• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Roles of the Referee

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
This is from Marvel Superheroes. They explain pretty well how to run the game.

If you think there's a different way that Traveller runs the game in general, could you point it out, please?
_____

The specific roles of the Judge are:

Describe the situation to Players, from the Player-Characters' viewpoint.
- Set the Stage
- Tell the Tale
- Narrate
- Describe what the Player Characters see
- Fill in the background

Answer the Player's questions and clarify statements.
- Provide the Information that lets them Triumph

Role-play the various Non-Player Characters (NPCs) the player-characters encounter.
- Operate the Non-Player Characters

Handle game mechanics.
- Provide the challenges for the Heroes
- Decide if a Character's action is successful

Make rulings when called upon in game situations.
- Mediate
_____

How does that look for Roles of the Referee?

I dunno about the triumph part. The Traveller ref is usually more about the cold hard universe/win some lose some ethos.
I think the part about providing the information to let them triumph still rings true - even if they don’t actually do any triumphing.

If you never provide information or are always misdirecting players (even when they make an effort to gather all the information necessary) you’re not really creating a fun game.

Of course the opposite is true, the referee has no obligation to provide ‘hidden’ information about on the players just so they win if they don’t perform any actions to obtain the info.

I think the part about providing the information to let them triumph still rings true - even if they don’t actually do any triumphing.

If you never provide information or are always misdirecting players (even when they make an effort to gather all the information necessary) you’re not really creating a fun game.

Of course the opposite is true, the referee has no obligation to provide ‘hidden’ information about on the players just so they win if they don’t perform any actions to obtain the info.
Indifferent universe doesn’t mean actively opposing at all times. Some elements should be helping and with earned/smart action they should be able to get their information. It’s a different mentality though from the dues ex machine of most superpower storylines.

Indifferent universe doesn’t mean actively opposing at all times. Some elements should be helping and with earned/smart action they should be able to get their information. It’s a different mentality though from the dues ex machine of most superpower storylines.
I agree the tone is different (mostly) between a superhero game and a traveller game but I think that the idea that the referee/GM/storyteller/DM/etc supplies the information that the players need to succeed/fail is pretty universal across all RPGs, genres and tones.

I thought the KILLER DM was supposed to KILL the characters off ... that's the way the Modules always seemed designed in D&D. ;)

How did ANYONE ever survive the Tomb of Horrors. I don't even know how that's possible, and if it was, it seems miserable.

"We go 10 feet, check for secret doors. Check for traps." "Me too!" "Me too!"

"Ok, go another 10 feet, check for ..."

Whee!
From my understanding gygax made the module specifically to troll challenge two of his players who’d made powerful nigh immortal characters.

It was then released so DMs could deny the hubris of players who believe their characters mightier than all others.

How did ANYONE ever survive the Tomb of Horrors. I don't even know how that's possible, and if it was, it seems miserable.

"We go 10 feet, check for secret doors. Check for traps." "Me too!" "Me too!"

"Ok, go another 10 feet, check for ..."

Whee!
My most vivid memory was the Final Encounter in a Module for Level 1-3 characters where the Leader cast a spell (iirc - "Cloudkill") that states in its description that anyone of 4 HD and above gets a saving throw and anyone below 4 HD is killed instantly. Do you know how many Level 1-3 characters have 4+ HD? Everyone died with no save. We accused the DM of getting that encounter wrong, but he showed us the module and THAT is exactly what TSR called for. An epic "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" were they thinking moment.

That was the LAST module I ever used without rewriting the adventure myself ...
[and shortly before I traded D&D for Traveller ... At least when you die in CHARGEN, you got to roll for survival. ;) ]

Last edited:
This is from Marvel Superheroes. They explain pretty well how to run the game.

If you think there's a different way that Traveller runs the game in general, could you point it out, please?
_____

_____

How does that look for Roles of the Referee?
"Provide the Information that lets them Triumph" is overly broad and could mean many things.

Better would be: "Make is POSSIBLE for PCs to obtain information that will allow them to succeed IF they really try and then act upon it correctly."

"Provide the Information that lets them Triumph" is overly broad and could mean many things.

Better would be: "Make is POSSIBLE for PCs to obtain information that will allow them to succeed IF they really try and then act upon it correctly."
I mean it's a marvel superhero game that Spinward Scout took the quote from. Grandiose and bombastic statements that ultimately don't mean anything are on brand :ROFLMAO: .

I mean it's a marvel superhero game that Spinward Scout took the quote from. Grandiose and bombastic statements that ultimately don't mean anything are on brand :ROFLMAO: .
I think I played an RPG called Champions around 80 or 81. Bombastic, yes

Back