• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Seeking Clarification and Advice - NPC Design and Creation

Well, I'm back seeking more information about how Traveller 5th edition works - with all its beautiful mechanics. Now, forewarning, I've yet to invest in getting Imperiallines Issue #6 or Issue #7. And I am seeking clarification on high Social NPCs, so I did what research I could on Nobles both through the Core Rule book and what is written on these forums about Imperiallines Issue #7.

Let me start by offering some background, I'm putting together my first Traveller campaign. It'll be the first time I've refereed/moderated any game before too. Although technically I guess I moderated some topics on a forum role-playing game, but that was quite different. Hosting an in-person game requires more planning and on-the-fly thinking.

For my first adventure that I've been crafting, I plan on introduced some NPCs that I'm hoping that characters will get to meet again at some point later in the campaign. Since they are crucial to the adventure, I decided that I'd roll them up like actual characters, at least the three NPCs that would be the most important. To my understanding, it's not a typical approach, at least within the confines of Traveller, but I will say that the actual process itself was about as easy as normal character creation - which is to say long but not exceptionally difficult.

The problem comes when you consider two of the characters' backgrounds. They are daughters of a Marquis who has had his Noble title stripped. They are roughly the same age these two daughters, and they were in their mid-teens when their father was disgraced and lost his status. One of their big motivations is to attempt to earn back the status of Marquis for themselves, or perhaps even achieve higher ranks in the Peerage of the Imperium.

I should also clarify that I'm trying to do my campaign as by the book as possible. I really want to stick to the original Traveller universe, at least the universe that is laid out by official 5th edition material. See, I'm trying to strictly use T5 rules as well. Without further ado, my questions are these:

1) If you know you have characters who are the children of nobility, and the characters in question all seem to be viable heirs, what should their starting Social be? Should you still roll it at random? Is there a formula for determining it?

2) If a character is stripped of his noble status, does his Social drop? If so, what does his social drop to?

3) If children of a noble somehow achieve their starting Social from their noble parent, but their noble parent loses their title, what happens to the Social of the children?

4) Is it possible to have a Social that would normally earn you a Noble status and yet not be a Noble (as in, perhaps not even being considered by the appointing powers as a viable candidate)?

5) Is there any reason why a person who starts character creation with a low Social, but earns one that would grant a Noble status, wouldn't be given a noble status (once again, perhaps not even being considered as a viable candidate)?

I suspect there is a sixth point I wanted to press questions on, but I've been working on character generation for several hours now, so my brain feels like Swiss cheese. If I think of it, I'll bring it up later, either in another post or I'll edit this one. I will say, I am sorry if my questions had the air of repetitiveness. I just wanted to clarify anything that might seem confusing. I'm also sorry if this sort of thing has been brought up before as well, but I did some searching (to the best of my ability) and I glazed over a handful of topics before deciding that I suspected that it hasn't been covered (at least from the vantage point of 5th edition).

Thank you for reading!

Traveller Player and Referee In-training,
Matt Wittherson

I seldom do rules stuff with T5... but...

for number 2, yes, it absolutely would drop.

For #4, yes. In such cases, it's Soc from extravagance. Only MT, MGT, and T5 really cover it... however... in those editions, one can raise apparent social standing by living high on the hog, but new money doesn't get you a title. (And a title doesn't always get you old money, either.) Likewise, not all places in the OTU where Soc is used as C6 have titles.

#5 - if the player doesn't want the title, or if the campaign is in a place where the title isn't an option, or if the GM doesn't want landed nobles...

In both #4 and #5, the issue is setting driven and campaign driven.

Normally I would wait for more replies or at least try to make a longer post. However, I really can only think of a rather simple way to state the question that comes to my mind when reading your reply. You said in response to the second point that their Social would drop. What does it drop to? Or is it just simply determined like normal when they turn eighteen - by casting the dice and seeing how they land?

Also, I remembered that elusive sixth point I reference earlier:

6: How do the situations referenced in the previous five points affect the Fame of the character?

As a Ref, I'd drop it to Soc 9, but if there was sufficient expenditures, allow apparent soc to be retained.

You said in response to the second point that their Social would drop. What does it drop to?

6: How do the situations referenced in the previous five points affect the Fame of the character?

I'd suggest that both of those depend upon what, exactly, the background on the loss of title was for.

Two real-world examples would be Edward VIII/Duke of Windsor, and Hermann Göring [history's only seven-star general equivalent!] - they left the top ranks of social status for very different reasons.

You could also make the case the social status would vary depending upon the audience. Staunch British Monarchists would rate both the above examples quite low, but if the target audience were the mythical South American Nazis, Göring's child would be much more popular there.

Fame would also depend on the backstory. If the former Marquis had his title stripped for accounting irregularities or power games in the nobility, it would be totally different than if he were the Traveller equivalent to Kodos the Executioner.

In response to your query...

Well, I'm back seeking more information about how Traveller 5th edition works - with all its beautiful mechanics. Now, forewarning, I've yet to invest in getting Imperiallines Issue #6 or Issue #7. And I am seeking clarification on high Social NPCs, so I did what research I could on Nobles both through the Core Rule book and what is written on these forums about Imperiallines Issue #7.
Seriouly, pick up the Imperiallines there is some nice stuff in there which if I recall correctly includes two WalkThrus, one a Sophont, the Amindii (or however you spell it, the Natives of Regina).

Let me start by offering some background, I'm putting together my first Traveller campaign. It'll be the first time I've refereed/moderated any game before too. Although technically I guess I moderated some topics on a forum role-playing game, but that was quite different. Hosting an in-person game requires more planning and on-the-fly thinking.
Tell me about it. Get ready for the Monkey Wrenches!

For my first adventure that I've been crafting, I plan on introduced some NPCs that I'm hoping that characters will get to meet again at some point later in the campaign. Since they are crucial to the adventure, I decided that I'd roll them up like actual characters, at least the three NPCs that would be the most important. To my understanding, it's not a typical approach, at least within the confines of Traveller, but I will say that the actual process itself was about as easy as normal character creation - which is to say long but not exceptionally difficult.
Typical, bah! I do up my major and a chunk of minor NPCs with straight up standard CharGen. In fact, I seem to recall just reading in the old Book 1 LBB that a Ref could use either method, roll or assign so don't sweat typical anything when Reffing.

The problem comes when you consider two of the characters' backgrounds. They are daughters of a Marquis who has had his Noble title stripped. They are roughly the same age these two daughters, and they were in their mid-teens when their father was disgraced and lost his status. One of their big motivations is to attempt to earn back the status of Marquis for themselves, or perhaps even achieve higher ranks in the Peerage of the Imperium.

I should also clarify that I'm trying to do my campaign as by the book as possible. I really want to stick to the original Traveller universe, at least the universe that is laid out by official 5th edition material. See, I'm trying to strictly use T5 rules as well. Without further ado, my questions are these:
Wel, then let's see if we can get some answers.

1) If you know you have characters who are the children of nobility, and the characters in question all seem to be viable heirs, what should their starting Social be? Should you still roll it at random? Is there a formula for determining it?
Generally, I tend to go with lowest Titled Parent's Soc-1 in order of birth. So which every daughter is older will have Soc C (Baroness), the younger Soc c (Baronette, Baronetess?). Also, remember technically those are Courtesy Titles, they don't generally have Voting Rights or other Privileges attached. (Note: The spouse shares an equal Social Standing (also a Courtesy Title) with their Titled spouse unless they either A) hold their own equal Titles or B) have a superior Title.)

Of course you could also go with the lesser Titles such as The Lady Suchansuch or The Right Honorable Soandso instead of actual Titles for the spouse and daughters. I seem to recall the Brits do it that way, but I would ask one of the actual Brits on the Board. I would think they would have a better handle on that than I.

2) If a character is stripped of his noble status, does his Social drop? If so, what does his social drop to?
How how wealth does he still have? Does the Wife/Mother have any Titles or wealth of her own to prop him up? He could still be Soc D, just not a Titled Noble, still wealthy and remember still keeps those 4 Local Hexes of land grant even after the rest of the land grants are removed with the Title (see T5 Core Rules, pages 50 & 96). Now, if they are broke then it could go as low as say Soc 7-9. Still with the 4 Local Hexes they should be alright and if they developed those Hexes really well during their climb then they could be even higher Soc than they were when they were Nobles.

3) If children of a noble somehow achieve their starting Social from their noble parent, but their noble parent loses their title, what happens to the Social of the children?
They lose the Courtesy Titles and stuff that goes with them and remain Parental Soc -1.

4) Is it possible to have a Social that would normally earn you a Noble status and yet not be a Noble (as in, perhaps not even being considered by the appointing powers as a viable candidate)?
If a character has not gone through the Noble Career they are just plain high Soc folks, probably wealthy and connected. See T5 Core Rules page 67 for the various Soc levels and meaning.

5) Is there any reason why a person who starts character creation with a low Social, but earns one that would grant a Noble status, wouldn't be given a noble status (once again, perhaps not even being considered as a viable candidate)?
There might be that, or enemies or they just have a high Social Standing now. Noble Career is how they become Noble, so if they end up at Soc B+ they can attempt the Noble Career.

I suspect there is a sixth point I wanted to press questions on, but I've been working on character generation for several hours now, so my brain feels like Swiss cheese. If I think of it, I'll bring it up later, either in another post or I'll edit this one. I will say, I am sorry if my questions had the air of repetitiveness. I just wanted to clarify anything that might seem confusing. I'm also sorry if this sort of thing has been brought up before as well, but I did some searching (to the best of my ability) and I glazed over a handful of topics before deciding that I suspected that it hasn't been covered (at least from the vantage point of 5th edition).

Thank you for reading!

Traveller Player and Referee In-training,
Matt Wittherson
Dude, been there got the T5-shirt. Good luck, have fun and I hope this helps. If you end up with more questions, post and I will try and answer. I did after all do up a veritable ship load of characters for Greg's T5 Cirque Campaign, so I think I have a handle on CharGen. :D

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and listen to the sound of my own awesomeness. :devil:

Arrrrgggh!

Normally I would wait for more replies or at least try to make a longer post. However, I really can only think of a rather simple way to state the question that comes to my mind when reading your reply. You said in response to the second point that their Social would drop. What does it drop to? Or is it just simply determined like normal when they turn eighteen - by casting the dice and seeing how they land?

Also, I remembered that elusive sixth point I reference earlier:

This is what get for not reading through. Dangnabbit!

Okay, first off nice question.

Now, as per latest notes/errata Noble Fame = Soc * 1.5. So we take a basic Marquis at Soc D (13) and whip out our calculators because we are lazy in our old age and high tech (and learned it in igh school by hand so can cheat now :devil:). 13 * 1.5 = 19.5, now being me, I round down to 19 because I m both old school like that and the Fame can get sickhouse at the higher levels.

Marquis, Soc D, Fame 19 Subsector.​

Once they lose the titles, it pretty much goes away. Except maybe for the Infamy of having your Title stripped which would probably be equal to your former Noble status. Also, they could have Fame from other accomplishments or Careers in which case use those after Maquis De Scrase is "stripped of his Titles, Grants, Offices, Privileges, Rights and Honors due his station and duties...".

Back