• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

t5 Task System converted to Roll-High

hay what is it about TNE system?
I just started reading my TNE book- and so far I like the system, but i have not gotten to combat!
the chargen is smooth and very effective and I was hoping the rest of the rule flowed this way.
I am not a fan of the setting, but the system is less problematic then T4 so far, what am I instore for?

Have you played or run any other version of Traveller? If so you'll know that combat is a last resort as it is all too easy to end up seriously injured or dead in most Traveller rule sets. Not TNE. Shrugging off a couple of pistol rounds isn't a problem for most charcters.
The task system for handling skills is not bad, but it favours high attributes above skill levels.

CT: Joe average can't die from first shot, but may be KO'd by it, but second shot can (and if a longarm, will) kill.

MT: One shot can kill. 10 shots can bounce, doing nothing. Any PC can be killed with nay weapon, barring armor. Anything not fuly hard shelled can get hurt by many weapons which won't penetrate...

T4: Same damage system as CT, but different way of getting to it (determining hits...)

T20: One good hit can kill most PC's...average hits will KO low level and hence youthful) chAracters, even chance of kill/KO for veterans, and grizzeled old vets will still be kicking until you kill them...

GT: Luck plays less role, but many guns can drop one right quick, and many can kill in one shot.

TNE, However: Joe Average 666666-6-6 can take no less than 12 hits to any area and keep functioning. IIRC, it will take nearly a 25 point hit to tackle the chest...
While Joe NPC can only take a total of 20 points; at 21 he's dead. Oh, and Joe NPC is KO'd by 10... And just for reference, most small caliber guns can't quite kill NPC's; double for crit and again for head hit, on 1d6-1, and you get 20 points of damage. Tie him up for later....

Personally, I like MT and T20 better than the other options. T20 is flexible enough, and also both lethal enough and non-lethal enough to make things work for me.

If you had read the Challenge article that came out at the time, discussing lethality in RPGs, you would know that it's not so far-fetched for some one to survive lots and lots of gunshot wounds, especially in an era where competent medical attention is usually only minutes away. Indeed, for the most part, killing some one outright with a gunshot should be accomplished on a critical result. Anything less just hurts a lot...

Let us also consider the environment the game was thrown into. How many players like to see their characters die in the first encounter to a lucky shot? Considering the amount of FUD generated by dying during character GENERATION, I should think you would be a little more open to the idea of surviving an encounter or two too. Really, did your character SUDDENLY become a fragile idiot, just because you are playing him at this point in his life? That would be kind of insulting, to think that players are all idiots, because they can't keep their characters alive more than a few days of taking control of them.

I think it's pretty reasonable to allow a character to survive past his first encounter more often than not. Not too many games DON'T give a player some kind of edge, to allow them to survive their first session and beyond. Who wants to spend hours ROLLING UP characters, to have them die in the first few minutes of the game? How realistic is it that, every step of the way, the protagonist party loses a few members, but the exact number of losses is always made up at the next break in the action?

No. Realism, playability, and thrill-seeking ALL demand that a PC can take a lickin and keep on tickin. Sure, the sheer stupidity of picking fights with streetgangs should get your butt handed to you, but how many would watch a movie or read a book in which ALL the central characters were killed within 5 minutes of appearing on the screen, and mystically the replacements always continued whatever mission they were on, even when none of the original members were still there?

Your 12 hits example is a bit misleading. That's 12 damage points, something that can EASILY be accrued in short order, and there are plenty of steps before you get there, in which that limb becomes less-functional. Shoot yourself in the arm with a .22. Does your arm fall off? Probably not. Assuming you missed the important blood vessels, you could probably stand a dozen MORE shots from a .22 to the same arm. That's a lot more damage than 12 hits, I'm pretty sure.

Like any game, there is a trade off between stark realism and playability and fun, and no two games do it quite the same way. I think TNE did a reasonable job of striking a balance, like most other games have done. If you don't agree, then by all means, use your favored system. Nothing can appeal to everyone all the time.

Back