• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Merchant Fleet in the Spinward Marches

Carlobrand

SOC-14 1K
Marquis
I'm working on a GURPS/CT hybrid for background, drawing on the Wiki sector trade map. There's enough similarity between the two settings for it to work, assuming a departure from the standard cargo cost rules as follows:

Jump-1: Cr1000/dTon
Jump-2: Cr1500/dTon
Jump-3: Cr2500/dTon
Jump-4: Cr4000/dTon

These values give a 1000t cargo ship of the indicated jump capacity roughly the same profit margin as a J-1 freighter.

Anyway, I broke down the map to gather data:

Total shipping across the Marches: 135,333,500 dT weekly. Amounts to less than Cr200 per person per year, sector-wide, based on the GURPS standard of Cr10,000/dTon. Imperial share of that is 113,002,000 dT weekly. To move this tonnage in Imperial space requires:

• 37,621,000 tons Imperial J-1 freight ships;
  • 67,168,000 tons Imperial J-2 freight ships;
  • 67,742,000 tons Imperial J-3 freight ships;
  • 5,364,000 tons Imperial J-4 freight ships;

assuming High Guard construction and ships of 1000 dT or more, or a total 177,895,000 dTons of freight ships. Of course, there will be free traders, subsidized liners and such in the mix - a lot of them - but since the bulk of shipping is along blue "major" and cyan "main" routes, they actually account for a very small percentage of overall tonnage.

Which brings up the next point: for small-ship-universe aficionados, more than 80% of Imperial shipping activity is in 3 subsectors: Rhylanor, Mora, and Trin's Veil. This creates a situation in which one can depart from the canon universe to build a small-ship setting by declaring that the Imperium husbands all of its major fleets in those three sectors and at Junidy in Aramis sector, covering the approach from Corridor.

In the frontier area, both the Imperium and the Zhodani by unwritten agreement operate only light forces of up to destroyer size. The great cost in blood and gold and the disruption wrought by the First and Second Frontier Wars, over systems whose economic value could not begin to justify such cost, prompts both sides to withdraw major assets to defend the most important subsectors and limit naval activities in the frontier to light units: each side independently decides to only to send larger ships forward if the other side crosses the line with larger ships. The frontier then becomes an area of border skirmishes, government sponsored privateers, and the occasional frontier border war fought only by destroyer squadrons. Jewell and Efate, with strong SDB defenses, are fortress worlds securing the most valuable systems of the Imperial frontier, Cronor serving a similar role in Zhodani space.

With a total 177,895,000 dTon merchant fleet and an estimated useful life of 40 years, Imperial shipbuilding is limited to about 4.5 million dTons annually, most of that in the Rhylanor, Mora, and Trin's Veil subsectors and most of it building the large ships that serve those subsectors and the few large ships that run the single main route through the frontier to Jewell and Efate. Frontier subsectors are limited to construction of smaller ships serving the minor, feeder, and intermediary lines of their subsectors, about 5% of the total construction tonnage, but since these are the smaller ships of 200 to 5000 dT, and represents about 235,000 dTons of ship construction annually, this still represents a decent amount of work for the smaller frontier yards.

Last edited:
In the frontier area, both the Imperium and the Zhodani by unwritten agreement operate only light forces of up to destroyer size.

that's a great setting delimiter, both plausible and game-enhancing. outstanding.

that's a great setting delimiter, both plausible and game-enhancing. outstanding.

Since he mentioned the wiki:

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Spinward_Marches_Sector/economic/Milieu_1116
http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/File:Spinward_Marches_Sector.pdf

From the first page, the column you want to look at is the "Trade (MCr/Year)". The second file, the PDF file, shows where trade flows go to and from.

Some of that info is new to me. What is "build"? Where are they getting that item? Is some of this the new T5 stuff?

Wait, does that mean carlobrand didn't get it from that source?

I got it from the trade map at that link; it draws on GURPS Far Trader.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/File:Spinward_Marches_Sector.pdf

The other link -

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Spinward_Marches_Sector/economic/Milieu_1116

- has bits there that I'm not sure where it comes from. Far Trader doesn't deal with RU or Build, and some of the numbers don't seem to match up with the trade map. Rio for example has a single red trade route, averaging 1000 dT per week or about 52,000 annually - MCr520 average annually - and it moves an average 20 passengers per week or about 1000 annually, according to the trade map. The second link gives it a trade volume of MCr122 annually, which is a good deal less, and an average 5800 passengers annually, which is a good deal more. I'm presuming another source was tapped for that data.

This section of the Trade map key has an explanation of the columns on the economic pages.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Trade_map_key#Sector_Economic_Data_Key

Build is the theoretical maximum starport building capacity based upon population and government. The rules are from Trillion Credit Squadron. These rules have been de-canonized, but included because there really isn't any thing to replace them. The value is in tons of ships being built/serviced at one time.

RU is the T5 Resource Units. There are two ways of calculating RU, based upon errata and reversed. This uses one method, and may need to be updated. It's generally a meaningless unit.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Trade_map_key#Trade_Map_Explanations

Keep in mind the colored lines are related to BTN (Bilateral Trade Number), which represents an order of magnitude of trade. The BTN 8 (Red) lines represent anywhere from 100M to 1 billion Cr per year in trade. The estimates on the map key page are for the middle of the range (300M to 700M per year). But Rio's trade is 125M per year. Just barely over the line to qualify for BTN 8 and a red line for trade. So yes, the estimate from the map key will be much too large for Rio.

The same applies to the passenger counts. BTN 8 represents between 1K and 10K passengers per year, so 5800 is the middle of the range.

The two other numbers you would be interested in would be Port Size (0-7) is a relative size of the port. And SPA (Star Port Authority) population, which is the number of (Full time) employees working at the port. Rio port has 20 people. Which means it's probably not open except when a ship is expected. Show up at the wrong time and you may be waiting for someone to show up and open the gates.

The two other numbers you would be interested in would be Port Size (0-7) is a relative size of the port. And SPA (Star Port Authority) population, which is the number of (Full time) employees working at the port. Rio port has 20 people. Which means it's probably not open except when a ship is expected. Show up at the wrong time and you may be waiting for someone to show up and open the gates.

Heavy GURPS influence then. Makes sense. I'll have to get my hands on the Starport book.

Heavy GURPS influence then. Makes sense. I'll have to get my hands on the Starport book.

I've gone through every Traveller book I can find to find statistics that I can generate without having to roll dice. GURPS has a large number of them, so I mostly used those.

If you have others that I may have missed, please point them out.

I've gone through every Traveller book I can find to find statistics that I can generate without having to roll dice. GURPS has a large number of them, so I mostly used those.

If you have others that I may have missed, please point them out.

Not that don't cover the same ground. The various systems are reasonably consistent about the world statistics, but GURPS is the only one that I know of that fleshes them out in any detailed way. Only other solution I've found is to press TCS or Striker into service, and they really weren't designed for that, though Striker did put me pretty close to the GURPS per capita income values.

Some of the Milieu 1116 table WTCs do not match up with sources. For example, 457-973 is larger, and 728-907 and 886-945 have no populations but now have D ports. Is that errata?

Not that don't cover the same ground. The various systems are reasonably consistent about the world statistics, but GURPS is the only one that I know of that fleshes them out in any detailed way. Only other solution I've found is to press TCS or Striker into service, and they really weren't designed for that, though Striker did put me pretty close to the GURPS per capita income values.

Some of the Milieu 1116 table WTCs do not match up with sources. For example, 457-973 is larger, and 728-907 and 886-945 have no populations but now have D ports. Is that errata?

I'm not sure where your sources you are referring to. But the data in the economic page is taken from Traveller Map as of 1-FEB-2017, and would be the latest and most up-to-date version. And would be considered the corrected errata for any other published version.

If my memory of the GT:FT playtest is correct, the source of the GWP values was from Striker, tweaked slightly to make the numbers flow better, and then compressed into the GT Tech Levels from the CT ones. So, yes, the two should be pretty close.

I'm not sure where your sources you are referring to. But the data in the economic page is taken from Traveller Map as of 1-FEB-2017, and would be the latest and most up-to-date version. And would be considered the corrected errata for any other published version. ...

Then the Milieu 1116 table has some errors. 728-907 and 886-945 both show with E ports on Traveller Map.

I'm not sure why they decided to make 457-973 bigger. I expect updates to population and government and the like, but size is an odd thing to change. It's out of step with GURPS now; they have it at 2,623 miles. Not a biggie except having the sheet draw so heavily on GURPS and then go out of step with GURPS is likely to irritate some of the GURPS crowd, unless there's an errata over there that I don't have. I wonder what the rationale was.

Then the Milieu 1116 table has some errors. 728-907 and 886-945 both show with E ports on Traveller Map.
Both worlds are E ports and barren on the table in the wiki, and in the articles as well. Not sure where you are seeing anything different.

I'm not sure why they decided to make 457-973 bigger. I expect updates to population and government and the like, but size is an odd thing to change. It's out of step with GURPS now; they have it at 2,623 miles. Not a biggie except having the sheet draw so heavily on GURPS and then go out of step with GURPS is likely to irritate some of the GURPS crowd, unless there's an errata over there that I don't have. I wonder what the rationale was.

As part of the T5SS review, a number of small size worlds were made physically larger, so they could keep their atmosphere. Worlds of size smaller than 4 can't keep anything larger than a trace atmosphere, it doesn't have enough gravity to keep the gases. Worlds of size 4 can only keep the very thin atmosphere (think mars). So worlds with denser atmospheres got made larger, and there were a fair number of them.

Both worlds are E ports and barren on the table in the wiki, and in the articles as well. Not sure where you are seeing anything different. ...

*@&%#!! My bad. I pasted it over to an Excel file for off-net use, and the copy-and-paste misread some of the letters.

Are there any Tech Level differences figured in there, or is it strictly a matter of population and starport type?

I have Striker in hard copy, and Trillion Credit Squadron in digital and hard copy, and the reason for asking is that in Trillion Credit Squadron, there are no tech level modifiers for any ship construction.

Are there any Tech Level differences figured in there, or is it strictly a matter of population and starport type?

I have Striker in hard copy, and Trillion Credit Squadron in digital and hard copy, and the reason for asking is that in Trillion Credit Squadron, there are no tech level modifiers for any ship construction.

For which values?

GWP is based upon TL, modified by planetary type, and multiplied by population.

WTN is population + TL modifier + Port modifier

Trade, port size, and SPA population are based upon comparing WTNs and route finding.

RU has a minor TL component, its from the Ex values in each world.
IX also has a TL modifiers.

Build and army calculations are from books you reference.

The Imperial Navy, with an estimated 2.2 million dTons of annual construction needed, has required ships of TL15 standard for most of the past century; it provides maintenance at its naval bases with supplies and equipment ordered from the TL15 worlds. Major sector-wide freight and passenger corporations, with an estimated 178 million total dTons of ships and an annual construction need estimated at 4.45 million dTons, would minimize costs and maximize profits by likewise ordering ships at TL15 standard, the high tech power plants being smaller and less expensive. The obstacle there is maintenance: they would be restricted for all practical purposes to a trade route that consisted of no more than about 12 jumps out from a TL 15 yard and 12 jumps back for maintenance unless they - like the Navy - made their own provisions for the maintenance of their ships in distant ports, importing parts and talent from a TL15 world, and they would most likely do just that. The TL 15 shipyards at Rhylanor, Mora, Trin, and Glisten have an aggregate 40 million dTons of production annually among them at maximum capacity and can provide for both military and commercial needs with ample capacity to spare. The majority of interstellar shipping, therefore, is very likely carried in TL15 ships

However, there are a total of 43 Class-A ports in the Imperial Marches, including such major ports as Porozlo, Fornice, Efate and Jewell. It's not clear what shipyards at such ports would do if the bulk of Marches commerce was carried in TL15 ships and the shipyards themselves were restricted to the local tech level (especially in the case of worlds like Porozlo and Fornice that live in the shadow of a TL15 giant). Most could conduct maintenance and repair on - or even construction of - most systems in a typical ship, but most could not serve TL15 power plants unless parts and supplies were imported and personnel trained to handle them, as with the Navy and sector-wide lines. One could suspend the tech level rule on the argument that the four TL 15 worlds have ample production capacity to export parts to other ports and would gain, rather than lose, if they could sell parts and equipment to distant ports, since their market is otherwise limited to 12 jumps out from them. Personnel from high tech worlds likewise could find it lucrative to shop their skills to distant lower tech worlds, since cost of living differences would mean their salaries buy more than would be the case back home. Alternately, one could bar such export and require ports to draw only on their local world for tech; that is within the purview of nobility and would promote local industry, but limiting freight companies to the major builder in their subsectors would dramatically affect profitability, so there'd be heavy pressure from interstellar business interests to suspend such a requirement and allow the markets to evolve freely.

Putting that aside for the moment, there are 64 Imperial feeder routes served partly by ships in the 200-400 dTon range and 62 Imperial minor routes served only by ships in the 200-400 dTon range, with 26 J1 feeders and 31 J1 minors, the rest being J2 to J4. There are 115 systems not served by any regular route at all, with a quarter to a third having port and population that would justify a regular route with a subsidized liner or a couple of free traders every couple of weeks. This suggests something on the order of 600 to 700 subsidized merchants and as many free traders throughout the Imperial Marches, with about 16 of each being manufactured annually. These ships are of a size that they cannot compete profitably unless constructed by Book-2 rules or at TL15 Book-5 rules. A 30 million credit order for a single small ship could employ more than two thousand workers for most of a year, and there are 8 Imperial A-ports of TL12 and below where such an order would occupy most of their capacity, another three for whom orders of several such ships would do so, providing a useful economic stimulus to worlds of a few hundred thousand to a few million people. For these worlds, there is advantage in either grandfathering the Book-2 small ships or suspending the tech level rule to allow ports to build TL15 ships from imported parts and supplies. The former has greater impact since it stimulates the local economy more effectively on those worlds, and it does not require the sector-wide lines to operate under arbitrary restriction.

What I have, then, is a picture of an Imperial Marches in which the the principle shipping occurs in TL15 ships of 1000 to perhaps 100,000 dTons, said ships constructed at one of the four TL15 ports and then serviced at private proprietary maintenance facilities operated by the companies that own those ships, at one of the other starports along their routes. Meanwhile, there is a fleet of some 600-700 Book-2 free traders built at the smaller low tech A-ports under Imperial loan guarantee programs that make loans available to aspiring merchant captains with sufficient start-up capital, and as many subsidized liners built under an Imperial underwriting program that underwrites coalitions of small worlds or other entities who subsidize the purchase and operation of subsidized merchants - likewise built at the smaller low tech A-ports - by entrepreneurs to promote commerce among the smaller worlds. This small-ship fleet promotes interstellar commerce on worlds whose trade volume would otherwise be too small to attract larger freighters. Meanwhile, the Scout Service similarly promotes the space industries of smaller low-tech worlds - and assures themselves of scout ships that are less expensive while being able to be maintained at most A-ports throughout the Marches - by commissioning the production of Book-2 scouts.

While we sort out the flow i am interested in the ships. Me and my brother talk about this from time to time. Are these major cargo vessel that basically hover over a planet and suck up all their goods and people every year? or are they high jump Jump Tender ships that jump in burn to the highport and take on different cargo ships or other ships needing a lift. I like the tender ships because it allows for less jump capable ships to move between routes or move faster if they have the credits. A j-4 Jump Tender could care 100,000 tons of ships or 500 free traders. or 10 massive liners/cargo shipd

Back