• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The C.S.S.P. Plan Discussion Thread

This makes me wary. What is to keep the end result from appearing too contrived? Certainly there is some room in the universe for Random Chance?

Otherwise, wouldn't a preponderance of so many similar worlds imply the hand of a "creator" or at least a "modifier" ?

A completely generated sector could be just as contrived... And the idea is not to create similar worlds. This is one of the short comings of the generation system, that and the fact that airless rockballs often seem to get settled over lush earth-like worlds.

Most other sectors that have been worked up in some detail are Imperial. I think the Sol Rim and the Hiver Fed might have a different flavour, and adjusting the UWP could provide that difference.

Originally posted by Klaus:
Has anyone developed a modified UWP generation system?
I'm working on it... give me a chance to get over a few humps and then I'll post something!

Originally posted by Malenfant:
That's a good idea. if you start the thread, I'll "sticky" it.
Done.

I have also unstickied this thread and turned it into a general discussion thread for the plan, and made a new (closed) thread for me to post the updated plans that result from the discussion. I moved Gruffty's original posts on this thread over to that one.

Hopefully this will make things easier to keep track of.

Grufty,

I was under the impression that Malenfant was going to provide a batch of UWPs to work with.

These would not be set in stone.

It would then be up to us to work with what is provided. Before unilaterlly altering the UWPs/Characteristics, we should probably post a note of exactly what changes we intend to introduce on a "pre-generated" UWP in order to allow our resident co-conspirators on this project examine the changes.

Although, naturally, we all will want to make changes, we don't want to accidentally all wind up making the same changes . . . (great minds think alike, and all, don't'ch'ya know . . .).

Pesonally, I am waiting with great anticipation for the release of the Heaven & Earth 2 Beta System Module; scheduled for Oct 3 at the moment (tentatively, no guarantees). If it's all it's been promoted as, system/world tweakability will be very high.

I'm going to work on the creation of the Pran home star system (and any others) with it.

Well, people can deliberately place whatever planets they like (so long as they're vaguely realistic) for what they have in mind in their sandpit. I can come up with some realistic UWPs to fill in the gaps around those.

Originally posted by Gruffty:
I'm open as to who/how the system details are generated. If Mal's happy to provide some UWPs for people to play with, that's fine by me.

Once the timeline kinks have been ironed out and we're all agreed on the dates/events, then we can put the borders in place (based on the timeline data) on the map. Then we can start looking at system information in detail.
Sounds like a plan, no, wait, this is the Plan Thread! We're on-topic! Nooooooo!

Well, considering I'm still working on the Revised UWP Generation Rules, I'm not sure people can do that much in that regard at the moment (as a matter of fact, I have an ulterior motive for wanting to test these rules out here). Once those are sorted out then people can regenerate the UWPs with them.

Otherwise there's nothing stopping people from coming up with their own worlds so long as they're willing to tweak them a bit if they're unrealistic.

At the moment I don't think we've really nailed down what the main polities/political groups etc within Spica are (esp. in the unaligned part of the sector), so maybe it might be better to sort that out first?

Back