• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 Errata Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonM

Marquis
Errata document 0.71 now available... (to fix Scheme Payoff formula)

Please post only errata items with page numbers for the T5 kickstarter hardback release in this thread. Issues for the T5.09 PDF release go in the T5.09 errata thread.

If you want to discuss things, that's what the errata discussion thread is for. Posts which are discussion here will get moved to the errata discussion thread.
Thanks!

Marc has posted the missing Example chapters at http://farfuture.net/FFE-Links.html.

Attachments

• Traveller5_Errata.pdf
    308.5 KB · Views: 980
Last edited:
p.13

p.13, second column, THE GAME RULES, second sentence: “consistent” s/b “consistency” or “concept” s/b “word”

p.15

p.15: A Brief History of the Universe, fourth sentence, and first column, third footnote: Milieu and its plural may not need to be defined twice on one page
p.15, second column, second paragraph, third sentence, fourth “son”: “still yet” s/b “still”

p.16

p.16, first column, second full paragraph, first sentence: “ruins;” s/b “ruins,”
p.16, first column, first and second full paragraphs, footnote 1: “Humans”, “humans”, and “human” all appear; capitalisation should be consistent
p.16, The False Dawn, first paragraph: “Kursae -- “ s/b “Kursae – “ (note en-dash)
p.16, The False Dawn, third paragraph: “thousand centuries” s/b “thousand centuries,”
p.16, The Vilani Era, third paragraph: “Soon thereafter” s/b “Soon thereafter,”
p.16, The Early Empire, second paragraph: “approvals, everyone” s/b “approvals, and everyone”

p.17

p.17, Parallel Civilizations: “Aslan Hierate;” s/b “Aslan Hierate,”

p.17, Parallel Civilizations: “Consulate;” s/b “Consulate,”

p.17, The Important Eras in History, Consolidation Wars: Suerrat are mentioned here without prior introduction; do they need it?

p.17, The Important Eras in History: “Imperial” and “Imperials” both appear; usage should be consistent

p.17, The Important Eras in History, footnote 5: The Galaxiad is mentioned nowhere else in the document, other than the trademark-notification page. Will it be expanded upon in future documents, or would it best be removed from this one?

p.18

p.18, first paragraph: “Yet everything” s/b “Everything”

p.18, first paragraph: “itself… “ s/b “itself…”

p.18, Communication Limited to Transportation Speed, second paragraph: “Consequently” s/b “Consequently,”

p.18, Communication Limited to Transportation Speed, second paragraph: Four appearances of “--“ s/b “—“ (note en-dash)

p.18, Communication Limited to Transportation Speed, second paragraph: En-dashes should not be bracketed by spaces (usage is inconsistent)

p.19

p.19, second full paragraph: “Yet primitive” s/b “Primitive”

p.19, Artificial People: “invisible… “ s/b “invisible…”

p.19, Social Science Adds Character and Flavor, first paragraph: Two appearances of “--“ s/b “—“ (note en-dash)

p.19, Social Science Adds Character and Flavor, first paragraph: En-dashes should not be bracketed by spaces (usage is inconsistent)

On page 145 it reads:

"Stacking Knowledges and Skills
Although Knowledge levels are limited to a maximum of
6, they can be stacked with skills. An Engineer with Drives-7
and Power Systems-4 has a skill level of 7 and can use that
ability when dealing with most starship drives. He has a specialization
in Power systems, which gives him a total skill
level of 11 when dealing with Power Systems."

"Drives-7" appears to be an error. I think the skill should read "Engineer-7." Both J-drive and M-Drive would be a knowledge and would not stack with Power Systems. Power Systems is under the skill "Engineer" not "Drives."

Here.

I was just looking at that myself... I'd like to recommend that as a temporary fix, the Navigation under World Travel be replaced with Soldier Skill, but I'm going to ask Marc why Rogues don't get Fighter and see what he does.

Cool. I made a suggestion in the pre-release forum.

It's also worth looking at it's options compared to the Scholar's Conflict table. Entertainer career cannot get Fighter (though that may not be an oversight, it's more consistent with Entertainers).

As it is now, with the scheme mechanism, I think the Rogue career is more complicated heist/thief/long-con than most of the things in the description (corsair, pirate, scamp, bandit, etc.),

Similarly, Agent is pretty much only undercover agents.

Couple of other questions that I've seen in Chargen on the board and in my head:

Military career commission and promotion skill rolls: which table can they roll on?

Army and Marine career Branch tables: what modifiers? (without modifiers, results 7 Technical and 8 Medical are impossible). By comparison, Spacer shows DM+2 if Edu 10+.

Often (Entertainer, Spacer, Army, Agent, Rogue, Noble, Marine, Scout) but not always (Merchant), the Technical skill table has several non-technical skills: Art and Athlete and arguably Seafarer (if you don't take Aquanautics).

I thought the skills and knowledges were reversed at first too (in beta), but pg 157 is clear about Engineer being a skill. Pg 174 points is clear about J-drive, M-Drive and Power Systems being Knowledges.

Thank you. I see that now.

Is the Merchant muster out table supposed to be identical to Spacer? It even lists Retirement x 2 and Retirement is only a benefit for Armed Forces members. Also the roll is DM + Officer Rank, which is probably OK, but given the questionable table I figured I'd ask.

Personal Combat, Armor, and Damage

The following issues need to be clarified, IMO, based on my reading of the rules and the discussion here. Please do not clutter up this thread with discussion about these issues, post them in the thread above. I will edit this post accordingly. Thanks.

p. 271 - SUSPECTED ERROR: The Basic Armor table does not seem to reflect accurate values. I believe the value of basic armors under Ca= should be the values for Ar=. (An example found on p. 224 bears this out. Thanks Reban.) I'm guessing the values currently under Ar=should be Ca=, though I am not certain. I am also guessing the values under Se= should be under In=. (A leather Jack doesn't protect against vacuum, but might provide insulation vs. heat and cold.)

CLARIFY DAMAGE ROLLS: When a weapon does multiple types of damage that all hit Armor, should the damage be rolled separately or combined? For example, an AR-7 does Bullet-2, Blast-2. Is this two 2D hits, or one 4D hit? The closest ruling on this is p. 225, "Protection is in points. If, in a single attack, Hits exceed Protection, the excess is applied as Damage to the target." (Thanks, Fridge). However, this is far from clear, and an obvious statement about this mechanic ought to be easy to find.

CHECK THAT VALUES ARE ACCURATE: Targets wearing any armor at all make basic weapons nearly or completely useless. I.e. Jack Armor, assuming AR=5 (See above), then P-5 Pistols only have a 17% chance of harming a character if they hit (Bullet-1 Damage). A character in Cloth armor is immune to simple (2D) pistols, rifles, and shotguns (and strongly resistant to 3D weapons). A character in Quilt is immune to all weapons that do 3D or less. Because there is no mechanic for armor degradation, technically a character in Quilt can survive unscathed an attack by any number of assailants using civilian-grade weapons, no matter the skill of the attackers or the length of the attack, without Referee fiat.

CLARIFY PURPOSE OF HIT LOCATIONS: There are rules for Hit Locations, but they seem only to be for the purpose of assigning wounds. The rule about armor penetration states that when hits surpass the armor value, the armor value is reduced to zero for the remainder of the combat situation. Does this rule mean the armor value of a particular location or of the entire armor? If armor value is assigned per location, does basic armor only protect certain areas? I.e. Does Jack protect just the chest and arms? Does a suit of Quilt protect the head? Clarification is needed.

CLARIFY PURPOSE OF MULTIPLE DAMAGE TYPES HITTING ARMOR: This excludes protections (IN, FL, SE, etc.) and their damage types, as these rules are clear. Rather, this specifically refers to the damage types that hit Armor: Corrode, Bullet, Blast/Blow, Frag, Burn, Wound, and Pen. As the rules stand now, there is no fundamental difference between each of these types, other than name. There is no provision in Armor maker for making protection vs. Corrode (for example) higher without also increasing the resistance against all these other types. (Because they all hit the same thing.) There is no difference taking Burn damage vs. taking Frag damage. Penetrate damage hits just like Bullet damage. If the names are just for descriptive purposes, this should be specified, (though IMO if it's only for color, it should be scrapped for simplicity and let the players add their own color.)

I will add additional material on this topic as it arises. Thank you.

Scouts have a Secrets table on p104, I'm assuming for generating one as a muster out benefit, but Scouts don't get Secret in their muster out table on p87.

This condition also exists for Craftsmen, Scholars and Nobles.

Last edited:
There are examples of multiple damage types versus armor and protection at the bottom of page 214.

But we need an example of a weapon which has two Effects against Armor, not one against Armor and one against Insulation. That is where the confusion lies.

GunMaker Errata

Here are some issues I believe need addressing in GunMaker. I have started a discussion thread about these issues here. Please do not clutter up this thread with discussion of these issues; rather post them on the other thread. I will update this post as the discussion evolves. Thank you.

CLARIFICATION NEEDED ON BURDEN MODIFIER FOR ARTILLERY: p. 251, the Categories table of GunMaker lists the qreBs values for artillery as -1, -2, -4, -4. However, given that a negative B modifier makes a weapon lighter, should these values not be positive? I.e. as you get to bigger and more unwieldy guns, they become more burdensome?

ASSAULT ARTILLERY DOES BANG DAMAGE AS PRIMARY: p.252. The Assault Gun (and other Assault Artillery) has Bang damage listed as its H2, Blast damage listed as its H3. Since, with all Artillery, the H1 type is the same as the H2 type, this means that the Assault Gun does more Bang damage than anything else. (p. 251: "* Hit Type is determined by other details of the weapon.") As you modify this weapon (Advanced, Heavy, etc.) it only gets louder, but does not do more physical damage.
AG-8--Wx: R=4 7500cr 7.2kg B=-1 Bang-3 Blast-2
HAG-8--Wx: R=5 15000cr 9.36kg B=3 Bang-4 Blast-2
AAG-11--Wx: R=4 15000cr 5.76kg B=-2 Bang-5 Blast-2

STANDARD SHOTGUNS ARE UNATTRACTIVE CHOICES, DESIGNATED SHOTGUNS ARE BETTER THAN SIMILARLY DESGINATED RIFLES: Generally speaking, Shotguns do equivalent damage to rifles, yet have much shorter ranges. While shotguns are slightly cheaper, and do offer a (small) benefit in CQ (Rifle=-5, Shotgun=-3), these advantages do not seem compelling enough reason to purchase one over a Rifle. Conventionally, shotguns sometimes have a wider field of fire or the ability to hit multiple targets within their limited range, but there are no rules providing for this. (Which may be as intended, but it would make shotguns a more attractive choice.) Note that Shotguns actually become better than rifles (due to price) if you select Hunting or Assault shotguns. Some comparisons are below. Note the range on the Assault Shotgun. This is because GunMaker assigns a range of 4 to any weapon with the "Assault" descriptor. I'm not sure this makes sense for a shotgun to hit targets at 500m, even with slugs (though the rules specify shotguns as shooting pellet shot).
Standard Comparison:
R-5--Wx: R=5 500cr 4kg B=0 Bullet-2
S-4--Wx: R=2 300cr 4kg B=0 Bullet-2
SR-5--Wx: R=2 600cr 2kg B=0 Bullet-3 (Survival Rifle, for comparison)
Hunting Comparison
HR-5--Wx: R=3 600cr 3.6kg B=-1 Bullet-3
HS-4--Wx: R=3 360cr 3.6kg B=0 Bullet-3
Assault Comparison
AR-7--Wx: R=4 750cr 3.2kg B=0 Bullet-2 Bang-1 Blast-2
AS-6--Wx: R=4 600cr 3.2kg B=0 Bullet-2 Bang-1 Blast-2

"LIGHT" LASER WEAPONS: There is no point making "light" versions of laser carbines or rifles. A light laser carbine has the same basic stats as a laser pistol, but is much heavier and more expensive. The same is true with laser rifles vs. laser carbines.
LtLR-10--Wx: R=4 3300cr 3.36kg B=-1 Burn-3 Pen-2
LC-10--Wx: R=4 2400cr 3.6kg B=-1 Burn-3 Pen-2
LtLC-10--Wx: R=3 2640cr 2.52kg B=-2 Burn-2 Pen-2
LP-10--Wx: R=4 300cr 1.32kg B=0 Burn-3 Pen-2

"HEAVY" LASER WEAPONS: Conversely, a Heavy Laser Pistol (HLP-10) outperforms a Laser Carbine in nearly every way except Burden. Further, it does the same damage as a standard Laser Rifle, yet is much cheaper, gives a better CQ bonus, and weighs comparably (factoring in Burden), and the same Range (see below).
HLP-10--Wx: R=5 600cr 1.72kg B=3 Burn-4 Pen-2
LC-10--Wx: R=4 2400cr 3.6kg B=-1 Burn-3 Pen-2
LR-10--Wx: R=5 3000cr 4.8kg B=0 Burn-4 Pen-2

LASER PISTOL RANGE: Laser pistols have the same range as laser rifles or carbines, which doesn't make much sense to me. Since a Laser Pistol does the same damage as a Laser Carbine there's no incentive to even buy a heavier, more expensive, worse-in-CQ Laser Carbine. IMO, Laser Pistols should have R=3, Laser Carbines R=4, Laser Rifles R=5. (Or perhaps 2/3/4).

MACHINE PISTOL POSSIBLY OVERPOWERED: The "Machine" Designation for Pistol (MP-5) creates a weapon that is superior in nearly every way to other weapons in its class. This is mostly because of the damage it does for the price and weight. Curiously, the Machine Pistol does not grant Burst or Autofire. (There is no provision for "Machine" designation on the table, p. 256) If the damage was brought down to comparable levels but the pistol was given Burst and/or Auto capacity that might make it more appropriate.
MP-5--Wx: R=3 225cr 1.32kg B=0 Bullet-3
MgP-6--Wx: R=3 165cr 1.21kg B=1 Bullet-2 (Magnum Pistol)
R-5--Wx: R=5 500cr 4kg B=0 Bullet-2 (Standard Rifle, Less Damage, Better Range)
HS-4--Wx: R=3 360cr 3.6kg B=0 Bullet-3 (Hunting Shotgun, same damage & range, more expensive, worse in CQ)
BR-6--Wx: R=5 400cr 4kg B=1 Bullet-3 (Battle Rifle, same damage, better range, more expensive, worse in CQ)

CLARIFICATION ON "ANTI-FLYER" AND "ANTI-TANK" DESIGNATION: p.244-245. "Anti-Flyer: The weapon is intended for use against Flyers, typically through a higher rate of fire than similar weapons. Anti-Flyer refers to some aspect of the weapon’s operation…" If the weapon is intended for use vs. Flyers, are there any special bonuses when attacking these targets? Are there penalties when used against non-Flyers? None are specified in the rules, making the "Anti-Flyer" weapon just as effective vs. all targets. Similarly, Anti-Tank weapons are intended against heavily armored ground vehicles but "may reasonably be used against any vehicle." Are there bonuses for use of these weapons vs. vehicles? Penalties against non-vehicle targets?

CLARIFICATION ON NON-PROJECTOR LASER WEAPONS RECEIVING POWER LEVEL CONTROLS: p. 256. "Adding Laser to Rifle adds P1-P2-P3 to become Off-Single-Burst-P1-P2-P3." This means that Laser Rifles have a variable power setting. Also on p. 256, "P1-P2-P3: The weapon has three settings for power level. The standard level is P1 and corresponds to 1D damage in each of the possible damage types for the weapon." This is confusing, since the rules also specify that Laser Rifles base damage is Burn-4, Pen-2. If the lowest setting is at P1 corresponds with Burn-1 and Pen-1, and the highest setting to Burn-3, Pen-3, how does this explain the GunMaker information for Laser Rifles? Conversely, does this mean that setting a Laser Rifle to P2 turns the damage to Burn-5, Pen-3? And if set to P3, does it become Burn-6, Pen-4? (Wow, that's going to hurt, even with the Quality check). Clarification is needed, here. (Personally, I would remove P1-P2-P3 from all Laser weapons except Projectors, where you can have a variable Laser Projector.)

CLARIFICATION ON RANGES FOR "SNUB", "BODY", and "VHEAVY" BURDEN: The table on p. 253 lists the range modification for these three Burdens with an asterisk, i.e., *2, *1, *5 respectively. There is no notation of what this asterisk means. I am assuming it means you do not modify the range of the weapon like in other Burdens, but rather set the Range to that number (i.e. All Snub weapons have a range of 2). But this should be spelled out.

CLARIFICATION ON "TARGET" STAGE: Target Rifles and Pistols are "optimized for accuracy" (p.247). However, there is nothing in the QREBS for this Stage that affects accuracy. Quality gets a +2, but Quality does not affect accuracy. Ease of Use, however, does. Should it be E instead of Q?

Last edited:
p.80 Table 03: the second line of the header is missing a tabulation (A3 should be under A0, A8 should be under A4, etc.)

p332 Hull Configuration

There are five illustration on this page paired with description of the different Hull configurations.

"A" is labelled "Winged Airframe Hull", everywhere else its just "Airframe Hull".

The illustration for "L" Lifting Body Hull appears to be the classic Type S Scout. Clarification is required whether all classic Scouts are built with Lifting Body Hulls? I'm skeptical if that hull shape would generate lift as per the description.

p298 Military Vehicles

Tank, Carrier and Vehicle all have entries under TL. These conflict with the Motive TLs. Have they a purpose or are they a remnant and should be deleted.

Military Vehicle is a 2 Ton hull but according to NoteV you "Install ONE fixed mount weapon". A 1000kg to 100,000kg weapon on what is meant to represent a range of vehicles from Humvees to Military Air/Rafts? I don't think so.

p300 Vehicle Enhancers

Passenger Module has a -3 to Speed. I think this has been shifted to the wrong column and it should be -3 to Load.

GunMaker Errata Continued

CHECK RANGE ON PROJECTORS/LASER PROJECTORS: On p. 251, Projectors are listed as base range of 0. Most of the Descriptors for Projectors on p.252 have Ranges assigned to them, except for Laser, defaulting a Laser Projector to R=0.

CHECK TECH LEVEL FOR PROJECTORS: Projectors have a base Tech level of 9. While this makes sense for certain types (esp. Exotics), it does not make sense for certain Spray Projectors, such as Fire, Poison Gas, Acid, Stench, which all could exist with WWII-era technology at least. Other types might need reevaluation as well. (Sonic Projectors have base TL of 12? Laser Projectors have TL 14, when Laser Rifles are TL 10? etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back