• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 Adventure Arc

Would an exploration campaign with an unexplored (by the players or by maps available to the players at the start) sub sector to survey be considered a dungeon crawl?

Originally posted by robject:
Probably - Leviathan tried to do that.
How'd it work out? Noticed the tried - I'm too stubborn to give up on the idea completely just yet, but too old not to learn from others.

Originally posted by SGB - Steve B:
Would an exploration campaign with an unexplored (by the players or by maps available to the players at the start) sub sector to survey be considered a dungeon crawl?
It depends if it is just a Star Trek mission, meet the locals, kill the monster (whether there is one or not is not relevant) and then shuffle off to the next star system without any other goal then the fact that it is next point of light on their map.

If you looking for a decent explorations game...check out the Grand Explorations thread I wrote a long time ago.

Originally posted by kafka47:
If you looking for a decent explorations game...check out the Grand Explorations thread I wrote a long time ago.
I was unable to find this thread while searching the entire CotI boards for "Explorations" and "Exploration" - care to post a link?

http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=46;t=000032

After much stress and fighting with the search function on this site. But, the fact that it works, and not lost for all of time. We must be eternally grateful.

Funny, until, now I have not thought of this board as successor to the HIWG but I guess it is sans the membership fee, unless you want to count the Moot, as that.

So at this time of year, we all feel special, but THANKS HUNTER for making all this possible.

Originally posted by SGB - Steve B:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by robject:
Probably - Leviathan tried to do that.
How'd it work out? Noticed the tried - I'm too stubborn to give up on the idea completely just yet, but too old not to learn from others. </font>[/QUOTE]Well, Leviathan (i.e. Adventure 4) has a lot of great ideas to mine, even if the campaign isn't played. The setting is rich and varied, with sketches of three interstellar corporations (and the tensions between them), cool-sounding personal names, a handy grab-bag of rumors, and world descriptions, many with interesting and memorable histories. A lot of effort was put into shaping the background "feel" in a little space.

Each world is a mystery - you know where the systems are, but you don't know their contents. There's also some unifying themes that the referee can use to bind the adventure closer together if need be.

The Leviathan itself is a good job, too. Essentially an 1800-ton light cruiser (or armed exploratory vessel) with nice deckplans and an impressively detailed crew breakdown.

The problem is that Adventure 4 is mainly setting. The referee has his job cut out for him in crafting each adventure from what really is a campaign booklet. Each world is potentially a separate adventure, and the booklet is too short to deal with each adventure.

It's an ambitious book, and while it succeeded in crafting a great background setting, it leaves a lot of work for the referee, as well as requiring a committment to up to a dozen separate mini-adventures for a full treatment. That's quite daunting, and I think it would benefit from additional support.

Webber had a neat series of books (March Upcountry, March to the Sea, March to the Stars, etc). That might make a good story arc:
Players hired for a safari on a backward planet by a spoiled rich kid. Political coup happens, the kid isi the sole survivor of the ruling family. The players now have everyone in their corner of the universe looking for them / the kid.

No real benefit to dumping him / turning him over. It should be made clear to them that they would be "disappeared" (They see a news report where the ship that delivered the kid to them had a freak Jump drive failure and blew up. All hands lost).

The books are a coming of age for the spoiled rich kid. He ends up earning the respect of the men guarding him. It might be just as fun (For the GM) for him to be a whining spoilt rich kid the whole time making petchulant demands loudly at the most in-opportune times.

The group needs to make contact with the resistance by taking a dangerous trip through bad guy held territory.

It could be a series of adventures:
1) Get the heir off planet to a safe spot.(Fighting withdrawl)
2) Make cointact with the resistance. (Intrigue / espionage)
3) Fly the gauntlet to get the heir home.(Action /espionage)
4) And of course turning him over is not that simple (The leader of the resistance doesn't want to be replaced by a snot nosed kid).

Back