• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ropleplayers versus Gearhead/grognards

Ropleplayers versus Gearheads which are you?

• I roleplay and do gearhead stuff.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Craig:
Also, most roleplaying occurs during game sessions, and is done on the fly. People post to this forum between sessions, when they are doing "gearhead" stuff, rather than roleplaying. I would suggest that it is a good thing that the forums haven't degenerated into a GNS flamewar like I have seen on other sites.
I am not advocating a flame war Craig. The playful "in character sport, I mention at the beginning of this list is a play, acted out by 4 members of this forum, but as a Trav adventure, not just silly name calling.

You miss my point. a classic forest for the trees lad. True, roleplaying tends to happen at game sessions MOSTLY.

But it shouldn't PREVENT you from talking about the good, funny, or touching moments that occur(ed)there. I can't sit in on every GM's game that comes to this forum. Nor they mine. But they, an their players come to it.

1300 some odd members on this list, yet only a handful had good enough times to talk about it? Thats my point. Balance, not an overthrow. We can't just run out of here into some pub, hoist a mug and brag what are PCs just did last wekend to the mundane world. We come to places like here. If thats not your cuppa tea, I'm sorry Craig. I respect your points. I can see where you're at, and where your' coming from.

I ask you though.

Can you see my view as easily?
</font>[/QUOTE]I can see your view, Liam, and I do not disagree with you. I was simply offering a possible explanation for the lack of actual roleplaying posts as opposed to gear posts. Another factor I see is time. I can't speak for everyone, but I am married with two kids. That seriously limits my gaming time. However, I can fit in some gear-time during lunch at work, or after the kids go to sleep. Yes, I would like to see more RP war stories, but I'm just not in a position to contribute any right now.

As for the flame war reference, I was not talking about anything that was happening on this forum. I was talking about events that I have seen elsewhere, and hope never happen here.

Craig posted-"I can see your view, Liam, and I do not disagree with you. I was simply offering a possible explanation for the lack of actual roleplaying posts as opposed to gear posts. Another factor I see is time. I can't speak for everyone, but I am married with two kids. That seriously limits my gaming time. However, I can fit in some gear-time during lunch at work, or after the kids go to sleep. Yes, I would like to see more RP war stories, but I'm just not in a position to contribute any right now.

As for the flame war reference, I was not talking about anything that was happening on this forum. I was talking about events that I have seen elsewhere, and hope never happen here.'

Aye the devil of all is time. I have children too, not including the four legged kind (2 cats, 3 labradors). I work at nights, and all else at home goes by days. Only on weekends is their total unity for anything more than a span of hours.
I should be sleeping right now, truthfully, but an answer requires an answer, and you have done the office fairly, and well. I am not accusing anyone here of shirKing some sort of "duty to write to the list", I am commenting on the lack of certain types of post, and wondering (aloud as we do in these posts), why is that so?
We make time for what we want to do most. In the vast slowness of my shift is when i do most of my writing, creating. I only game OP/week., and not every weekend, a Drill comes once a month too. NOt always am I at the helm of the GM seat (thankfully). Once upon a time and three children less, I gamed thrice a week. We change, we have more demands on our time. we grow older, and hopefully Craig, wiser.

A most excellent response, and well worded. I am encouraged by your tone, and use of words of their honest intent. And salute you! 5 stars for you and this debate! You earned em lad.

Liam

[Aye the devil of all is time. I have children too, not including the four legged kind (2 cats, 3 labradors). I work at nights, and all else at home goes by days. Only on weekends is their total unity for anything more than a sapn of hours.
I should be sleeping right now, truthfully, but an answer requires an answer, and you have done the office fairly, and well. I am not accusing anyone here fo shirKing some sort of "duty to write to the list", I am commenting on the lack of certain types of post, and wondering (aloud as we do in these posts), why is that so?
We make time for what we want to do most. In the vast slowness of my shift is when i do most of my writing, creating. I only game OP/week., and not every weekend, a Drill comes once a month too. NOt always am I at the helm of the GM seat (thankfully). Once upon atime and three children less, I gamed thrice a week. We change, we have more demands on our time. we grow older, and hopefully Craig, wiser.

A most excellent response, and well worded. I am encouraged by your tone, and use of words of their honest intent. And salute you! % stars for you and this debate! You earned em lad.

Liam[/QB]
There are times, good sir, that you remind me of Mr. Higgen's version more than others. This is one of them. OTOH, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Time is always the bugbear in any of this. I get, anymore, at best, 4 rp sessions a year. I (literally alas) can't remember the last time I actually played a version of Traveller somewhere other than in my own mind. (T20 may change this. I've got the group I occasionally play with over to DnD3, so perhaps...).

I have my own tales, but they aren't what I'm interested in sharing right now. Nor am I going to bore anyone with my designs for the most part (I have been known to participate in contests for ships or characters, but that's a different issue.)

All I look for here is interesting information. I do the TML (high noise, but very high value veins when you hit ore), JTAS (low noise, consistant medium+ ore) as well as here (yet to be determined, but closing in rapidly on the TML for noise). I can only take a shot here and there - why do you think I have only 250ish posts in well over a year? It isn't my shirking violet personality, let me tell you.

So here I am. Gearhead, grognard, rollplayer (where/when necessary) and roleplayer. With a little grace I may have a chance or three to be all of those thing occasionaly again.

William

William said-"There are times, good sir, that you remind me of Mr. Higgen's version more than others. This is one of them. OTOH, that's not necessarily a bad thing."

"Time is always the bugbear in any of this. I get, anymore, at best, 4 rp sessions a year. I (literally alas) can't remember the last time I actually played a version of Traveller somewhere other than in my own mind. (T20 may change this. I've got the group I occasionally play with over to DnD3, so perhaps...).

I have my own tales, but they aren't what I'm interested in sharing right now. Nor am I going to bore anyone with my designs for the most part (I have been known to participate in contests for ships or characters, but that's a different issue.)

All I look for here is interesting information. I do the TML (high noise, but very high value veins when you hit ore), JTAS (low noise, consistant medium+ ore) as well as here (yet to be determined, but closing in rapidly on the TML for noise). I can only take a shot here and there - why do you think I have only 250ish posts in well over a year? It isn't my shirking violet personality, let me tell you.

So here I am. Gearhead, grognard, rollplayer (where/when necessary) and roleplayer. With a little grace I may have a chance or three to be all of those thing occasionaly again."

A most excellent response, and well worded. I am encouraged by your tone, and use of words of their honest intent. And salute you! 5 stars for you and this debate! You earned em lad.

Liam[/QB]
Thank you for your most kind and courteous response. I will recall my battle fleets at once.

Craig

Craig posted-"Thank you for your most kind and courteous response. I will recall my battle fleets at once.

Blessed Be upon thy house and all within, Craig!

Ahem. Rules are used to enhance play, and nothing else. My group tends to ripsaw rules lawyers into bloody gibbets before I do, becuase they know how much the little bastards irritate me. And I tend to bangalore torpedo the little cretins before they get too far.
FF&S is useful to me becuase detail in ships has always been one of the nifty things about traveller (how much cargo can I carry & how fast can I run away from the imperial cruiser has always been a factor to consider). But it should not be abused by some weeb with a developmental adjustment problem. Such people should be fed to the K'kree as an example of the golden rule: That Shalt Not Annoy The GM.
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Jewels:
Ahem. Rules are used to enhance play, and nothing else. My group tends to ripsaw rules lawyers into bloody gibbets before I do, becuase they know how much the little bastards irritate me. And I tend to bangalore torpedo the little cretins before they get too far.
FF&S is useful to me becuase detail in ships has always been one of the nifty things about traveller (how much cargo can I carry & how fast can I run away from the imperial cruiser has always been a factor to consider). But it should not be abused by some weeb with a developmental adjustment problem. Such people should be fed to the K'kree as an example of the golden rule: That Shalt Not Annoy The GM.
file_23.gif
Again, welcome to the boards, Jewels! I like FF&S for the same reason. I have two copies, in case a player wants to "create" something...buts it been six years since the last one did that. And Dweeb's with attitude problems get sorted quick.
And the rest of the gamers won't tolerate a fool either. Had one of those...sent him packing. Came back seven years later, and had actually thanked me (& the gang) fer setting him straight.
Runs Ithklur Marines now, pretty well. But like as not, he's been the exception to take the advice and do something with it.

Stars fer you!

Hi gang - here it is 12:30 am...just got off work...jumped on the the ol Gateway...and i find a very interesting thread....i have to throw my two credits in...(oops damn, just dropped them in my Coffe Juice)...o well...any way...i guess its time to admit i turning into a grognard.....with working "swings" and "overtime" i now have little or no time to actually play, and with having strange days off its a real problem to find some one to get together with....Nurd Boy and I want to...but having SUNDAY and MONDAY off just SUCKS BIG TIME...so i sit here and design worlds, ships,cargos, weapons, ect, ect....its realy quite sad....i got all these geat ideas bubbling around in my head..(and its not the coffee juice)!! and no way to put them into play!!!...guess im feeling sorry for my self....then i read this thread and i relize..there a WHOLE BUNCH OF US IN THE SAME BOAT!!!.....some times RabidVargr drops me a line...and i cant even answer him...when hes off duty i gotta go to work!!!...we both want to write and submit some stuff.....but whose got the time!!!!.....sorry RV - i am not a chump....i try again to contact you.....any way i am BEAT....maybe I will spill my guts again at al later date.....i almost erased this...but what the hell...maybe it will help someone to realize that there not alone :(

TJ - a cry from the heart -

I too know what it is plot an adventure, build the ships, spec out the NPC, design trade routes, cargo tables - and have nobody to play with.

I hear you buddy.

With work being so variable, I can't commit to a regular gaming session, so there is no point me looking for a group. (Yes I've always had commitment problems)

Well, TJ..yer not alone on the swing shifters-so am I, Sun Nights to Fri mornin's. I used to have Tue-Weds off till one of the Swing shifters grew shiftless and was shafted/fired. I got her time slot now..
I'm not condemnin' anyone here fer bein one thing or another. I empathize with you though. RL has its own pull on me time. House, yard, dogs, cats, kids growin up, the missus, the ex-wife..hey, We're all in this together. Carvin out a game night gets tough on a month by month basis.
Had a twelve month deployment interrupt me latest one too..so, Make do, Like I do. Do the best you can with what you have.

Another night worker here. I'm on graves, Wednesday nights to Sunday mornings. I start at 21:00 each night and work two 8's and two 12's. Those back to back twelves make Saturday a real short day -- gotta sleep sometime in there.

I like having 3 days off but my actual weekends consist mostly of sleeping after work. I'm conscious Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday days. Plays heck with trying to get together with folks. I get to game Sunday nights every two or three weeks these days.

I'm a computer operater and have a fair amount of free time at work between changing tapes and running backups and stuff. A good bit of the time is being there to jump in if something goes wrong. Fortunately I work for some enlightened folks and as long as everything gets done on time I can read or surf the net or whatever in between. So you'll see a lot of my posts late at night.

//He's a real/no where man/sitting in his no where land/making all his no where plans for nobody// -- Beatles.

I used to think that was my theme song during the 10 to fifeteen year gaming dry spell I had.

I still work crazy shifts. and half my fellow gamers are ten years my junior but... I'm playing and running in some campaigns now. I guess my message is "you are not alone" AND "patience this to shall pass"

Goddess knows I scribbled enough ideas down in Egypt. I've scarcely begun to use em all, or post some here, or inflict em into the campaign (which has returned with fits and stops).
Welcome back Shane! ;)

Back