• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Spinward Marches 1112

Emm, Mal, Traveller atmospheres are rated for pressure.
In Grand Survey, for CT by DGP, and later incorporated into MT,TNE and T20, there is a minimum pressure and a maximum pressure for each atmosphere number.
Dense atmospheres are 1.5 to 2.49 atmospheres of pressure.
OK, these details are missing from book 3 and book 6, but they are part of Traveller world generation canon.

AFAIK the pressures were introduced by DGP. The first time I saw any pressures was in the World Builder's Handbook, which they published.

And yes, these details are missing from books 3 and 6, but bear in mind that this is all that matters to a lot of the hardcore canonistas. ISTR Chris Thrash and I actually arguing about this during the Sword Worlds playtest (actually it was low oxygen taints, but it all linked to how the atmospheres were defined), but in the end the "pressure view" won out (by author fiat, if nothing else).

For the record (not that I haven't already made this clear), I do vastly prefer WBH's way of defining the atmosphere types. But it's not the CT default, which is the only relevant source according to some people.

Chalk it up to another one of Traveller's little inconsistencies that serve to trip people up unless someone comes along and fixes it.

Originally posted by daryen:
Based on others' prior experience, I likely cannot do much about any UWPs. (But then, size/atmosphere issues are only one small part. Shipyards on worlds with 80 people, E atmospheres in general, etc. are just as problematic.)
Shipyards on worlds with 80 people is no problem if you're backdating to 993. Simply don't have any. (And you can even put a decent population on Tenalphi). It's not your job to explain why someone put a shipyard on Pixie between 993 and 1105.

Hans

Originally posted by rancke:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by daryen:
Based on others' prior experience, I likely cannot do much about any UWPs. (But then, size/atmosphere issues are only one small part. Shipyards on worlds with 80 people, E atmospheres in general, etc. are just as problematic.)
Shipyards on worlds with 80 people is no problem if you're backdating to 993. Simply don't have any. (And you can even put a decent population on Tenalphi). It's not your job to explain why someone put a shipyard on Pixie between 993 and 1105.</font>[/QUOTE]Well, sure that's true for anything done for 993 (or even 1248). But 1112 is also in the mix, and its those UWPs I am stuck with.

Back