• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Suggested Essential Reading in the T5 Book

Draconian

SOC-12
A player found the Traveller 5th-edition book "too much to read" and asked for suggestions on what was "essential." I was pleased to read it all, every last table, no skimming (but I had to take it along on vacation to do it.)

I wrote up this summary for a player (IMHO):
-----

Have a look at Range Bands and Sizes, pages 36 and 54, to understand the terms in the Combat chapter.

There are range bands defined for many other measurements, such as Hot and Cold (in 25°C intervals), the Senses, etc. Hot and Cold damage is the square of the number of intervals away from standard 25°C temperature, in Hits/round. So mild cold one interval over (such as cold weather at 0°C) may do 1 Hit/round, but -100°C weather (5 intervals away) will do 25 Hits/round. The Referee will interpret bands for all measurements.

Read Character Generation pp. 58-111. Characteristics are the same as in Classic Traveller (STRength, DEXterity, ENDurance, INTelligence, EDUcation, and SOCial standing) and generated the same way for humans (on a 2d6 or "2D" roll), but there are Analog Characteristics that aliens might have (such as Agility or Grace instead of Dexterity). If a different characteristic is called for than your native characteristic, you will be allowed to use half of your own characteristic (round up). One exception: inherent Instinct counts as only an Education of 4, but beings with Instinct can generally act first because there is less "thinking" involved. Ranks are measured as Social, Charisma or Caste but may not mean much to alien races using a different characteristic.

A lot of typos exist in the Careers tables. You can download the errata so far from the first page of the T5 Errata forum on CotI (Citizens of the Imperium) (currently the errata version is 0.71). The most notable errata (IMHO!): the phase for Officer Promotion in many careers should be AHEAD of the phases for Commission (Enlisted-to-Officer) and then Enlisted Promotion, so that an Enlisted character can't get a Commission AND a Promotion in the same 4-year term. If an Enlisted character succeeds at a Commission, the next phase should correctly be Enlisted Promotion but they are ineligible, since they are no longer Enlisted but Officers.

If a Skill is divided into different Knowledges, you must apply the first two level-awards of the Skill to two different Knowledges or the same Knowledge. Third and later awards of Skill levels go to the Skill as a whole, and increase all Knowledges by 1 at the same time. There will always be one or two Knowledges higher than the main Skill. Exception: Some Knowledges will get an increase during character generation by special ways. A Knowledge can never be more than +6 higher than its main Skill.

Hemdian (bless him!) made a video about Character Generation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElO4dKQNbyY

Tasks, Skills and Personals, pp. 124-189. The task system resembles what was introduced in MegaTraveller or Traveller 2300. A defined list of Skills follows and some Task Rolls you can do with the Skills are mentioned in each Skill. Characters get 4-6 skills per 4-year term during character generation.

To succeed at a Task, you have to roll LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO (shown just as <) your total (Characteristic+Skill+Knowledge) with a number of dice determined by the Difficulty Level of the Task.

There is a nifty interactive Task Roller calculator tab for T5 on Eaglestone's site (bless him AND canonize him):

http://eaglestone.pocketempires.com/scripts/vilanitools.html

Roughly, I suggest you can convert to the T5 skill-level by taking a Classic Traveller skill-level, doubling and adding one. Some Skills are Default which means everyone gets 0 (they can do a roll on the skill, but the "This Is Hard" rule is always used since the Difficulty Level is always higher than their Skill of 0.) If a character's Skill (+ any Knowledge) is less than the Difficulty Level of the task, add another +1 Difficulty Level, hence "This Is Hard!").

If you roll 1's on any 3 dice, you get a "Spectacular Success" even if the roll failed numerically. If you roll 6's on any 3 dice, you get a "Spectacular Failure" even if the roll succeeded numerically. If you roll 3 1's and 3 6's, the result is "Spectacularly Interesting" (both spectacular positive AND negative consequences).

Personals are skills to build rapport with NPCs and see if you can persuade or coerce them to do what you want. You decide on the type of interaction, and there are Task rolls to see if you swayed an NPC, which are modified by different factors.

Combat, pages 210 - 235, uses the Task resolution system. The Difficulty Level (number of dice to roll) is determined by Range plus added difficulty based on type of attack (Regular, Autofire, Snapfire). If the Size of an object you are trying to aim at is less than the Range band of distance, you can't see it any more and you can't shoot at it. A standing person is Size 5, but if crouched or prone the Size will go down accordingly.

Browse the GunMaker and ArmorMaker sections as well, where gear is devised by the Referee based on Tech Level and QREBS (quality). Guns, other weapons, Armor, Vehicles, and generally all gear can improve with Tech Level: lighter, better quality, more features. See the Tech Level Stage Effects table; the one on p. 500 is authoritative [other tables elsewhere in the rules had errata and the notes say to go back to p. 500].

Successful attacks create damage "Hits". Armor subtracts from this damage. There are many Armor stats besides physical damage, for things like hot/cold, radiation, electrical stun, etc.

Generally, the Hits that pass armor protection are translated into Severity, and the Severity is rolled as a number of dice, and applied to the physical Characteristics in a way similar to Classic Traveller.

Hemdian made a video about Character Combat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipJivyMWgMs

You may browse other bits of the game. The first 21 pages and pp. 631-640 are fluff^H^H^H^H^H important musings about the nature of a roleplaying game, and how to design an adventure. Starship types are the classic Traveller types given in pp. 358-359, and color pics on pages 641-656. Worlds are defined with the same numbers as Classic Traveller, but there are Extended stats for a mainworld's Importance, Economic and Cultural factors (but not much is defined). A star-system may average almost 10 worlds per system, but with the ease of interplanetary travel the Extended stats are considered the same for all subsidiary worlds.

Genetically modified (geneered) characters and robot and android characters can exist. Technology goes up to TL 33, so extremely high-tech beings may be encountered, but they suffer a "technological crisis" and either choose to revert in technology or disappear entirely from our plane of existence.

-----

Last edited:
For players, I'd trim back even more. Note that what you are actually doing is some analysis of what should go into a Player's Guide.

Have a look at Range Bands and Sizes, pages 36 and 54, to understand the terms in the Combat chapter.

I'd omit the paragraph on Heat and Cold damage, simply noting that the referee has tools for handling environments, including extreme temperatures, vacuum, radiation, and so on.

Read Character Generation pp. 58-111. Characteristics are the same as in Classic Traveller (STRength, DEXterity, ENDurance, INTelligence, EDUcation, and SOCial standing) and generated the same way for humans (on a 2d6 or "2D" roll).

[snip]

Ranks are measured as Social, Charisma or Caste but may not mean much to alien races using a different characteristic.

I would omit the explanation of Analog Characteristics entirely, because I think players don't need to know about them until they play aliens.

A lot of typos exist in the Careers tables. You can download the errata so far from the first page of the T5 Errata forum on CotI (Citizens of the Imperium) (currently the errata version is 0.71). The most notable errata (IMHO!): the phase for Officer Promotion in many careers should be AHEAD of the phases for Commission (Enlisted-to-Officer) and then Enlisted Promotion, so that an Enlisted character can't get a Commission AND a Promotion in the same 4-year term. If an Enlisted character succeeds at a Commission, the next phase should correctly be Enlisted Promotion but they are ineligible, since they are no longer Enlisted but Officers.

If a Skill is divided into different Knowledges, you must apply the first two level-awards of the Skill to two different Knowledges or the same Knowledge. Third and later awards of Skill levels go to the Skill as a whole, and increase all Knowledges by 1 at the same time. There will always be one or two Knowledges higher than the main Skill. Exception: Some Knowledges will get an increase during character generation by special ways. A Knowledge can never be more than +6 higher than its main Skill.

I'm trying to think of how to re-word this paragraph. It's a good first stab, but it needs to be worked over.

I'll have to watch this -- I didn't realize he did this.

Tasks, Skills and Personals

Yeah, this is all ok.

Roughly, I suggest you can convert to the T5 skill-level by taking a Classic Traveller skill-level, doubling and adding one.

Similarly ok.

Personals are skills to build rapport with NPCs and see if you can persuade or coerce them to do what you want. You decide on the type of interaction, and there are Task rolls to see if you swayed an NPC, which are modified by different factors.

Yep.

I'd omit mentioning GunMaker and ArmorMaker, because they're far too much Referee Tools and not really Player Friendly -- we need a nice guns and armor list (I've got a PDF of that stickied here on COTI).

And I wouldn't bother mentioning the Stage Effects table -- the players can learn about it in the course of adventuring without suffering pain (I assume).

I'll have to watch that, too.

You may browse other bits of the game. The first 21 pages and pp. 631-640 are fluff^H^H^H^H^H important musings about the nature of a roleplaying game, and how to design an adventure. Starship types are the classic Traveller types given in pp. 358-359, and color pics on pages 641-656. Worlds are defined with the same numbers as Classic Traveller, but there are Extended stats for a mainworld's Importance, Economic and Cultural factors (but not much is defined). A star-system may average almost 10 worlds per system, but with the ease of interplanetary travel the Extended stats are considered the same for all subsidiary worlds.

Genetically modified (geneered) characters and robot and android characters can exist. Technology goes up to TL 33, so extremely high-tech beings may be encountered, but they suffer a "technological crisis" and either choose to revert in technology or disappear entirely from our plane of existence.

-----

These are OK to mention, but they're --really-- optional unless players are already Traveller fans.

For those of you using vehicles or seeking to understand the Driver, Flyer and Seafarer skills, a close reading of pp.290 - 293 Operations, Terrain effects, Altitudes and Depths is essential.

Also Range and Distance p.36 and Benchmarks p.48-55 are essential underlying concepts which define what makes T5, T5.

I'll have to watch this -- I didn't realize he did this.

I'll have to watch that, too.

There are a couple of errors in the videos to be aware of.
  • In the Character Generation video I added a mod when I should have subtracted it.
  • In the Personal Combat video I got the range band boundaries wrong. (Also the sound is not good.)

There are also some ambiguities I'd like to resolve. So I'm waiting on an errata update before remaking the videos.

There are also some ambiguities I'd like to resolve. So I'm waiting on an errata update before remaking the videos.

Your videos were excellent; your combat video and Robject's Dice Roller facility for T5 helped me to understand the underlying game mechanic. Any points are small and only contingent on getting a full-blown official errata update for the game. Still no update since Apr. 2013.

I really had to shift brain-gears for this one. My main game way-back-when was STAR FRONTIERS that used an esoteric system called "per cent probability" rolled on d100 with modifiers...ooooh, that was tough...I also ran a lot of RINGWORLD RPG, again which had per cent.

(To Robject:) I can indeed cut back on some paragraphs for the players, or make it clear those parts are optional "gravy". If ever I get my shambling campaign off the ground, I'm going to be telling them that I will use a rules-light approach for difficult parts of the rulebook.

Last edited:
There are a couple of errors in the videos to be aware of.
  • In the Character Generation video I added a mod when I should have subtracted it.
  • In the Personal Combat video I got the range band boundaries wrong. (Also the sound is not good.)

This is far off topic now, but in my opinion, if you, Peter Trevor, made a mistake when generating a character, then THAT is something about the CHARGEN rules that needs to be improved.

There is no excuse for Traveller rules to fool a seasoned Traveller fan.

Maybe I'm going off half-cocked, but I want Traveller5's rules to be clear enough that people like you or me can follow and understand them. If we can't, then there's a problem.

....yes yes, I know that ACS bent my brain sideways before I 'got it'. I understand that some rules will be complex. But chargen is not an optional part of the game system. Yeah, I'm not writing completely clearly, but these are mainly feelings I'm trying to put into words, not a strict analysis or classification.

I hope you get my drift.

This is far off topic now, but in my opinion,

<snip>

I hope you get my drift.

That’s a fair point.

My position has always been that the rules themselves and their presentation are two different things. Most of the rules, once understood, make sense and I like a lot. (Though there are some issues.) But, and this is a big 'but', their presentation is very confusing and ambiguous in parts. A lot can be derived using logic and hours of contemplation but not everything. I will defend T5 against charges of "bad design" as I reject the notion that bad presentation equals bad design. (Most of the problems listed by other posters tend to fall into the "bad presentation" rather than "bad design" category.

But "confusing" is still an issue. For example, the relationship between Skills and Knowledges. On this very forum I argued vigorously for one interpretation only to realise that the opposite view was almost certainly correct. The Chargen video I made took me a week to figure out (and that's just for one career). On the other hand the Sophont Maker video I made seemed easy.

Meanwhile, Personal Combat seemed relative easy (despite my goof on range band boundaries). But how you apply the damage bonus from movement is completely ambiguous, the restriction on moving and shooting handguns appears broken, the lack of ‘shot’ for shotguns is an oversight, and I suspect there is a flaw in Armour Maker as the values seem too high.

In parallel to the errata, end-to-end examples and walkthroughs will solve much in the short term, and this is what I was attempting to provide in my videos, but in the long term these need to be retrofitted into future editions of the Core Book.

To be fair, I couldn't design starships in MegaTraveller (my previous favorite Traveller version) until DGP included a walkthrough in Digest Magazine. Nor did I fully understand penetration in Personal Combat until a useful little table appeared on DGP's MegaTraveller Screens.

Player's Guide

Excellent notion, and really great work, Draconian, Hemdian and Robject. I will use this information to give my players a low down on the rules.

I am going to try to prepare a "cheat-sheet" guide to the main rules for task resolution and combat. It should be a single side of letter/a4, in clear easy to read format.

Actually I should mention that, for my intended Traveller 5th-ed. game, I put it all as a handout on Roll20.net. Handouts may be hyperlinked to other handouts in-text, so it may help players get up to speed. This is how it looks (go to the link and click Journal, scroll past the blank character sheets to the Handouts and look for 0 - Game Rules Summary) but the only thing the players can do that you can't do with the Journals is increase the page-size with F11.

http://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/119330/the-verdulan-frontier

helpful video - comments

Hemdian,

the character creation was a very helpful video - as a new Traveller player in the process of learning from scratch I am now able to create a (simple - for now) character using T5, as your steps highlights how to do it, by examples.

I was crossing my fingers that you would succeed (in your tutorial) the education check (ED5) so I'd look at how you get things done at college and university. If you do an updated version of this training video eventually - it would be a great addition in my opinion to have a term in a trade / advanced ed :)

As it is written in the book it is hard for me at the moment to put it right just by reading, as it is pretty hard to put it together, but it makes much more sense after I see someone who know how to do it just doing it step by step.

thank you again for providing this resource.

I was crossing my fingers that you would succeed (in your tutorial) the education check (ED5) so I'd look at how you get things done at college and university. If you do an updated version of this training video eventually - it would be a great addition in my opinion to have a term in a trade / advanced ed :)

I rolled a new character in Classic Traveller for a Roll20 game, and I was struck by how little you get to choose your skills. Most other games allow you to pick as your character would likely prefer to develop, but Traveller is random table rolls with maybe a choice of table only.

If you go to University or College, though, you're paying for it; and you're picking your choice of skills. This is powerful! I'd like to pick Beams 6 times in a row if I could during character generation!

Forced, no...

Players shouldn't be forced to read any of the makers.
Encouraged, yes.

During Playtest, one of my players went to town with the Makers. Turns out Making a motorcycle is a best abstract and at worst impossible, but then that was drafts. It was the same player who had a giggle creating the MoonBuster Assault Shotgun, it could hit Orbit. So, I have to disagree I think the Makers allow the player to both customize gear to their liking and specs as well as giving them a chance to add something to the Universe they are Travelling in.

Last edited:
Encouraged, yes.

During Playtest, one of my players went to town with the Makers. Turns out Making a motorcycle is a best abstract and at worst impossible, but then that was drafts. It was the same player who had a giggle creating the MoonBuster Assault Shotgun, it could hit Orbit. So, I have to disagree I think the Makers allow the player to both customize gear to their liking and specs as well as giving them a chance to add something to the Universe they are Travelling in.
How would that be role-played?

Uh....

Why are they making use of the Maker systems?
To Make stuff, duh. Why else would you use them? That is sort of like asking why one uses the SysGen or the ACS design process, seems sort of self evident, one Makes things with the Makers.

EDIT: Unless you are one of those controlling GMs who fears Players knowing the Rules and Target Number and gasp, shock, horror doing non-roleplaying things like they were Referees. In which case what you mean is "Why empower my players?", because their characters live there and I can't and shouldn't do every damned thing for them. They are adults, they can read the rules as well as I can, if they want a custom shotgun why shouldn't they just Make one and run it by me?

To Make stuff, duh. Why else would you use them? That is sort of like asking why one uses the SysGen or the ACS design process, seems sort of self evident, one Makes things with the Makers.

EDIT: Unless you are one of those controlling GMs who fears Players knowing the Rules and Target Number and gasp, shock, horror doing non-roleplaying things like they were Referees. In which case what you mean is "Why empower my players?", because their characters live there and I can't and shouldn't do every damned thing for them. They are adults, they can read the rules as well as I can, if they want a custom shotgun why shouldn't they just Make one and run it by me?
What skill are you letting players make up for their made-up guns?

Back