• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ship Building IYTU

How many ships do you design for YTU?

• Total voters
Not quite, a critical hit knocks out the entire system, not just a component. Also see Drive Failure, LBB2, p6.

The way I see it is:

A PP-4 might have two reactors but only one power distribution system so they work together.

Real redundancy means not just having an extra reactor, but an entire extra independent power distribution system (meaning it can't work together with the primary system).

This.

I use HG for space hazards too, ship crashes and solar flares to give two examples. Don't want to be 20 parsecs deep into unexplored/anarchic/enemy territory and have an accident that strands you hard.

PP-1 and M-1 is a minimum, just to make sure you maintain astronomical object/planet impact avoidance.

Also, I like the idea of something akin to a Type S (or LBB5 100Td, J1/1G with fuel for 2xJ1) configured as (or configurable to) a jump-capable low-berth-packed lifeboat.

Type S: delete 3 staterooms, air/raft, cargo bay. Replace with 38 low berths -- 40 if you delete the turret (but you'd probably keep it as a triple sandcaster with an AI "gunner" as a precaution).

LBB5: As above, but you have 42Td for low berths instead of 19Td (design includes a turret).

Crew is minimum: Pilot/Navigator, medic to thaw the passengers; double-occupancy in the single stateroom.

And to extend life support, the medic can chill out in their bunk under fast-drug until they are needed. Fast and fast antidote should be available in the stateroom for both crew.

COmbined Reactor And Reactor.

Probably easier in the Mongoverse, since actual power availability counts.

Also, drives in modular form; knock out one, and the rest can still propel.

Back