• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starship Payments, Defaults, and Skipping...

tbeard1999

SOC-14 1K
Here's how skipping is handled in my campaign.

Banks loan money with the expectation of getting paid. The interest rate they charge is influenced by several factors, but the only one that matters to us is risk -- the risk that the debtor will not pay his obligation. The higher the risk, the higher the interest rate. And if the risk goes high enough, the bank will simply decline to make any loan.

One way to reduce a bank's risk (and the borrower's interest rate) is to show creditworthiness. Of course, adventurers can seldom do this, being shady characters.

The other way to reduce the bank's risk is to provide collateral. Collateral is stuff that the bank can seize and sell to recover their money. The more collateral, the lower the risk and the lower the interest rate.

In a typical starship purchase, the bank loans money to the borrower so that the borrower can buy a ship. The borrower usually puts up 20% of the purchase price as a down payment and agrees to pay monthly payments for 10 years (40 years in a canon campaign). The starship is collateral for the loan. VERY IMPORTANT -- the contents of the starship, whatever they may be, are also collateral. Contents owned by third parties (i.e., cargo) will be released to those parties by the bank.

This gives the bank the right to seize the ship if the debtor defaults. It also means that the ship cannot be sold or transferred without the bank's permission. The loan agreement provides that if you sell or transfer a starship without the bank's permission, the loan is automatically in default and the bank can seize the ship. If you sell the ship to someone anyway, the bank can take the ship from *them* and they can sue you for fraud.

As a practical matter, no one will buy such a ship because the owner lacks the Title, which is documentary evidence that the owner owns the ship free and clear of any bank loans. The bank keeps the Title until the loan is paid off.

If you want to sell your ship, the normal procedure is to have the buyer give the money to the bank. They'll apply the payment to your loan balance and give you the excess. They'll give the Title document to the buyer.

The loan agreement specifies where payments must be made, usually the main office of the bank on the world where the ship is delivered. Banks usually allow you to make payments at any branch bank, affiliate bank or Imperial Reserve Bank.

Most loan agreements contain extra fees for payments made far away. Pretty typical is a fee of 1% of the payment for every parsec of distance from the main bank. Banks will "transfer" your loan to a branch bank in another system, thereby relieving you of the fee. However, this costs a flat cr10,000 and takes 6 weeks. So if you have a "home port", you'll want to transfer your loan there.

Standard late payment fees are 5% of the payment per week it's late. So if you're 3 weeks late with a payment, you must pay the payment plus 15% more.

Since collateral is so important to banks, they are very concerned about it being misappropriated. A borrower can theoretically stop making payments, then abscond with the ship and the bank is in trouble. The primary way that the banks protect themselves is by fitting a "Finance Transponder" ("FT") to the ship. This transponder is similar to the normal imperial transponder in sophistication and tamper resistance. It contains your loan balance, payment history and when the next payment is due. When you make a bank payment, the bank transmits an encrypted update to the FT. Codes change monthly and and are loaded with the update. Normally, the FT broadcasts nothing.

But one week after a payment is overdue, the FT starts to continuously broadcast a "Default Alert" ("DA"). The DA can only be cancelled by the bank, an affiliated bank or an Imperial Reserve Bank. Usually, they'll require you to pay the past due amount, plus fees. Low tech banks cannot transmit an update, but will give you a receipt that will keep you out of trouble until you can get to a modern bank and get it updated.

If your ship is broadcasting a *valid* DA, Imperial law allows any registered salvage agent (which includes skip tracers) to take custody of the ship, using any peaceable means. It also requires the local authorities to seize the ship if requested by a salvage agent, or if they notice the DA. Assuming that the owner really has defaulted, the law requires the bank to pay a "salvage fee" of the greater of 0.1% of the note balance or cr50,000. The salvager is due this fee even if he only reports the ship to the authorities, but only if *someone* takes the ship into custody. The salvage fee is added to the past due amount. Only one salvage agent can collect the fee. First come, first served is the rule.

This means that most high traffic systems have a few "salvage agents" roaming the starport looking for defaulters and an easy 50K. (Salvage agents present on 12+ +6 if starport A, +4 if starport B, +3 if starport C; roll each day. They'll notice you on a 7+ each day in system).

If your ship is seized, you have several options:

1. Produce valid receipts proving that the DA is being erroneously broadcast. Forged receipts are *very* hard to produce (11+ roll, DM + Forgery skill). The documents will be shipped to the nearest bank for authentication. If they are discovered to be forgeries, you have committed a 2nd degree felony, punishable by 5-10 years and a fine not to exceed cr50,000. The local authorities *may* require you to bond the ship until the documents are verified (15+ to require bond, DM + Law Level, DM -1 per cr2000 spent on a lawyer, max -5). See below for bonding.

2. Work a deal out with the bank. If the bank has a branch on this world, go talk to the bank manager. He has the authority to temporarily shut off the DA for up to 1 month. He may even be bribable... Or maybe you can perform a service for him or the bank. Managers of affiliates or Imperial Reserve Banks are a bit more reluctant.

3. Make a payment for the entire past due amount, plus late fees, collection expenses (including "salvage fees"), etc. The portmaster can take the money, but a bank is better. The portmaster can only give you a receipt; he can't deactivate the DA like a bank can. An affiliate or Imperial Reserve Bank can also take the money and can deactivate the DA. If you pay within 24 hours of landing (or orbital docking), any salvage fees are reduced to cr5,000.

4. Bond the Ship. If you need time to clear up some problems, yet can't let the ship sit idle, you can "Bond the Ship." By law, banks must allow you to use the ship for any length of time if you can post a bond equal the lesser of (a) the remaining balance on your loan, or (b) the fair market value of your ship. All you have to do is give the bank or portmaster the money. Oh, you don't have a spare mcr15 lying around? In that case, you'll have to convince a bonding company to bond you. The bonding company basically agrees to pay the bank off if you abscond with the ship. Then you owe the bonding company. In such a case, the bonding company gets the bank's rights to your starship as collateral. A bond will cost a minimum of 0.1% of the loan balance for each month of the bond, for up to three months. The entire bond payment is due *up front*. At the end of the bonding period, you have to return with the ship and either turn it over to the bank or work out a new deal. The 0.1% you paid is the bonding company's fee. If you skip out with the ship, the bonding company will pay the bank off. But now you now have an angry bonding company after you. (You've also committed another 2nd degree felony). By the time the bonding company adds its fees, you'll wind up owing twice as much as you did to the bank. And bonding companies use more...uh, imaginative recovery methods.

5. Let the bank have the ship. The bank will auction the ship and its contents within the next 2 months for (50%+(2d6 x 5%)) of fair market value. From the proceeds of the sale, the bank deducts the loan balance, plus 10% for a default fee. Any remaining money will be paid to you. You can bid on your own ship or contents. If there's not enough to pay the bank off, you personally owe the bank the remainder. Note that unscrupulous bank managers will often rig the auction so that the ship goes for a very low price -- 60% or even less. A buddy buys the ship, then they re-sell it for a tidy profit. You get the shaft, of course. If you still owe the bank, the bank may be able to have the authorities seize your other assets (throw 13+, DM + Law Level). Or you can work out a deal. If you can convince the bank that you have few assets the bank can reach, the bank will usually settle the debt for a single payment of less than what's owed. Settlement amount: 15% + 2D x 5%, DM -5% per level of Admin or Carousing. Remember that defaulting on a loan is not generally a crime. Absconding with the collateral or procuring a loan through fraud is a crime.

Continued

Last edited:
Comments

When the portmaster takes a ship into "custody" he usually just "seals" the entrances with a notice and changes the locks. He usually allows the owners to retrieve personal effects of little value (clothes, shaving kit) from the ship. No other items can be removed since they are collateral. The players can "replace" any contents with cash. They pay the portmaster what the *portmaster* thinks the items are worth and he releases the items. The cash will be held for the bank.

And of course, the cash must come from somewhere *other* than the starship itself.

Stealing a sealed ship is yet another felony. Ports are typically understaffed, so the ships won't normally be guarded. A bank *might* post private guards around a particularly valuable ship though.

So...can you remove the FT?

Yes, but removing the FT is a felony (and won't do you any good in any case). It also causes the standard Imperial transponder to broadcast that the FT has been removed. Legally, that creates a presumption that the borrower has completely defaulted. The result is just like a DA being broadcast, except that now, the entire note balance is due. If the FT was unintentionally destroyed or damaged (a meteor strike, a laser hit), then the problem will be sorted out and no default occurs. Still, it can take time. Damaged ships often radio the starport that they've suffered FT damage to avoid this trouble. It *will* be investigated by the portmaster, however.

Some may wonder why the FT isn't just integrated with the standard Imperial transponder. The answer lies in ancient and obtuse Villani banking laws that are still part of the Lex Mercatoria (the Imperial Commerce Code).

Banks and bonding companies also use "skip tracers", individuals who specialize in recovering collateral. That's another topic entirely.

Oh, I forgot one other thing.

Long ago, FTs were designed to disable the jump drive upon default. Safety interlocks prevented disability in jump space (a Bad Thing). Despite such precautions, a defective FT caused the tragic loss of the Pecunious Magnus, a 10,000 luxury yacht that was ironically transporting members of the upper management of several major banks. 600 lives were lost. The FT shut the jump drive down while the ship was in jump space and the catastrophic re-entry into normal space vaporized the ship. Oddly, the FT was one of the few components that survived the explosion. Telemetry indicated that the safety interlocks also failed for some reason. And the ship's owners weren't even in default...

Given the general public hostility to banks, a huge amount of bad press was generated as every starship hyperspace accident was blamed on the banks. And to be fair, it seems that a disproportionate percentage of the owners of lost starships *had* defaulted.

As a result, the banks quickly supported a new Imperial law prohibiting any interference with starship operations by the FT.

Despite this, most spacers have a friend who has a friend whose FT sounded an alarm every two hours after default and cheerfully broadcast "the owners of this ship are worthless deadbeats" over the ship's public address system...

--Ty

Last edited:
Great bit of colour there

A further comment:

If your FT is defective due to a design, installation or manufacturing defect, and this causes you to lose a significant amount of money, Imperial law holds banks liable for this loss. Since the legal fees will run cr10,000 for even a small lawsuit, you'll need to suffer a loss greater than this.

This has the practical effect that banks are generally willing to be reasonable in working with you. They'd generally prefer not to foreclose or impound your ship for several months (depriving you of the ability to make money). Of course, this assumes that *you* can convince the bank representative that you're going to act reasonably.

Banks will not foreclose a loan (i.e. seize your ship and sell it) until three payments are late in a 12 month period or until one payment goes unpaid for 4 months. Money received by the bank is always applied to the oldest past due payment.

Impounding works pretty simply. An assistant portmaster shows up with two port policemen. If you're not home, he changes the locks and puts a notice prohibiting entry.

If you are home, he politely asks if you have the money. If so, you can pay it to him (plus a 2% fee) and he'll give you a receipt to take to the bank and get the DA turned off. If you don't have the money, he *may* give you 24 hours to come up with it. Roll to charm or bribe him; referee's discretion here. When he finally takes possession of the ship, he changes the locks and pins a notice. If you resist, he'll probably leave and call for *significant* backup. (Up to and including representatives of nearby Imperial Marine or Imperial Army detachments).

If you cooperate, he'll let you leave with personal gear. This is a very informal process, so you should be able to put very small items in your pockets and leave.

Eventually, the ship is either returned to you, or turned over to the bank to be auctioned off.

--Ty

Explain two things to me though:

1) How does this skip salvager have the ability, never mind the legal athority, to change what I assume will be electronic locks?

2) How will a ship's owner make a loan payment for a 10-year loan, when the canon 40-year loan is a problem?!?!?

(I've done the math)

1) How does this skip salvager have the ability, never mind the legal athority, to change what I assume will be electronic locks?

2) How will a ship's owner make a loan payment for a 10-year loan, when the canon 40-year loan is a problem?!?!?

(I've done the math)

Originally posted by SanDragon:

(I've done the math)
Howdy.

1. It's amazing what a good, old fashioned cutting torch can do. Actually, they bring a locksmith out first. If that won't work, then they do something real simple, like weld a bar across the door and put a padlock on it. As for the legal authority, I refer you to the Lex Mercatoria, Chapter XXXIV, Section 238, Stroke B, Sub (1) (ImpNet Ref 34 LM 238B(1)).

2. I've reworked the starship economic system to work with 10 year payoffs.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=44;t=000292

--Ty

The primary way that the banks protect themselves is by fitting a “Finance Transponder” (“FT”) to the ship. This transponder is similar to the normal imperial transponder in sophistication and tamper resistance. It contains your loan balance, payment history and when the next payment is due. When you make a bank payment, the bank transmits an encrypted update to the FT. Codes change monthly and and are loaded with the update. Normally, the FT broadcasts nothing.
IMTU big banks and megacorps have crack recovery squads that look for “skippers”.
This makes it even easier.
Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

The primary way that the banks protect themselves is by fitting a “Finance Transponder” (“FT”) to the ship. This transponder is similar to the normal imperial transponder in sophistication and tamper resistance. It contains your loan balance, payment history and when the next payment is due. When you make a bank payment, the bank transmits an encrypted update to the FT. Codes change monthly and and are loaded with the update. Normally, the FT broadcasts nothing.
IMTU big banks and megacorps have crack recovery squads that look for “skippers”.

Really idea & thread. Of course depending on the expertise of the 'ship salvager' (hmm...corsair?)
getting around any lock.
Originally posted by tbeard1999:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SanDragon:

(I've done the math)
Howdy.

1. It's amazing what a good, old fashioned cutting torch can do. Actually, they bring a locksmith out first. If that won't work, then they do something real simple, like weld a bar across the door and put a padlock on it. As for the legal authority, I refer you to the Lex Mercatoria, Chapter XXXIV, Section 238, Stroke B, Sub (1) (ImpNet Ref 34 LM 238B(1)).

http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=44;t=000292

--Ty
</font>[/QUOTE]

Really idea & thread. Of course depending on the expertise of the 'ship salvager' (hmm...corsair?)
getting around any lock.
Originally posted by tbeard1999:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SanDragon:

(I've done the math)
Howdy.

--Ty
</font>[/QUOTE]

The primary way that the banks protect themselves is by fitting a “Finance Transponder� (“FT�) to the ship. This transponder is similar to the normal imperial transponder in sophistication and tamper resistance. It contains your loan balance, payment history and when the next payment is due. When you make a bank payment, the bank transmits an encrypted update to the FT. Codes change monthly and and are loaded with the update. Normally, the FT broadcasts nothing.
IMTU big banks and megacorps have crack recovery squads that look for "skippers"

Mine used to as well. But I got to thinking about the implications of a universe where communications is limited to the speed of travel. In such a universe, weeks or months might pass before the bank realized the owner had skipped. At one jump per week, the number of potential hiding places is very huge after 4-6 weeks. So I got to thinking about a system that would work better. The result was (I think) the FT.

Of course, really brutal repo squads could still be found...

Last edited:
Spec trade, specifically Bk2 with multiple lots (use the lot numbers generation from Bk7, but generate Bk2 style lots, rather than Bk7), or T20, can generate far more income than carriage.

In general, a spec trade ton can generate between 1K and 50K per ton, given an on-board broker 1 and trader 3, you can pick lots that have less than a 3 on the prediction die for purchase, and more than a 3 on the sale die at the next port, which gives a minimum differential. Higher levels of broker can result in exponentially higher returns. Even using local brokers, having a competent trader (3+) one can routinely predict first die AND make predictions that will last long enough to sell. It's a bit tight, but it works. More importantly, it allows purchase prediction. If you have a 1 on the die, and a broker 1, your max buy is 90%, and expected sale is not going to be less than 100%.

Spec trade, specifically Bk2 with multiple lots (use the lot numbers generation from Bk7, but generate Bk2 style lots, rather than Bk7), or T20, can generate far more income than carriage.

In general, a spec trade ton can generate between 1K and 50K per ton, given an on-board broker 1 and trader 3, you can pick lots that have less than a 3 on the prediction die for purchase, and more than a 3 on the sale die at the next port, which gives a minimum differential. Higher levels of broker can result in exponentially higher returns. Even using local brokers, having a competent trader (3+) one can routinely predict first die AND make predictions that will last long enough to sell. It's a bit tight, but it works. More importantly, it allows purchase prediction. If you have a 1 on the die, and a broker 1, your max buy is 90%, and expected sale is not going to be less than 100%.

Of course you can resolve some of the income problem by doing what is done in real life on earth. Tickets and shipping is based on distance travelled, not per jump ( I think that the canon pricing was not fully thought out and was demonstrated to be defective only after it was established by the rules, thereby justifying this change.)

Of course you can resolve some of the income problem by doing what is done in real life on earth. Tickets and shipping is based on distance travelled, not per jump ( I think that the canon pricing was not fully thought out and was demonstrated to be defective only after it was established by the rules, thereby justifying this change.)

Back