• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5: A Modest Proposal for the Designers

I've always played CT,MT and 2300AD with the Cthulhu/RQ BRP system.
nothing wrong with that at all - unless the jump drives start whispering ....
Players don't really want to know much energy a plasma gun uses...some GM's do, they just want to know that it goes BANG and kills the bad guys.
yeah, but there's a lot riding on combat outcomes, more than most other game events, and most players do want to know how to protect themselves, what's going to work and what isn't, so it's hard to avoid those sorts of details unless your players are willing to ignore them. "is tech 15 cloth armor better than tech 9 cloth armor? by how much?" "well ...."

Originally posted by TWILIGHT:
Players don't really want to know much energy a plasma gun uses...some GM's do, they just want to know that it goes BANG and kills the bad guys.
But I need to know how many shots I'll get from a plasma gun with laser rifle powerpack!

nothing wrong with that at all - unless the jump drives start whispering ....
brrr... Hey! What about that religious order that sit in the back of ships during jump and 'commune'! What are they communing with? yog-Sothoth? (or I am confusing this from some other game?)

oh, and Event Horizon was garbage. (we need a space horror say studio.... don't need plot, just lots of incidents and horror/space movie clichee)
It was like alien ressurection meets ghost ship meets i know what you did last summer. awful.

Originally posted by TWILIGHT:
oh, and Event Horizon was garbage. (we need a space horror say studio.... don't need plot, just lots of incidents and horror/space movie clichee)
It was like alien ressurection meets ghost ship meets i know what you did last summer. awful.
Don't sugar coat it. Tell us what you really think!

Event horizon is an excellent Movie: I had my players watch it before going to the "rescue" of a ship in a pre-jump universe.

The rescue was fairly straightforward, but they kept worrying about bugaboos creeping out of the walls at them, which made the tension of exploring a derilict savaged by "they didn't know what" a lot higher.

Especially since the FTL malfunction used a poorly controlled gravitic explosion, so there were strands of collapsed matter floating about, causing periodic (unexplainable) equipment failures

GM: "The emergency backup lights in this section have just failed, and the corridor is now pitch black except for the faint glow of your vacc suit control lights, and the tiny red dots of the emergency evacuation route."

Player: "I switch on the helmet searchlight and look around"

GM: "Your searchlight seems to be non-functional, but your backup handlight still works, your visibility is about 10 meters"

Player: "What's wrong with my helmet headlamp"

GM: "The power pack appears to have been cut through by an incredibly sharp knife: only the failsafes kept it from exploding"

(Remaining players stop investigating anything on their own)

But I'd have to agree that Event Horizon was a dog: an attempt at Hellraiser in space. Telling what I really think would put me in violation of the posting standards of this board.

Scott Martin

Originally posted by davidm:
Bit of a ramble, but here goes...

I'm still somewhat puzzled as to why [GURPS] isn't more accepted in the Traveller community. Perhaps it's just down to the seemingly standard hostility to change (ok, maybe I've been reading too many TML archives lately
)?
The answer, at least in my case, is that GURPS is a lousy game, particularly for modern/sci-fi. Its greatest "strength" -- flexible character generation -- is also its greatest annoyance. It takes far too much time to create a character IMHO.

And the less said about the combat system, the better. Despite heroic attempts over the years to make it playable, it still stinks, especially for gun combat.

I've always suspected that GURPS' success (IMHO) is mainly due to the fact that its support materials have always been first rate. GURPS was also helped (I think) by the fact that the d20 system attempted to replicate GURPS' combat system and did a comparatively poor job of it.

And the 3d6 curve is just too small. It's remarkably easy in GURPS to get a skill to level 12+, which equates to a 74% chance of success. The reality is that there are only about 5 meaningful steps in a 3d6 curve -- 8 or less is lousy (26% chance or less of success)and 12+ is excellent (74% chance of success).

Given that the average is 10, this really means that there are only about 3 meaningful steps in the curve. The result is a game in which it is easy to get very high competencies in any particular skill. This then requires a great deal of special rules and modifiers to make the system work.

Using a d20 instead of 3d6 would help a lot by tripling the number of significant steps. But that would probably offend Steve Jackson's convictions against polyhedrals. A bias that made some sense in 1977, but makes little sense today IMHO.

While I deeply respect Steve Jackson's design abilities (Ogre/GEV is one of the best games ever IMHO), GURPS is a triumph of superior supplement design and brute force. It is not his finest hour as a game designer in my opinion.

Just my $.02.

In terms of T5, an obvious major factor in choosing a design is the target audience.

Is T5 meant to please long-term Travellers whose heart lies in CT? Frankly, I doubt it could. A lot of fans have many years of investment in their particular version, and unless T5 magically makes their gaming efforts easier and more enjoyable without fundamentally feeling any different from CT as well as being super-compatible with minimal errata, they're not going to bite.

That's a good point. Presumably, most of us have created our "house rules" for ourselves, so its unlikely that a new game will suit us. The Internet has made it a trivial task to share ideas and concepts with other players, so I doubt that a professional game design will come up with any significant new concepts.

That said, there's an advantage in having a published set of rules that are at least similar to the plethora of house rules -- it gives newbies (or overworked oldies) something to play. Also, it could work as a sort of "Rosetta Stone" for new supplements and adventures.

I think that we'll bite, but I'm skeptical that we'll actually play the game. Unless, of course, it matches closely to the game that we love (in my case, CT, with a Striker derived combat system and adjustments to make Book 4+ character less overwhelming).

Personally, I'd like to see T5:

--Use CT for character generation, world generation, encounters, etc. Include alternative system to build characters from points. Fix problem with Book 4+ chargen (they get FAR more skills than Book 1 and COTI characters).

--HG for starship design and combat

--Striker for the combat system (with a few fixes), but SIMPLE!!! I don't think it's necessary to integrate starship combat and ground combat, but have conversions available. Include simple vehicle combat rules.

--Put all the gearhead stuff in a FFS style supplement and don't waste any further resources on gearhead stuff. Let the Internet fill that gap.

I don't see a lot of love for T4, arguably the most accessible direct heir of CT. Errata and awful presentation killed it's appeal for me.

Me too, although the system was uninspiring as well. The 1/2 die concept was a major whip.

T5 -could- take the TNE route and try to lure in new players - but again, I doubt this is something easily achieved if one is to create a true successor to earlier editions. Traveller just ain't for the masses - it appeals to a pretty small niche of the niche of an industry that RPGs are to begin with.

You are probably correct.

Having said that, I have the dubious habit of grabbing just about any bit of Traveller I can get my hands on and I love them all (to varying degrees), but I sure as hell don't need any more rules.

As an amateur game designer, I'd like to see another attempt to update Traveller for the current generation. I think that the 3rd Imperium background could stand some serious sprucing up to enhance the coolness factor. Some suggestions:

1. Evocative artwork for weaponry and armor (see 2300AD for instance). Better names -- "Cloth" is boring compared with "TL8 Light Combat Armor" or somesuch. More detail in the TL9-11 weaponry and armor. Look to the first person shooter video games for examples.

2. More weapons! Heavy weapons! Armored vehicles!

3. Revise the aliens so that they are interesting. No sci-fi game has a less inspiring group of aliens IMHO. Make the Aslan into Kzinti. I'd ditch the Vargr...hard to imagine a fearsome warrior race of basset hounds. The Droyne, K'Kree, etc...<yawn> Of course, this would result in some serious retconning and long time Traveller fans might be offended.

4. Maybe a "Mirror, Mirror" version of the standard Traveller universe?

We expend all this energy each new edition trying to establish the perfect task system, the perfect chargen or the perfect design system (and the perfect errata
) and by the time Traveller publisher x gets around to actually advancing the universe, their edition ups and dies.

I think that goes for younger generations of roleplayers too - they want interesting settings more than interesting rules.
I agree.

The perfect anything doesn't exist. Setting that as a goal sets us up for failure. The focus has to be on "how fun is the game?" -- a designer has to think about how the game forces players to make important decisions, how every piece of equipment modifies players' decision-making criteria, and how the referee can craft a captivating background.

Rules are, to some degree, less important than that. That's why GURPS sells: they provide rich backgrounds. The rules work, better for some than others, but good enough on average.

Traveller wouldn't be Traveller if it didn't have what we already know. Although with an evolutionary model, improvements can emerge which illuminate things that were only hinted at before.

Assuming publishers write adventures for Traveller, they'd prefer not to have to make up their own rules; they would just want to write the adventures. Have a firm foundation, as it were. That's why CT doesn't cut it anymore.

Personally, I'd like to see T5:

[...]
Gearhead stuff already exists, in FFS2 (with errata of course). To support T5, it would require a revision number, nothing more.

Worldgen and encounters and trade are largely CT, with some fixes.

Chargen is distantly related to both Citizens of the Imperium and Traveller 4, and allows simple point-based quick generation.

Personal combat is more like Traveller 4.

3. Revise the aliens so that they are interesting. [...]
Aliens are getting... rephrased. Reformatted. Recycled? I've done my share of yawning at the aliens in Traveller, but I blame the Alien Modules more than anything else. They're not getting thrown away, though.

Is T5 meant to please long-term Travellers whose heart lies in CT? Frankly, I doubt it could. A lot of fans have many years of investment in their particular version, and unless T5 magically makes their gaming efforts easier and more enjoyable without fundamentally feeling any different from CT as well as being super-compatible with minimal errata, they're not going to bite.
It certainly is possible to please CT-ers, to some degree. Their number one criteria is often accessibility. To MT and T4 players, precision and flexibility tend to be more important than accessibility.

Mostly, in this particular context, (and in other contexts as well), it means "I'm talking out of my rear and have no clue", especially since I've heard a certain TNE product (Brilliant Lances) is quite accessible, while I know from experience that another TNE product (FFS) is not.

Originally posted by robject:
...especially since I've heard a certain TNE product (Brilliant Lances) is quite accessible, while I know from experience that another TNE product (FFS) is not.
Gawd, I don't know about that Rob. I have Brilliant Lances (and Battle Rider too...never played, counters still unpunched), and I tried to learn it.

I scrated my head a few times, then put it down. Then, a few years after I bought it, I tried to learn it again.

The second time, I gave up, said screw it, and went back to Book 2 space combat with Range Bands.

I wouldn't describe Brilliant Lances as accessible--it's definitely more complicated that, say, Mayday.

Originally posted by Supplement Four:
Gawd, I don't know about that Rob. I have Brilliant Lances (and Battle Rider too...never played, counters still unpunched), and I tried to learn it.
So anyone looking for a copy of 'Brilliant Lances' or 'Battle Rider' in like new (?) condition should PM their bids to Supplement Four.

Originally posted by Supplement Four:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by robject:
...especially since I've heard a certain TNE product (Brilliant Lances) is quite accessible, while I know from experience that another TNE product (FFS) is not.

I scrated my head a few times, then put it down. Then, a few years after I bought it, I tried to learn it again.

The second time, I gave up, said screw it, and went back to Book 2 space combat with Range Bands.

I wouldn't describe Brilliant Lances as accessible--it's definitely more complicated that, say, Mayday.
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, there ya go then. Me talking out my arse again, see?

Originally posted by robject:
The perfect anything doesn't exist. Setting that as a goal sets us up for failure.
I must have mispoken; I've never complained that a game (or anything else) was not perfect. I don't like GURPS for reasons that do not require perfection. I gave some specific examples in my post.

The focus has to be on "how fun is the game?" -- a designer has to think about how the game forces players to make important decisions, how every piece of equipment modifies players' decision-making criteria, and how the referee can craft a captivating background.

Rules are, to some degree, less important than that. That's why GURPS sells: they provide rich backgrounds. The rules work, better for some than others, but good enough on average.
<shrug> I don't know how we can assess whether they work "good enough" on average. Sales doesn't necessarily get us there -- I own all versions of GURPS and almost all of its supplements. I keep hoping that GURPS will get better, so I buy each new edition of the rules. And I find the GURPS supplements to be excellent, even for someone who doesn't play GURPS.

I can say, that GURPS objectively does not work "good enough" for me.

And if someone is wondering why GURPS Traveller hasn't been embraced by as many of "the faithful" as expected, the GURPS game system might be to blame.

Traveller wouldn't be Traveller if it didn't have what we already know. Although with an evolutionary model, improvements can emerge which illuminate things that were only hinted at before.

Assuming publishers write adventures for Traveller, they'd prefer not to have to make up their own rules; they would just want to write the adventures. Have a firm foundation, as it were. That's why CT doesn't cut it anymore.

Yes, I agree with that. A current version of Traveller would provide a frame of reference, if nothing else. Ideally, the designer would provide conversion guidelines (and if the new version was close to CT, conversion would be easier for us troglodyte CT referees).

Gearhead stuff already exists, in FFS2 (with errata of course). To support T5, it would require a revision number, nothing more.
As a business move, I would avoid expending finite game company resources -- especially money and employee time -- on gearhead stuff. I don't think that such stuff provides reasonable bang for the buck. I think there are better uses of resources.

Worldgen and encounters and trade are largely CT, with some fixes.

Chargen is distantly related to both Citizens of the Imperium and Traveller 4, and allows simple point-based quick generation.
I like staying with CT for the worldgen and trade/encounters.

If a points system is included, it should be a robust, well-considered and comprehensive system. Fast is always desirable, but simply throwing something together would be a waste of time, seems to me.

I'm toying with a system that uses points for attributes and allows free skill selection, but still randomizes the career path. I think that this would keep one of Traveller's most defining characteristics, yet largely address the complaints of the current generation of gamers.

Personal combat is more like Traveller 4.
Too bad. There's an annoying aspect of T4's combat system that I just can't take. Armor reduces the dice of damage taken by the target. A seemingly elegant solution, but it requires that the Referee tell the players exactly how much armor the target is wearing, or roll *all* damage rolls behind the screen.

Neither alternative is acceptible to me.

--Ty

Sorry tbeard -- I didn't mean to assume your position on perfection
Anyhow, your points are understandable and reasonable.

Back