors communications.

Liam: I originally discovered the non-repair bit during the T20 playtest...

Originally posted by Straybow:
IMTU there would be separate cascade skills for fusion and jump. The concepts and machinery are unrelated. Dirtside careers may get fusion, but only Navy or Civilian Merchant services will get jump.
Hmmm... Doesn't the Jump-Drive have a fast-burning fusion reactor within it to generate enough energy for the jump (IIRC one of the possible explanations for the need for jump-fuel).

Also, as most shipboard engineers would work on all drives (especially in small ships), I'd give them the Engineering skill, covering all drive types; I don't know about dirtsiders, though.

Any ship's Engr IMTU would do routine maintenance and operation of the equipment, but that's comparable to 20th century fission-powered Navy ships. The reactor is sealed. Only a shipyard could work on it, generally by cutting the hull and pulling the reactor vessel.

It isn't quite that bad, but cold fusion Auxiliary would require "clean room" robotically assisted micro-welding for any internal repairs. Main power is hot fusion, and the core is not something you can work on by hand even after it cools down.

You could equip your Engr space with robotic manipulators and specialized equipment to work on the Main. It would add substantially to the cost of the PP and anything that damaged the PP would almost certainly damage the repair equipment.

Back