• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

SPACE OPERA or HARD SCI-FI?

So you reckon the damage _value_ never increases, even from crits & head hits? Well, fair enough. My approach has worked fine for me.

Re chest hits - as it's only a 1 in 10 chance - 2/3 of torso hits are 'abdomen', I assume this represents hits to the area sheathing the heart, lungs & other vital organs. The x2 damage to PCs from chest hits isn't a big deal, most PCs have huge chest hp totals in TNE anyway. For NPCs, it's ok if they're killed by chest hits (ca 50% chance from a net 3d6 wpn on my rules) - it only happens if the attack gets through their armour, anyway, since blunt trauma damage cannot cause instant death.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aramis:
There are better ways, IMO, than the TNE method. Like CORPS, where you can take Toughness, or EABA (soon to be released) with "Larger than Life" as an advantage. It was not a "travellerism", but a T2Kism, and one my players and I didn't like. (Nor did we like that A PC survived a bite from a 40Ton Flying Puncer that had just successfully bitten the Air-Raft in half. Why, Hit locations. One arm, both legs gone. The air raft has one damage point pool.)

I have no objection at all to you not liking it. I have the Classic Traveller rules, and frankly for most purposes they're a much better system - for a Star Trek type game, say. Even for a moderately realistic military-sf setting (Space: Above & Beyond, say) TNE PCs are overpowered.
All I'm saying is that TNE works well for my space opera game, the hp rules give the 'larger than life' feel to the PCs. Also I tweaked Initiative slightly - for this game all military-career PCs get Initiative 4, or 5 with the +1 Spec Ops bonus.

TNE was the most mechanically different traveller edition before GT. NOTHING about it was compatible outside the UPP system. And even there, you had to regress worlds. And it was a poor attempt to maintain continuity while completely eliminating the thing which most said traveller to me: the Third Imperium, and the rest of the award winning setting.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree about the setting, the Imperium was/is great and I was annoyed it didn't exist in the Traveller edition I purchased! But I've found that I can use lots of it in a homebrew 'reclaim the galaxy' campaign, just by changing the emphasis to get a more freewheeling, space-operatic environment.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by simontmn:
So you reckon the damage _value_ never increases, even from crits & head hits? Well, fair enough. My approach has worked fine for me.

Re chest hits - as it's only a 1 in 10 chance - 2/3 of torso hits are 'abdomen', I assume this represents hits to the area sheathing the heart, lungs & other vital organs. The x2 damage to PCs from chest hits isn't a big deal, most PCs have huge chest hp totals in TNE anyway. For NPCs, it's ok if they're killed by chest hits (ca 50% chance from a net 3d6 wpn on my rules) - it only happens if the attack gets through their armour, anyway, since blunt trauma damage cannot cause instant death.

I agree about the setting, the Imperium was/is great and I was annoyed it didn't exist in the Traveller edition I purchased! But I've found that I can use lots of it in a homebrew 'reclaim the galaxy' campaign, just by changing the emphasis to get a more freewheeling, space-operatic environment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plain and simple, it is a mater of storytelling style. TNE got in my way, all the time, and didn't provide useful exptrapolations as written, took too much time to use, and didn't allow me nor my players verisimilitude.

MT was clear, concise, and (once errata applied) fairly good, and easy to tweak to "Heroic" by one simple change: att/3 rather than att/5. And, unlike TNE, it had the advantage of upscaled combat rules... I've run entire campaigns of combat under the MT-RC LSC rules, and it was quick, simple, and elegant, and still "Rule-compatible" with personal combat. Oh, and since the USP's were HG-compatible, you could (by just changing fuel load) use most any HG design as is.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aramis:
Plain and simple, it is a mater of storytelling style. TNE got in my way, all the time, and didn't provide useful exptrapolations as written, took too much time to use, and didn't allow me nor my players verisimilitude.

MT was clear, concise, and (once errata applied) fairly good, and easy to tweak to "Heroic" by one simple change: att/3 rather than att/5. And, unlike TNE, it had the advantage of upscaled combat rules... I've run entire campaigns of combat under the MT-RC LSC rules, and it was quick, simple, and elegant, and still "Rule-compatible" with personal combat. Oh, and since the USP's were HG-compatible, you could (by just changing fuel load) use most any HG design as is.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have the MT rules - by the time I had the money to go looking for Traveller, TNE was what was available. The first campaign I ran, back in '94, the players weren't too keen on the setting at all, the only mechanics problem was that I couldn't (and still can't) get my head around the starship & vehicle combat rules. Since my current campaign has a homebrew setting in my own highly developed timeline, and I've finally developed starship combat rules I'm happy with, the basic Traveller rules for systems & tech, and TNE rules for (military) PCs, seems to work well.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elliot:
Neither hard sci-fi nor opera, more sit-com in a far trader.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love Brit Coms, your campaign must be really fun. Tell us more.

Well if your interested. . .

In that campaign one character was a famous movie star (with psionics) doing research for a holofilm on board a freetrader/corsair. He had been type-cast as a bad guy (having played the Zhodani stooge all his life) and had taken method acting too far!

The main 'gags' were that the pirate captain was an animal lover (we re-ran modified Research Station Gamma and Safari Ship); that the ex-marine commando second in command kept having parts of his body blown off (mainly by 'friendly fire') and had them replaced according to the bionics rules in the Traveller's Digest (the 'Earth' edition) and that the barbarian cabin boy was a mute with telepathy straight out of AD&D (try role-playing that!).

All in all good silly fun and it ran for four years, hoorah!

Back