• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The C.S.S.P. Plan Discussion Thread

I'm not sure if we can sign up to just do individual systems/clusters, or if we have to sign up to do entire subsectors.

If we can sign up for just individual systems/clusters, here is what I volunteer for:

Paraquat Johnson: hex 1522, hex 1230, hexes 713,913,914,1014.

If we have to sign up to do an entire subsector, then I volunteer for:

Paraquat Johnson: ss F, J.

Most of the invidual worlds I was looking at doing fall inside those two subsectors.

I'd rather we focussed on large scale history first, before we detailed individual worlds or polities (especially given that we're probably going to be changing most of the UWPs anyway).

So to update whose working on which ss:

Flynn: ss B, C
Malenfant: ss D
Gruffty: ss E, G
-as of Sep 03rd.

Ranofsteel-ss H
Far Trader & LcKedovan ss M & N ?
--as of Sep 04th

--as of Sep 06th.

which leaves A, I, K, L, O, & P. Am I right thus far?
I'll toss me hat in the ring for A, if there are no objections.

I think it might be useful to define what "Working on the subsectors" actually means...

I'm assuming it means "figuring out what polities are there, what their history is, and making minor alien races as appropriate". I don't think people should be starting on any of this til we've nailed down the broad sector history though (when the major races arrived, etc), which we're currently doing in other threads.

I'd like to claim dibs on the UWP generation for the whole sector (with Flynn's help, I hope?), that way I can use the Revised UWP Generation system that I will eventually get sorted out.

Malenfant,

I'm going to wait on you for a batch of UWPs with real stars before commencing detail work on Subsector H.

I've still got some thoughts boiling away for Sol history from -1500 to 990, not that they'll all survive scrutiny.

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:

--as of Sep 04th
Well, not officially, on my part at least. I too was thinking it's a little early to start in on that. I was just doodling with borders and stuff. Very preliminary ideas, which have changed some already.

And I've run into some extra RL work that'll slow me down on participating for the next bit too.

All that said I'd love to play with M and N and be happy to have LcKedovan helping out in any capacity.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
I think it might be useful to define what "Working on the subsectors" actually means...

I'm assuming it means "figuring out what polities are there, what their history is, and making minor alien races as appropriate".
Yep, that and some atmosphere* stuff, based on the "realistic" (more so at least) UWPs.

* not what you breathe (or whatever), the dramatic (?) kind

I don't think people should be starting on any of this til we've nailed down the broad sector history though (when the major races arrived, etc), which we're currently doing in other threads.
Agreed, from this corner at least.

I'd like to claim dibs on the UWP generation for the whole sector (with Flynn's help, I hope?), that way I can use the Revised UWP Generation system that I will eventually get sorted out.
And I'm all for that too. I think, I guess...

Meaning I'd still prefer to stay as close as possible to what canon data there is that remains valid, but as you noted making the program deal with input of parts could be a pain.

Hmm, here's a thought, what if you just had the program generate a bazillion (well a few hundred anyway ;) ) UWPs that could be searched and sorted for any field(s). Then if I want a "corrected" UWP for a system with a class A starport and TL11 (for example) I could have a look at the ones that match that criteria and pick one.

With enough hearts and minds doing the work we should be able to actually make the Sector more realistic and stay closer to the AotI hard data where we can.

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Liam Devlin:

--as of Sep 04th
Well, not officially, on my part at least. I too was thinking it's a little early to start in on that. I was just doodling with borders and stuff. Very preliminary ideas, which have changed some already.

And I've run into some extra RL work that'll slow me down on participating for the next bit too.

All that said I'd love to play with M and N and be happy to have LcKedovan helping out in any capacity.
</font>[/QUOTE]Cool, was wondering if you would mind or not :D . At any rate, I know we have a lot of work to do with histories, politicial entities etc. etc. before we get to the nitty gritty, but I figured it was a good idea to stake our claim ;) .

RL is real life, we all have it pop up from time to time, but there is no real rush on this stuff anyway :D

-W.

Is there any chance of getting some ftp server space, so we could share documents. some of these ideas could be better analysed in as full texts, maps etc, rather than scattered across all the threads. actually a yahoo group might be better, tho for documents only, not discussion!

I have asked Hunter but I don't think we'll get any (as it is, we have this board, I think that's quite enough to expect from him).

As mentioned elsewhere, the problem with yahoo groups and MSN groups is that you usually need passwords to access them, and I don't see the need for that. Plus it'd be harder to follow discussion there.

So far things seem to be working OK though, most people have access to their own webspace don't they?

thats true. I suppose we can leave gathering up all our data in one place til later, tho that will have to happen at some point.

I do have my own broadband server, so when the time comes I could set up a site for that kind of access (we would have a generic user/password that everyone could use)

lets discuss later on

right, finally bitten the bullet and started on my own trav site. All thats there atm is a little dice utility i knocked up a while back. Its a flash movie so its downloadable (and automatic, every D20 die + 2d6 every 3 secs). Thought it'd maybe save on some of those die rolling wrist injuries

http://www.crookedlimb.net/nisseau/spechre.html

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:

Flynn: ss B, C
Malenfant: ss D
Gruffty: ss E, G
-as of Sep 03rd.

Ranofsteel-ss H
--as of Sep 04th

--as of Sep 06th.

which leaves A, I, K, L, O, & P. Am I right thus far?
I'll toss me hat in the ring for A, if there are no objections.
I'd like to bagsy sector K, since its the last one with non-Hiver worlds ;)

are we going to liase, cuz I can think of a couple of minor issues:

Duplication: we could end up with too similar worlds in diff subsecotrs

Pet planets: I have a few, and I'm sure others do, that may need to be put in particular subsectors.

If we keep each other informed regularly then we can advise/critique/improve each other stuff.

Comment?

If we create a CSSP-Files Thread, each person would create one and only *one* post on it. Each person would put their links to images and files in that one single post.

Updates and additions would be handled by Editing the single post.

At this point, we effectively have a File-Sharing center.

That's a good idea. if you start the thread, I'll "sticky" it.

Klaus,

Duplication won't be too much of a problem, I think. That's one of the better points in favor of using some random system for the Not-So-Important worlds, anyway. It removes creator bias, and adds diversity. Others will disagree, of course, and some might say it depends on which random system you use, but it is my opinion.

-Flynn

Has anyone developed a modified UWP generation system?

I was wondering if you could have a moderated system, where along with random worlds from scratch there were ways of generating 'colony worlds', 'high-tech metropolitan worlds', 'mining worlds' etc.

This might be just a series of modifiers to apply to the regular rolls (if they were tweaked properly they'd fit into the system too)

Sometimes you might have a vague idea what kind of world you want. This is why I tend to invent my codes, only rolling when I don't have any ideas, cuz you never know what might happen.

No, the whole point of a top-down approach, as I understood it from reading people's reasons for it, is to create a consistent background that "makes sense" to those that create it. While that may be one definition of creator bias, I refer instead to a creator's unconscious bias not to include any airless rocks, for example, or too many habitable worlds, because it doesn't match their preconceived notions of what's fun to play with for them.

I'm hopeful that once the UWPs are finally done, we can do an analysis and find the distribution of world types to be acceptable, and reasonably diverse.

-Flynn

I refer instead to a creator's unconscious bias not to include any airless rocks, for example, or too many habitable worlds, because it doesn't match their preconceived notions of what's fun to play with for them.
but isn't that the purpose of the project? to manufacture a sector suitable for preconceived notions?

Back