• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Scoundrels of Brixton

I've read the Scoundrels review over at The Gaming Gang by Jeff McAleer. They've done a decent job in describing the game add ons that constitute Scoundrels game and the Brixton system. However, I would take issue with their comment that "one or the other essentially" because "much of the content [in Scoundrels of Brixton] is found in Scoundrels" meaning you could buy just Scoundrels OR Scoundrels of Brixton, but you don't need both. He's right that there is SOME overlap, but this is in the nature of some of the background (eg: mainly the gangs and characters in and around those gangs) but this is fairly minor in my view and essentially they are different products. So for me the 3 books complement each other rather than replace each other. So yes, they will work alone, but work much better as a set. I've taken issue with this seemingly small issue simply because I think Scoundrels, as a set, is one of the most engaging and innovative Cepheus Engine focused toolbox I've seen in a long time. So I want it to succeed. Go check it out for yourselves and see what you think - Tim

UPDATE: Scoundrels of Brixton, SU1: Phantoms of Unov, the third issue in the series, is still on track for a late summer Kickstarter. Jeff and I are in the process of final edits to the content, as well as creation of maps and other interior images. As the lead developer, I'm really excited about this issue. Killer adventures and NPCs. Art by Ian Stead. Starship deck plans courtesy of Grant Richards. Stay tuned for additional updates and, as always, I appreciate your patience and support.

- Adam

Also, if anyone has used the Scoundrels of Brixton setting at your table, in any fashion, either in a stand-alone or on-going campaign, I'd love to hear about.

UPDATE: Scoundrels of Brixton is back with fundraising for the third issue scheduled to launch next week on Kickstarter! Click the link and smash the "Notify me" button to receive a reminder when the campaign begins (this also helps to promote the project).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1580058713/scoundrels-of-brixton-phantoms-of-unov?ref=9evayp

This is a huge issue, with 48 pages of useful Cepheus Engine content. Here's a summary of what's inside:

MAKE YOUR GAMES CRIMINAL!
Scoundrels of Brixton returns with SU1: Phantoms of Unov! Referees running crime-themed sci-fi campaigns are provided with a gang of interstellar drug manufacturers, a new starship and a savage planet harboring sinister secrets. There's also a new line-up of challenging missions and shady NPCs in this RPG setting geared for players craving mayhem and moral dilemma.

WHAT IS SCOUNDRELS?

Phantoms of Unov is the third in a series of supplements exploring the Brixton solar system. Cepheus Engine mechanics make it simple for referees to digest and adapt to nearly any sci-fi setting (it's compatible with Traveller, even Mothership) with little preparation. Each issue is packed with adventures, NPCs, and detailed background and art, all packaged in a high-quality, compact format.

If this is your first visit to the Brixton System, now is the perfect time to pick up the first two issues as a reward tier or add-on!

WHAT'S INSIDE?

* The Phantoms:
Ruthless narcotics manufacturers, led by an ex-pirate, disgraced scientist, political radical and an aging soldier of fortune.

* The Phantom of Unov: Background and stats on this new TL12 starship, with art by Ian Stead and deck plans courtesy of Grant Richards.

* The Planet Unov: Rich history and downport details, everything needed to adventure on a savage hellworld with mysterious alien ruins.

* 3 Additional Factions & Gangs: A cult of extortionists and extremists, dubious corsairs and a corrupt occupation military force.

* 20 NPCs: Each with comprehensive stats, personalities and equipment.

* 18 Missions: High-risk adventures around the Brixton System, with challenges and moral dilemmas to test the wit and will of your players.

* New Robot & Fiends: Stay out of the crosshairs of the NexusCorp Prowler or outwit the supernatural wraiths stalking Unov's alien ruins.

* 4 Equipment Write-Ups: A new handgun and grenade, ultra-light vacc suit, even a portable hacking device.

* 3 Addictive Narcotics: Manufacture, traffic or get stoned on Black Lotus, Blue Lotus or Red Orchid.

DETAILED CONTENT

A Rich Setting

Concise information, deck plans and maps to fully engage in criminal activities onboard the Phantom of Unov, Unov's alien ruins and downport, in addition to the planets Deluvia, Buwei, Veronca and Brixton's outer belt. All the details needed to bring this sci-fi setting to life.

Adventure Hooks

There's 6 scenarios decicated the Phantoms and 6 more involving Unov, with other jobs connected to content featured in SD1: Under a Hard Sun and SD2: The Clean Hands. Each mission gives the referee flexibility to tailor the action to the needs of their players.

Criminal organizations

In addition to going in-depth with the Phantoms, there's three new crime outfits presented in the original Scoundrels format, each with background, strengths and weaknesses, character stats and other info for playable NPCs, and at least one adventure scenario.

Corrupt Characters

Each of the 20 NPCs in this issue is more cruel, shady and clever, combining moral complexity with adjustable stats and equipment, allowing referee's to insert them into the action to harass, help and otherwise complicate the lives of their player characters.

WHAT'S NEXT?

We're essentially finished with the design and layout of this issue. The first proof has been ordered and we expect minimal revisions before releasing the digital version. With other exciting projects in development, our aim is to get copies into your hands as quickly as possible.

Future Content

Scoundrels of Brixton, SU1: Phantoms of Unov
, is the product of two highly successful Kickstarter campaigns. The fourth issue in the series is in early development, along with plans for full conversions for Mothership and Mongoose Traveller 2nd Edition. RPG Ramblings appreciates the support of our backers and looks forward to the opportunity to bring more adventure, intrigue and other high-quality content to your gaming table.

Thanks again for letting me spread the word about this setting. I'll try to post more updates and sneak peeks of the content throughout the Kickstarter (which is the best way to purchase the issues at a cheaper cost than on DriveThru or direct from the publisher).

All the best, Adam.

Already signed up, will the campaign include the ability to buy printed copies of the earlier works?
Absolutely. There's gonna be an option to receive the current issue plus the two previous ones in a bundle. Lots of other add-on options, as well. The publisher usually makes all their products available (at a lower price) during Kickstarter campaigns.

Scoundrels of Brixton: Phantoms of Unov is officially fundraising on Kickstarter! Think Breaking Bad meets Call of Cthulhu ... in OUTER SPACE! There's a new starship (with art and deck plans by Ian Stead & Grant Richards), a haunted planet, shady NPCs and loads of other entertaining content. This is the third installment in the series and a strong Kickstarter helps fund more issues. Saw the proof copy last night and it looks amazing! Jeff did a fantastic job with a challenging design and fans of the little black books will appreciate the compact format. Even if you never run an adventure in the Brixton System, I guarantee you'll find at least one useful element to enhance the action in any Cepheus Engine, Traveller or other sci-fi campaign. I'm real proud of this one, thanks for letting me spread the word and all your interest.
- Adam
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1580058713/scoundrels-of-brixton-phantoms-of-unov?ref=9evayp

Reminder that this is the final week to back the Kickstarter for Scoundrels of Brixton: Phantoms of Unov. The fundraising campaign is the most cost-efficient way to purchase current and back issues of the series. For example, a PDF is only $3 through the Kickstarter, and only $9 for PDFs of all three issues. But you'd spend $8 for a single PDF on DriveThru. The publisher sells print+PDF copies direct for $18, but via the Kickstarter they're $16. There's also a lot of interesting add-on products available, too. Appreciate all the interest and support. You guys are great.

have you mentioned this on the Mongoose forums?
Wish I could. I don't believe we're allowed to as it's not a Mongoose product or affiliated with the company. RPG Ramblings is planning a MgT2 conversion in the future, which I think should allow posts over on their forum. Matt, however, is aware of the project.

I want to thank everyone who supported the Kickstarter for Scoundrels of Brixton: Phantoms of Unov. The campaign gained a bunch of new backers and, most importantly, raised enough to keep the series sustainable. I'll post reviews and updates when available. Please feel free to share your thoughts in this thread.

Adam

Back