• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

"Serenity" now!

I woder if they will air in TV order or DVD order? Whedon will hopefully insist on DVD order.

The DVDs had at least two episodes I hadn't seen before, but I might have missed them.

Thanks Capt.! However, (IMHO), I would rather see them return to pumping out TV episodes then movies. Like Star Trek, the movies take about two years between each release while a season of hour-long episodes usually number some 22 or so per year. Granted the movies have to cram a lot more storyline into their two-hour plot but give me 22 or more stories per year anytime. Is that a quantity vs. quality issue?

Originally posted by Loki:
[QB] Thanks Capt.! However, (IMHO), I would rather see them return to pumping out TV episodes then movies.
I'm sure they'd like to do that too, but I suspect it'd be a legal nightmare to separate Fox from the property and I imagine they have sole rights to developing more as a series. I somewhat doubt that Joss and co. would want to go back to working for them though.

Frankly, I'm amazed we've even got one movie out of this. I hope it does as blindingly well as everyone hopes it will so there'll be more.

They must be trying to stir up interest in the upcoming movie in September. Right?
A division of Universal basically owns Sci-Fi Channel. Another division of Universal is funding Serenity.

So yes.

So far Sci-Fi Channel has in their schedulebot:

EST
07/22/2005 07:00 PM FIREFLY SERENITY - PT 1
07/29/2005 06:00 PM FIREFLY SERENITY - PT 1
07/29/2005 07:00 PM FIREFLY SERENITY - PT 2
08/05/2005 07:00 PM FIREFLY THE TRAIN JOB
08/12/2005 07:00 PM FIREFLY BUSHWHACKED
08/19/2005 07:00 PM FIREFLY SHINDIG
08/26/2005 07:00 PM FIREFLY SAFE
Which offhand looks to follow the DVD order, not the originally aired order.

As for why a movie instead of more tv episodes? Pure speculation here but I'm thinking a movie could stand to make far more money than the tv show did (since it *lost* money due to low ratings) and considering Whedon's prior record with movies Serenity could be the one that establishes him successfully in movies.

i.e. when given the choice between no Firefly at all or a Firefly movie...

Thanks Capt.! However, (IMHO), I would rather see them return to pumping out TV episodes then movies. Like Star Trek, the movies take about two years between each release while a season of hour-long episodes usually number some 22 or so per year. Granted the movies have to cram a lot more storyline into their two-hour plot but give me 22 or more stories per year anytime. Is that a quantity vs. quality issue?
I'm with you I'd prefer it return to TV production but, I'll take what I can get.
Who knows, if there is enough interest things have been known to return to
television...... ;)

It'll be a shame if the TV show isn't revived. It's very much a character driven show and there just isn't the time in the movies.

The upside to the movies is that there will likely only be a handful, so they're more likely to go into things like River and Book's backgrounds, explain everything and resolve it.

Which will be more satisfying than week after week of tantalising and knowing hints!!!

Crow

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
I read somewhere that the movie contract forbids any more TV.
That wouldn't surprise me. Universal wouldn't want Fox profiting from their movie beyond showing the existing episodes.

I wonder if that also means no novel tie-ins and such...

Crow

Originally posted by Malenfant:
Hm. Gotta admit, those tracks don't really sound very inspiring. Where's the lone violins?
Really? It definately stirred something in me.
It's more 'movie score' and less BlueGrass than the TV show music (I wonder if it's the same composer) but the cowboy feel is still there. The track, 'Going for a Ride.' is great.

Crow

Less than three days, and the whole world will know the greatness that is "Serenity."

I can't wait to see it with the finished special effects.

It's tomorrow here, buddy. One sleep.

And, sadly, a day at work. Otherwise I would do the afternoon session.

Then again, I've got Friday off, so I might see it then, and miss the session(s) tomorrow night. Yes, that's lame, but...

I have seen the Firefly TV series on DVD.

My take? Well, I like it and want more, but I also can see why there was no more. It's a bit too ... eclectic ... for mainstream television.

Better late than never.

Actually the eclectic nature is not what killed it. When it was aired, it was aired out of order, and constantly pre-empted for baseball. There are many of us Browncoats who feel Fox never gave it a chance.

They have just released a "Collector's edition" of the movie on DVD. I bought it. Enclosed was an ad for some place called QMX, which sells among other things, a set of ship's papers. I should see mine arrive any day now, and am very curious as to what all they contain.

Better late than never.

Actually the eclectic nature is not what killed it. When it was aired, it was aired out of order, and constantly pre-empted for baseball. There are many of us Browncoats who feel Fox never gave it a chance.

They have just released a "Collector's edition" of the movie on DVD. I bought it. Enclosed was an ad for some place called QMX, which sells among other things, a set of ship's papers. I should see mine arrive any day now, and am very curious as to what all they contain.

Let us know if they are worth the coin. When I saw it, i thought it would make a cool prop fopr a traveller game. But I have to be careful with my cash for the next while.

Mal's gun is not available yet! Not sure when its coming out. Its availablity is "TBA".

Doubtful if it is that high a caliber. Its based on a Taurus 12 (?) handgun, with a lot of "makeup" and a new barrel. In the comic book series, Dobson, the agent shot in the head during the pilot episode, turns out he survived. He's missing an eye and he's a bit upset about it all, but alive.

(They use a live revolver, and lightly loaded blanks so that they can cue sound effects to the right moment. Real gunshots would blow out the microphones, so every gunshot in television has to be redubbed.)

Not sure what it is in game terms. In the show/movie it was a magazine feed autopistol. In the opening of Serenity there is a shot of Mal laoding the mag into the gun ahead of the trigger gaurd. To me it looks like a long thin cartridge, maybe a .30 carbine or something along those lines. It didn't look like that big a magazine either. maybe 5-8 rounds.

The prop in real life was built on a revolver frame, according to wikipedia, but my guess is that just so it could fire blanks.

Although it has a cool retro look, I doubt a real world working autopistol could be built that looked like that.

If I were to put that in Traveller terms. I would put it as an autopistol, increase the range, and weight by 50%, damage 1-12, and magazine capacity to 8.

Pic of replica here
product_image.php

Back