• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Revisiting the Maghiz

So.
How did Tarnis change?
How could the Maghiz have an affect over twenty light years without Tarnis blowing itself to bits.

In order to cause the amount of damage felt over twenty light years away there is much more than a couple of dozen colossal solar flares going on.

And the star type should have changed considerably.

Jumpspace portal opened due to interactions of the probes? If jump space is dangerous to ordinary matter and a bubble of hydrogen protects the jumping ship in transit, what happens to the hydrogen? Define dangerous. Better yet, what if you dumped a significant portion of a superheated stellar core (hydrogen, helium or what heavier elements are down there fusing), into said portal?

Somebody managed to initiate jump within the stars gravity well?

Bad decisions were made, bad dice rolls followed and hilarity ensued.

Jumpspace portal opened due to interactions of the probes? If jump space is dangerous to ordinary matter and a bubble of hydrogen protects the jumping ship in transit, what happens to the hydrogen? Define dangerous. Better yet, what if you dumped a significant portion of a superheated stellar core (hydrogen, helium or what heavier elements are down there fusing), into said portal?
A bubble of hydrogen doesn't protect the ship.
I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about the effect on Tarnis.
The Maghiz was triggered by handwavium, but the effect of removing all that matter and energy from the star should have an affect on its spectral type, or even blow it apart completely.
My handwavium, the probes and the meson beams created two zones of neutronium - two mini white dwarves if you like, inside the star. These crashed into each other and triggered the eruption.

A bubble of hydrogen doesn't protect the ship.
I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about the effect on Tarnis.
The Maghiz was triggered by handwavium, but the effect of removing all that matter and energy from the star should have an affect on its spectral type, or even blow it apart completely.
My handwavium, the probes and the meson beams created two zones of neutronium - two mini white dwarves if you like, inside the star. These crashed into each other and triggered the eruption.

Interesting take on the cause of the Maghiz.

If you assume that the current stats for the Daryen system are the canon for "NOW", then perhaps Tarnis was originally an F-Type star. Some of the flare material would not necessarily be entirely lost to the system and might eventually have re-accreted back onto the stellar surface in time.

The mass-loss of the star would have likely caused the orbit of Daryen to increase its semi-major-axis. The resulting combined lower stellar output/luminosity and increased distance from the primary would have resulted in a general cooling of the planetary climate. You could perhaps handwave the possibility that the radiation caused the release and/or decomposition of some bound chemicals in the planetary crust into the upper atmosphere that acted as a greenhouse gas to some degree.

I would also agree that probably some type of unspecified "jumpspace-physics" or similar higher-order physics related phenomenon was involved in order to explain away dome of the conceptual difficulties.

Could have been the result of someone poking at some ancient relic/weapon and set off the boobytrap.

May even have been testing of a prototype of the famed Star Trigger.

Back