• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Suggested Essential Reading in the T5 Book

What parts did your player find interesting?

I am supposing he doesn't know what parts of T5 are interesting because he didn't read it, and so can't furnish an opinion. Maybe a chicken-and-egg problem; if he knew what was interesting he could create an excerpted version, but to know what was interesting he would have to read everything! Maybe he's intimidated by the size of the book; I didn't ask his motivation...

I am supposing he doesn't know what parts of T5 are interesting because he didn't read it, and so can't furnish an opinion. Maybe a chicken-and-egg problem; if he knew what was interesting he could create an excerpted version, but to know what was interesting he would have to read everything! Maybe he's intimidated by the size of the book; I didn't ask his motivation...

I don't blame him. Back in 1980 even the Little Black Books intimidated me, whereas the Dungeon Master's Guide never did. Something about the sandbox nature of the game, and the vastness of space travel, kept me from trying it out.

I'm a little late to this party, but...

This was an interesting comment by Mike Wightman from another thread a while back:

I read that quote when Mike originally wrote it and took it to heart. Makers are now an in-game feature of pretty much everywhere TL10+ and the higher the TL, the faster, cheaper and more efficient the makers are in My Traveller Universe.

Regarding The Makers as they appear in the BBB -- I'm a huge fan of MOARN as a concept and I would overload that acronym to include Make Only As Really Necessary. You want a motorcycle? Best to just skip Vehicle Maker and assign a reasonable max and cruising speed to it. Do you want a special motorcycle that your character had designed and made? OK, let's break out Vehicle Maker and see what we come up with. But the book, all of it, is always available to my players.

The most important aspect of a good RPG is that the players have to trust the GM. They have to trust that you'll be fair and the best way to demonstrate that is through transparency. e.g. "These are the systems used to make stuff."

Now, I'd like to throw in a little MTU... :rolleyes:

I have makers everywhere TL10+ now. The characters have a maker on their ship that's loaded with standard templates for stuff like basic weapons, tools, equipment, and food -- I even threw in templates for vacc and enviro suits. One of the characters spent her Jump Space week tinkering with the maker to produce her favorite Scotch whiskey. They can even use the maker to print some parts for equipment on the ship -- like the Air/Raft they just wrecked.

To me, it just seems so obvious that 3D printing is going to replace large scale, 3rd party manufacturing. Designers will be highly sought after to create templates for makers. The big players, the super high TL MegaCorps, they will have enormous makers that can build starships.

Regarding The Makers as they appear in the BBB -- I'm a huge fan of MOARN as a concept and I would overload that acronym to include Make Only As Really Necessary. You want a motorcycle? Best to just skip Vehicle Maker and assign a reasonable max and cruising speed to it.

Yes, yes, and yes again. Don't use the makers unless you have to. And usually, you don't have to. Especially in-game. That last thing my group ever needed was more distractions.

Back