• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

System Data Exchange Structure

The reason I have the breakdown is to make it easier to sort and filter worlds without having to parse the UWP or some kind of ugly regex. This XML doc is really just a database of worlds.

If anything the UWP could be removed.

I agree that the breakdown should be on the same level as the UWP, and that the UWP can even be optional. I've used it many times to filter out worlds... if you've ever looked for "that perfect world" that meets a range of criteria, nothing helps like a regex on the UWP.

The reason I have the breakdown is to make it easier to sort and filter worlds without having to parse the UWP or some kind of ugly regex. This XML doc is really just a database of worlds.

If anything the UWP could be removed.

LINQ is awesome for querying data (especially XML).

works for me! (and sometimes regex can get pretty...interesting).

However, as I thought this was for sending/receiving data, you would want to minimize the footprint. You can expand it locally (internally for the program, externally to save a local version). Can't help myself: I've programmed using card decks and hate having extra data (that and you get into data integrity issues quite often when you duplicate data inside the same database. Not an issue if the data is generated automatically as you are doing w/MySQL, bit potentially an issue if you update it it via a 2ary program and only fix 1 of the 2 places that field is at)

works for me! (and sometimes regex can get pretty...interesting).

I think it was the developer of the Netscape browser (name escapes me) that said it:
Paraphrasing: When you have a problem, and you ask yourself:" Can I solve this with RegEx?", now you have two problems...

Back