• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starships underwater

Hi !

I usually assume starship hulls to be a pretty sealed system and capable of getting along with at least 10 atm overpressure without a problem.
They have to cope with high pressure and high temperature situations during atmospheric reentry or during the crossing of some gas or dust clouds during interplanetary travel.
Well, maybe planetfall is not that tough, because of maneuver thrust available all the time....so we are not going down like a space shuttle

Sensoring is another issue. As I have no real specs of active/passive EMS systems I cannot assume actual sensor performance in water here.
Perhaps a high pen densiometer would be a good idea.

So, "my" starships are generally able to dive but controlled maneuvering depends on sensor capabilities.

There's some information in Secret of the Ancients regarding a ship's ability to enter into a gas giant's atmosphere and survive the pressure. (It's CT, of course, but it's still useful and pertinent, I believe.) There may also be some info in the Kursis Charter adventure that came with the Linkworlds Cluster Sourcebook.

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Originally posted by The Oz:
Yes, there was. There was also an adventure published in the old JTAS where an SDB under computer control was running around sinking ships on a waterworld.

It's in the same issue as the rules for SDB's underwater, number 22.

Oh, and Adventure 9: Nomads of the World Ocean has some rules for combat with hydrofoil/minisub combos.
The rules could be adapted... ;)

Back