• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Gateway: Lords of Thunder Wars, or the Vegetarian Conquests

Personally, I love it as the K'kree come into their own to become My Little Ponies of Death.
FOR THE HERD!
🐎⚔️☠️

Which is where I note that a tragic typo in Supp 4 introduced the "Equestria" skill.*

------------------
*I just made that up.

I've found surprisingly few literal typos or spelling errors in the LBBs. But... Striker does mention something about "Vegicles".

Last edited:
Due to changes in the narrative
Three of the four 1248 books still work reasonably well. The RC/Lucan War occurs before the Wave reached Vland (and Kirur, coincidentally) and much of the Dominate War is in the next row of sectors to rimward, which the Wave doesn't reach until 1240 or so. Events in Vland, Lishun, Antares, Empty Quarter, and Star's End would need to be re-examined, including the participation of the Vland and Spinward fleets in the Dominate War. The timbre of a Keepers of the Flame campaign would be a little different, as the Wave is bearing down on the coreward edge. The Freedom League is still a century or more in front of the Wave, so no real changed are needed there.

The book that is harder to keep is Spinward States. With the new Wave already come and gone by 1248, the states in the Marches are going to be a bit rough compared to the landfill diplomacy of the book. With Avery having been present at Regina, however, the Marches are likely much more aware of the coming threat, so few worlds will be forced to recover from the Wave without assistance. By comparison, the Imperial Core, messed up by the double whammy of Hard Times and Virus, may not see the Wave coming.

The second TNE CD-ROM. The first covers the TNE Era by GDW years 1202-1210 . The second CD-ROM has books with IY 1248 from ComStar/Avenger Enterprises. The overall history of Charted Space, about 80 pages of history IY 1129-1248 is in Traveller 1248 Book1: Out of Darkness. The other three main books provides greater detalls on the Spinward States (former Regency), the new 4th Imperium (yes, no joking) in Gushemege Sector, and the Freedom League.(former Reformation Coalition) and parts Rimward.

Even though I may be this era's biggest cheerleader, in fairness a warning: Due to changes in the narrative found in Marc Miller's novel Agent of the Imperium and the Mongoose 1st Edition Zhodani book, the characteristics of the Empress Wave were changed. It was made faster and deadlier, to the point that canonicity of 1248 and even TNE itself is questioned. Some wish to chuck it all, some like me are willing to keep the things that could still happen in the relative past like the 1150s when the Gods of Thunder make nice with Virus. Since this is the IMTU forum, go for it! Or not. YMMV.

Personally, I love it as the K'kree come into their own to become My Little Ponies of Death.
FOR THE HERD!
🐎⚔️☠️
If you're the biggest cheerleader for 1248, then I'm certainly on the line somewhere! The Spinward States absolutely rock as a familiar yet new-ish Traveller setting that begs to be tinkered with. My first post in this thread about the wormhole is something I did in my 1248 game to introduce the encroaching threat of The Lords of Thunder to the States.

No UWP in 1248 either for, but the borders of the Dominate, along with the Empress Wave cutting into Ley Sector is found Here:
Travellermap Ley sector - IY 1248

Given the fervor of the Gods of Thunder and that Virus strain, it is safe to say there no meat eaters in the green zone. Or repentant omnivores either.
Lure was totally blank, save for a mostly lost dot map by the old HIWG Quadrant Editor, and the old redline map of polities. I generated from scratch, saving only the old HIWG subsector names as I found the dot map too late. There is no 1248 data because the work done on the sector prior to my taking it up consisted of the unsupported dotmap and eight subsector names. That's IT.

Here's part of the sector that's a bit farther along, circa 1105. Still a WIP, though.

Attachments

• Lure Gamma June 21.png
    Lure Gamma June 21.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 7
My first post in this thread about the wormhole is something I did in my 1248 game to introduce the encroaching threat of The Lords of Thunder to the States.
Uh ... wouldn't the Empress Wave have used the wormhole to get to Gateway faster than it otherwise should have?

The Revelation (which may or may not be the right term for it) is that more than 90% of Imperial population is on a very short list of worlds, the High Pops. Much of the Rebellion is shaped by those worlds as objectives, bases, and targets. In the Imperium, those worlds otherwise run quite a spectrum of types and TL, since they fall under the standard world building process.
I’ve noticed the same thing in looking at the Gateway Quadrant – there’s a few planets with Billions of population that should be a pocket empire in their own right. They should be able to field 200k dT battleships and patrol whatever space they want within 4-6 parsecs, keeping it safe for their own purposes. ie. Sheridan: Glimmerdrift (324) TL C, 60 BN.

In Gateway Sector 286 worlds, Population 177.7 BN, 28% live on 4 worlds and 58% live on 30 worlds; 86% of the population is on 12% of the planets.

K'kree space is different, per CT. The K'kree themselves strongly prefer a particular subclass of worlds, which manifests as a significant bias of population toward those worlds in the K'kree world building process. The next random step in that process produces TL, which is strongly biased by population. The result of the double bias is that a significant majority of K'kree live on nice worlds (to them) with high TL.
I would think that the majority of worlds in Lure would be generated under CT world generation since they are not K’kree worlds in 990, but will become K'Kree worlds from 990 to 1105 and beyond. I played with population growth between 990 and 1105 and figured out that at 2% growth, world population would double in ~ 36 years (investing rule of 72). I don’t believe population would grow that fast, on MOST worlds. Who wants to or can afford to raise a child on a Hostile Habitat World? Just musing, did anyone write about K’Kree fertility? How many settlers do they ship in?

@GypsyComet has been working on the area. There are notes available for the asking. There may well be an opportunity for coordination.

Other than some fan materials, I know of no other sources for the area. If you are serious about working, I recommend joining the T5 Second Survey mailing list to get a hold of everyone who might be interested.
Thank you. How do I go about finding said mailing list?

Uh ... wouldn't the Empress Wave have used the wormhole to get to Gateway faster than it otherwise should have?
Actually, no.

The Farreach/Gateway Wormhole is certainly an 'Ancient's Artifact' as it is completely contained by a series of artificial ringed structures that mark the phenomenon's location and seem to stablize and regulate the event.

Only material objects in motion falling directly and perpendicularly into the throat activate the large stargate structures on both sides of Charted Space. Materials falling randomly towards the throat are redirected through gravitational warping that is probably generated by the ring structures.

Light, heat, and other forms of electromagnetic waves do not activate the Gates and are scatteted and depolorized by them under directed exposure.

Smallcraft and Starship alike can transverse the phenomenon, however use of jumpdrives is not recommended, as no trace of those experiments have ever been recovered.

Collisions 'inside' the 'tunnel' have never occured, even when coordinated usages on both sides of the Gate are simultaneously performed.

The throat is closely monitored by space control stations to reduce collisions upon entering and exiting the Gate, but accidents do occur and debris is swiftly moved away by the gravitational warping field enveloping the phenomenon.

Travel time through the device is near instantaneous. Whether this is done through a quantum tunneling like effect on a massive scale, some form of space folding technology, or an ultra advanced dimensional jump portal is not understood and it could very well apply elements of all the above.

I would think that the majority of worlds in Lure would be generated under CT world generation since they are not K’kree worlds in 990, but will become K'Kree worlds from 990 to 1105 and beyond.
The Lords of Thunder are still converting many of their conquests by 1105, and the Renkard Union worlds, for example, are still described as under occupation in MTJ#4. Once I have all of their worlds worked out, I'll update their wiki page, which still has a lot of speculative placeholder garp in it. Otherwise, yes, only the two subsectors that are part of the Two Thousand Worlds have been K'kree for very long. The border of the Thunder worlds in 990 shows their growth pattern. While they do surreptitiously get help from certain elements within the TTW, they are still constrained by K'kree logistics, and also want to avoid most other TTW client states, so they avoid the coreward part of the sector. After Virus sweeps through and they become the Dominate, I think they will expand backwards into the Two Thousand Worlds to get more bodies and materials already suited to them, before surging toward the Imperium. Then along comes the Wave to wreck their backfield *again*. IMO, the K'kree never fully recover from the stacked abuses.

To be fair ... no one really does. :unsure:
True, but it is useful to establish that the race that puts most of its people on worlds that don't need high tech to survive was still rendered blind by Virus, and scrambled like most others by the Wave. The race that, much like the Zhodani, have been unified during their entire spacefaring history was fractured to the individual world level. The race that includes only a small minority of serious thinkers surrounded by idiots had its social order upended twice within a lifespan.

The other Major Races all have social structures that support individual action, even if it is by a small group. The K'kree have no positive social structures of that sort, only a pressure to serve the Herd regardless. By the time the individual worlds recover from the immediate effects of the Wave, the K'kree as we now know them are already gone forever.

IMO, the K'kree leadership is in the business of regime preservation, their supposed religion notwithstanding. They have a couple thousand years of examples of what they are capable of when the entire Herd is fully engaged, and that terrifies the leadership for the same reasons the Zhodani stopped expanding: control. The Classic Era K'kree are already on the verge of shattering, with several client states for which serving the Steppelord of the Two Thousand Worlds is mostly lip service. The discovery of the Lords of Thunder in MegaTraveller just shows that the edge of the cliff is closer than we, or the K'kree leadership, were previously aware of.
Virus and the Wave just finish the job. The survivors among the K'kree are no longer "The Herd", but, at best, "The Herds".

K'Kree philosophical question: If we must kill all G'naak, and the worms eat their bodies, do we have to kill the worms too?
Answer: Are worms really G'naak? What is Carnocide? If it "eats meat", but doesn't prey on the herd, is it worth killing?

Answer: Are worms really G'naak? What is Carnocide? If it "eats meat", but doesn't prey on the herd, is it worth killing?
The herd always had an idea of correct ecological balance, or at least learned the lesson the hard way. It becomes difficult to maintain a correct balance when the life forms on a world have evolved in a predatory environment. Tribbles, for example.

So I would agree, only the creatures large enough, or smart enough, to endanger the herd are killed (or enslaved). Everything else is left alone.

It does leave a question of: Is there a world or two toward the core of the Two Thousand Worlds which should be inhabitable, but no one lives there because the ecosystem is still recovering from whatever damage was inflicted on it in an effort to K'kree-terraform it.

Back