• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starship Deckplan Guide

far-trader

SOC-14 10K
Originally shared on the TML way back, then copied to the Yahoo Deckplans Group by a member there. I thought I had updated it some since and posted it here on COTI but I can't find it so here it is, probably in need of some revision as my views have changed, but for what it's worth here you go

------

I'm pretty picky when I do up deckplans. For CT I use the simple deckplan 1/2 rule, but much more detailed (see below), and 1.0T means two 1.5m squares.

This work is free for all to post, print, share, or for personal non-profit use, with credit and is from my Classic Traveller universe.

Daniel J. Burns

Journeyman Design Bureau - dJb - Standards & Practices

Starship Architectural Development Model

Engineering Section:

Step 1 - 1/2 (round up) of the tonnage of each fixture
(i.e. Jump Drive, etc.) is the actual machinery (a
single unit for J-Drives, one unit per G for M-Drives,
one unit per P for Power Plants or a single large
Power Plant)

Step 2 - 1/4 (round up) of each fixture tonnage is
access space around it for operation, maintenance and
repair. This includes one tool/parts locker (0.5T) per
each 35T of total engineering volume. The access space
must be directly adjacent and 1.5m wide. The access
space of different fixtures may not overlap.

Step 3 - The remaining tonnage is common space.

It is a serious violation to use the access space for
cargo. Aside from fines, impounding for inspection,
and possible loss of license, it makes all operations
more difficult. Treat as no Engineer(s) and no ability
to do damage control.

Main Section:

Step 1 - Fuel Tankage - Except for special tankage
(eg. removable tanks) leave this as fill between your
profile and the interiors.

Step 2 - Bridge - Crew workstations (2 per partial
200T of hull at 0.5T/workstation). Assigned as needed,
1 for Pilot, 1 for Navigator, 1 for Chief Engineer, 1
per full 300T of hull for Administrative Crew, 1 per
full 500T for Gunnery Officers (only manned if
actually armed), 1 per full 700T for Junior Officers,
and 1 per full 900T for Senior Officers. In addition
there is 0.5T of common space per 100T of hull, and
0.5T of personnel airlocks (minimum 1) per 100T of
hull. Finally 5.0T is given over for the minimum
Lifters displacement. For ships under 1000T of hull
the remaining Bridge tonnage is lost volume, spaces
too cramped, inaccessible and/or hostile to be useful
for anything except landing pads, external sensors,
exterior lighting and perhaps the occasional small
hidden cargo hold or light weapon mount (SW's
Millennium Falcon for example, no more than 1.0T
total). For ships over 1000T of hull the extra tonnage
is for additional Lifters.

Step 3 - Computer - 1/2 (round up) of the tonnage is
the actual cpu and cooling systems. The remaining is
access space around it for operation, maintenance and
repair, and must be directly adjacent and 1.5m wide.

Step 4 - Staterooms - First, 2.0T per stateroom is the
actual quarters (contains a closet fresher, fold-up
bed and fold-down bunk, and collapsing table and two
chairs). Second, 1.0T per stateroom is access space
and must be directly adjacent to each stateroom and
1.5m wide. If this volume overlaps (a single corridor
between facing staterooms) the extra is added to
common space. Third, 0.5T per stateroom is recreation
space (including dining, entertainment, etc.). Finally
0.5T per stateroom is life support (including galley,
stores, recyclers, etc.).

Step 5 - Lowberths - The lowberth tonnage is the
actual tonnage of the support frames and cryotubes and
is part of the cargo hold. Empty racks may be folded
up and the space used for cargo at 0.5T per missing
lowberth. Access space, to some or all, may be
provided from the common space for operation,
maintenance and repair, without unloading cargo, and
must be directly adjacent and 1.5m wide. If full
access is provided the lowberths are often not in the
cargo hold but a separate special hold.

Step 6 - Armament - Each armed turret hardpoint
requires 1.0T adjacent to the hull. Of this 0.5T is
the actual fire control computer and 0.5T is the
Gunner workstation/access space for operation,
maintenance, repairs, and re-loading. Empty turret
hardpoints may be used to carry 1.0T of cargo each if
not put to other uses. See dJb's catalogue for a full
line of standard hardpoint socket modules.

Step 7 - Vehicles - The listed tonnage for the vehicle
is the minimum size for transport and includes limited
access space around the vehicle. The actual vehicle is
1/2 the displacement listed. One external hatch
sufficient for the vehicle is included if adjacent to
the hull.

Step 8 - Small Craft - The listed tonnage for small
craft is the actual tonnage required. Each craft is
carried externally without affecting the overall
streamlining and requires a dedicated hardpoint which
includes a personnel airlock (0.5T) and an umbilical
tentacle winch clamp. The hardpoint is dedicated only
so far as being limited to carrying the same type of
small craft without affecting the ships performance
(streamlining, maneuver, and jump), and may be swapped
out for a standard turret hardpoint, or any of dJb's
other standard hardpoint socket modules.

Note, I came up with these ideas at Handwaviun
University, while studying Starship Architecture, to
explain the CT ships that have fewer hardpoints than
the maximum allowed. It works pretty well, except for
the military vessels (Mercenary and Patrol Cruisers)
which my degree from H.U. also allowed me to solve

Step 9 - Cargo - The listed tonnage is the gross cargo
volume. It does not include access space(beyond tight
crawling over, under, or between cargo) unless some is
included from the common space. Actual cargo volume
may be considerable less if only hauling standard
containerized cargo unless specifically built for
that. One large cargo hatch may be included per 100T
of hull. It may be either a retracting door, a ramp,
or a lift, but must be adjacent to the hull. Cargo
airlocks are optional at no added cost but the volume
comes from the cargo tonnage, though they can still be
used to carry cargo.

Step 10 - Common Space - Go back through and add up
all the common space. Use this to connect all the
other spaces and if you have some left add lockers,
common freshers adjacent to recreation spaces, or
special spaces such as sickbays, labs, or more/special
recreation spaces.

I think that's about right. It's mostly from a failing
memory of stuff done some 20 years ago
I keep
meaning to get this done up on the web, along with all
the deckplans and other house rules and stuff, but
when I find the time my computer usually won't
cooperate.

Hope you find this useful and/or interesting James (or
anybody else) and not a complete waste of bandwidth,
bytes, and time. Any and all comments welcome.

Originally posted by far-trader:
Step 3 - Computer - 1/2 (round up) of the tonnage is the actual cpu and cooling systems. The remaining is access space around it for operation, maintenance and repair, and must be directly adjacent and 1.5m wide.
Shouldn't this be mostly sensors?

In High Guard, the computer encompasses at least central computing for ship, sensors beyond navigation, and ECM/ECCM. Some of the other design sequences split these out a bit more.

The access space of different fixtures may not overlap.
depending on the equipment and its maintenance requirements there's no reason for this. I've seen plenty of naval access space that allowed maintenance on only one component at a time, and it worked out.

may I suggest one addition. major engineering components must be accessible to the outer hull, for easy removal and installation through hull cuts.

other than that, looks great.

Dear Folks -

Thanks, Daniel, for an excellent outline of good ol' H.U.'s "Deckplans 101" course!

omega.gif

Originally posted by Henry J Cobb:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by far-trader:
Step 3 - Computer - 1/2 (round up) of the tonnage is the actual cpu and cooling systems. The remaining is access space around it for operation, maintenance and repair, and must be directly adjacent and 1.5m wide.
Shouldn't this be mostly sensors? </font>[/QUOTE]And communications? Probably, though not including the business ends (antenna, collectors and such). As mentioned it is old and begs for revision

And of course Joseph Kimball's answer above is pretty good too ;)

Originally posted by flykiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The access space of different fixtures may not overlap.
depending on the equipment and its maintenance requirements there's no reason for this. I've seen plenty of naval access space that allowed maintenance on only one component at a time, and it worked out.</font>[/QUOTE]Dang, how'd I put that in there :confused: I don't think I've ever NOT broken that guideline :lol: Please do ignore it, as I think I always have. Normally I need to borrow the overlap access anyway for getting to the engineering spaces from the rest of the ship, usually through or around the quarters and/or cargo.

Originally posted by flykiller:
may I suggest one addition. major engineering components must be accessible to the outer hull, for easy removal and installation through hull cuts.

other than that, looks great.
Thanks for the praise, and that is an excellent addition. One of those "obvious" items always overlooked ;)

Originally posted by Hyphen:
Dear Folks -

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by far-trader:
Thanks, Daniel, for an excellent outline of good ol' H.U.'s "Deckplans 101" course!

omega.gif
</font>[/QUOTE]And thank you Hyphen for your kind words and thanks. If it helps or inspires anyone, or even gets a giggle, I'm happy :D

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flykiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The access space of different fixtures may not overlap.
depending on the equipment and its maintenance requirements there's no reason for this. I've seen plenty of naval access space that allowed maintenance on only one component at a time, and it worked out.</font>[/QUOTE]Dang, how'd I put that in there :confused: I don't think I've ever NOT broken that guideline :lol: Please do ignore it, as I think I always have. Normally I need to borrow the overlap access anyway for getting to the engineering spaces from the rest of the ship, usually through or around the quarters and/or cargo.
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, the design standards would say you couldn't overlap that space, but reality would be different. Thanks for the info, Dan - just what I was looking for! :cool:

As this thread has been ressurected and I don't recall where the stateroom discussion was I'll post here...

Standard Staterooms:

Each standard stateroom occupies 2tons (see graphic below) being about 3m square and 2.5m to the ceiling, with 2 tons set aside for access and common spaces. The space between the ceiling and upper deck is used for utilities, primarily air circulation. There are 6 elements to each stateroom, in addition to 2 reconfigurable seperation types, and 1 lighting panel.

(A) - Lighting - Lighting of staterooms and common spaces is provided by ceiling panels. Each panel fills the middle of a 1.5m square grid framework suspended from the upper deck. The grid framework directs air circulation and includes emergency lighting. The panels are removable for access to the overhead area. Ceiling panels are used everywhere except above the fresher and the bunk, these spaces being used for the life support unit, and the retracted upper bunk respectively. When in place the ceiling panels provide light which operates automatically, by computer control, or through user selection. In most places it is automatic and comes on to the preset level when a person approaches and goes off when they leave. In common spaces the preset levels are usually tied to the local day/night cycle and can be programmed to slowly adjust through jump. In staterooms the light is usually automatic on or off unless selected otherwise.

(B) - Seperations - The standard seperations are the solid wall and the sliding door. The door is secured with a digital key lock. All seperation pieces lock into each other with corner posts that extend from deck to deck being jacked into place through the ceiling grid framework. Each stateroom includes 1 sliding door seperation and up to 3 solid walls. Where two staterooms are adjacent they may be easily combined into a small suite by moving one of the sliding door seperations and one of the solid walls to create two joined rooms with a single exit. A larger suite may be made with more than one stateroom so arranged. Elements not needed in a suite, such as the extra fresher unit, may be collapsed and stored elsewhere for more space in the suite itself. Note that the life support unit remains in the ceiling allowing double occupancy of small suites without impacting comfort.

(C) - Elements - The standard elements are:

(1) - Lower bunk - This element hangs on the wall from the floor to about 1m high. When folded up it takes up very litte space against the wall. The thin mattress gains comfort with a variable setting grav module, with settings from nearly weightless to off. Built into the bottom of the bunk are two seats and a small table which fold down for use when the bunk is folded to the wall. The seats slide and rotate to accomdate the user. When the bunk is in use there is about 0.5m under it and nearly 2m of head space. The bunk is comfortable for one average person but would be crowded for two.

(2) - Upper bunk - For times when dual occupancy is required a second bunk is mounted in the ceiling over the place of the lower bunk, with the same grav module mattress feature for comfort. When retracted it is invisible in the cieling. It lowers a little more than 1m from the ceiling for use, leaving it and the lower bunk with just over 1m of head space. A small ladder swings down from under the bunk to allow easier climbing in.

(3) - Desk - At the head of the lower bunk is a small foldout desk. It hangs from the wall and is open underneath. When the bunk is in use it serves as a headboard. With the bunk folded away and the near seat folded out the face of the desk folds down to reveal the interior and serve as the desktop.The desk interior allows a second secure storage area for small pesonal effects while the top makes a nice small shelf. The desk lid is locked with a digital numeric code selected by the occupant.

(4) - Locker - At the foot of the bunk is a floor to ceiling locker. This allows the occupant to secure large personal items and clothes. It is a double door opening to reveal a full height closet with a shelf above and a lower drawer. The locker is secured with a digital numeric code selected by the occupant.

(5) - Display - Located on the wall beside the entry this large touch screen with camera serves as a ship wide communications terminal and local entertainment and information screen. It is mounted to the wall with a long jointed telescoping arm that allows it to be repositioned to be viewable from just about anywhere in the stateroom. The screen is about 1m wide and half as high. Hand-comps and Pers-comms may be easily synched with the display.

(6) - Fresher - The main element of the standard stateroom is the fresher. This unit incorporates many features:

(i) - It serves with all it's features folded away as a small shower, using water, air and grav modules to clean and dry the user quickly. The same shower feature can be run in a clothing cycle to serve as an automatic washer and dryer.

(ii) - On one of the interior walls is a small bulge hiding more features. The first and lowermost, a bidet toilet, is shown folded out in stateroom 4. The second, above that, is a sink as shown in stateroom 2.

(iii) - On the other interior wall is similar bulge which hides the emergency package. This includes a rescue ball with two thin-suits inside. The thin-suits are very light vacc-suits which may use the same air pack as the rescue ball. This is to be opened only in emergencies and will automatically trigger an alarm on the bridge.

(iv) - On the outside of the fresher about 1m from the floor where the sliding door opens is a small niche and shelf with a clear sliding cover. This holds two nested bowls, two spoons, and two nested insulated glasses. This niche may dispense a limited quantity of a variety of flavored liquids in a wide range of temperatures in the form of drinks, soups, and creams. Everything from hot coffee flavored drinks to cold iced-milk flavored desserts. Plain water is always available in unlimited quantity. A cleaning cycle is available to restore the service items and niche to sterile and dry condition.

(v) - Finally, above the ceiling of the fresher is the stateroom life support unit. With this feature and its vacumm rating the fresher can serve as an emergency shelter should the ship suffer decompression or other calamity.

Configurations:

The graphic shows the 4 standard configurations of a stateroom.

staterooms7fx.png

Stateroom 1 is shown in the sleep configuration for one with the lower bunk ready for use.

Stateroom 2 has been set up for sleeping two by lowering the upper bunk.

Stateroom 3 is ready to use the desk or access the locker with the bunks stored and only one seat folded out.

Stateroom 4 is set up for two to sit at the table for a light meal in private or perhaps a small game of Traveller

Very nice work on the staterooms!
I would use this style of stateroom for crew or "mid-passage only" passengers, or in smaller ships. IMTU the staterooms that are likely to hold high passengers are likely to have 3dtons of floor space, with the bunks on separate walls and usually the desk and (at least one) chair being separate "permanent" furniture. Those 3dtons are sometimes in odd configurations, but they usually include a viewport in the hull in addition to the semi-smart wallpaper common in the lesser staterooms.

Very nice work on the staterooms!
I would use this style of stateroom for crew or "mid-passage only" passengers, or in smaller ships. IMTU the staterooms that are likely to hold high passengers are likely to have 3dtons of floor space, with the bunks on separate walls and usually the desk and (at least one) chair being separate "permanent" furniture. Those 3dtons are sometimes in odd configurations, but they usually include a viewport in the hull in addition to the semi-smart wallpaper common in the lesser staterooms.

Viewports have external shutters of the same armor factor as the hull. They would be linked to the jump drive initiation protocol to close when the jump drive is activated, and only open once the jump drive shuts down.

Viewports have external shutters of the same armor factor as the hull. They would be linked to the jump drive initiation protocol to close when the jump drive is activated, and only open once the jump drive shuts down.

Back