• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The next sector book?

Flynn

SOC-14 1K
What Traveller sector or sector(s) would you want to see developed into a book for release? What era or eras would you want it to cover?

Personally, we've already seen a significant number of sectors in one format or another over the lifetime of Traveller's development. I really like the approach QLI has taken in describing four-sector domains/regions (first with the Gateway Domain Sourcebook, and later in the TNE 1248 Sourcebook still in playtest) in a two by two arrangement.

I'd like to see some work done perhaps on detailing some of the other Imperial domains:

SYLEA: Core, Delphi, Fornast, Massilia

ANTARES: Antares, Lishun, Mendan, Meshan

ILELISH: Daibei, Ilelish, Reaver's Deep, Zarushagar

SOL: Alpha Crucis, Diaspora, Old Expanses, Solomani Rim

VLAND: Corridor, Dagudashaag, Gushemege, Vland

DENEB: Deneb, Reft, Spinward Marches, Trojan Reach

We've really seen a lot of work done in the Deneb Domain, moreso than any other Domain until QLI did the Gateway Domain Sourcebook.

Sol's Solomani Rim has been done repeatedly, but the other sectors could use some exposure. ;)

Of them all, I imagine that the Antares Domain would perhaps be the best playground to explore in a new sector/domain book. It's place in the OTU outside of some MT faction work is pretty much open.

Of course, maybe the next region of space to be developed for Traveller should be outside of Imperial space, such as the client worlds regions between the Zhodani Consulate and the Aslan Hierate.

I don't know, but I thought it'd make an interesting topic. (In case you can't tell, I'm bored at work, so am coming up with some discussion fodder.)

What do you think?

-Flynn

ANTARES: Antares, Lishun, Mendan, Meshan

Done in the late Rebellion Era dealing with the return of the Yileans to the interstellar stage i.e. the setting for T5.

As a sourcebook for T20 giving the background for what would become MegaTraveller.

Done in the time of the height of the First Imperium, just prior to First Contact with the Terrans...so as an Interstellar Wars sourcebook.

SYLEA: Core, Delphi, Fornast, Massilia

All of the above done for QLI TNE:1248 setting.

Like what I've seen in play test, but curious about space around the 4th Imperium

I'd be happy with some thing done like the AotI which I can then flesh out.

I'd vote for anything that doesn't involve the Solomani Rim or the Marches. They've been done to death, IMO.

An alien sector book would be interesting - something set entirely in Zhodani or Aslan or Vargr space? The Antares sector, or somewhere thereabouts, possibly to coreward/trailing of it, sounds like it could be interesting.

I'm not sure of the sectors from memory without checking a map but I'd like to see details of the border area between the Aslan / Solomani / Imperium and the rimward end of the claw. A meeting place of three great culture's though I'd really like for it to cover multiple time periods too say 990's / 1100's and 1200 or 1248ish. Lets people play either CT MT or TNE or T20 in the area.

Do them in 990 (T20) or 1100 (CT/Gurps) but leave out the Rebellion/TNE data. If you want, you can degrade them for your campaign, but people I know don't play that timeline, and you'd get more mileage out of the common time between the two timelines.

I'd like Antares...just don't forget that little spur off in the Empty Quarter...Core suffers from having Fornast and Delphi declaired Ref Preserves (but I have thought about writing a Core sourcebook itself).
The other guy mentioned a frontier book between the Aslan, Sollies, and 3I...
Reaver's Deep, Dark Nebula, Daibei, and Magyar...
That would be cool. It would be nice to see the Keith Bro's work inshrined in permanent canon.
But I'd like to see a build off of Gateway...
Hinterworlds, Leonidae, Spica, and Phlask make a quad, although I've been working on an L - Luretiir'gir, Kaa G!'kul, Extolian, and Leonidae (I've only completed 2 out of 4...well, me and Leroy...I've plotted out the systems for the 2 sectors trailing of Gateway, but there is a lot of work, and well...)
My copy of Leonidae (the sector immediate rimward of Crucis) made it on the web:
http://zho.berka.com/data/CLASSIC/sector.pl?sector=LEONIDAE
but I haven't posted it here yet...I think it needs some work still...too many worlds that are a part of an interstellar state...maybe some feedback?
I realize we are talking about more than just a map, but Gateway started with the maps...

-MADDog

I'd like to see the area between Gateway Domain and the Solomani Rim developed, for the same time period. I would like some more detail on the Rim War.

I'd like to see the sectors rimward of the Solomani for the Gateway/Classic era.

A few human colonies, a smattering of aliens, and plenty of room to explore and develop small pocket empires ;)

personally , i can't anticipate needing more than four sectors to play in . in fact i'm still happy in the marches ,which i know quite well , and the rim , which i feel i've hardly scratched .
gateway seems a great idea with a new 993 era . lets just get more and more detail there rather than new domains .

Originally posted by MADDog:
Do them in 990 (T20) or 1100 (CT/Gurps) but leave out the Rebellion/TNE data. If you want, you can degrade them for your campaign, but people I know don't play that timeline, and you'd get more mileage out of the common time between the two timelines.

The other guy mentioned a frontier book between the Aslan, Sollies, and 3I...
Reaver's Deep, Dark Nebula, Daibei, and Magyar...
That would be cool. It would be nice to see the Keith Bro's work inshrined in permanent canon.

-MADDog
I have to disagree with you MADdog. Ok maybe "you" don't play circa 1200 or 1248 but people do, just go down to the TNE pages right here. It gets regular hits. Plus QLI is soon to be bringing out Bearers of the Flame the 1248 sourcebook which I imagine has quite a few subscribers allready and I expect and hope QLI will support it as ferverently as they are supporting Gateway circa 993

Yeah that other guy was me, thanks for listing the sectors. I found a map and checked them, just not before, or as, I posted. From what I know/have of the cannon material this region hasn't been exstensively covered (I don't have Rats & Cats)The Spinward Marches has been done alot, so too Solomani Rim, I'm assuming Gateway will be/is being exstensivly covered and from what I hear 1248 BotF will cover some core sectors. So, my point is that Spinward Marches is one of the most heavily played campaign settings due (my opinion) to it being the meeting point of Three great cultures (plus some) Imperials, Vargr and Zodani. My suggested location also has Three great cultures adjoining each other with some unclaimed space in the vacinity too (Magyar???)

Couldn't it be as successfull as the Spinward Marches given support?

Edit; and If you're going to give it support why not give it "FULL" support and tap into "ALL" of your Traveller playing and paying market? Honestly if you're doing a sourcebook how hard is it to put three or more sets of stats anywhere where you have to put atleast one set?

The CORE Sectors, absolutely!

The CORE SECTORS only in the 1248 Milieu. The things that lurk behind the Black Curtain would be might scary...

Quote: I'd like to see the sectors rimward of the Solomani for the Gateway/Classic era.
A few human colonies, a smattering of aliens, and plenty of room to explore and develop small pocket empires."

That's my goal. I started developing Neworld Sector and Hadaji, but haven't continued on that project as of late. Perhaps we could work on it together Sigg Oddra?

I know Jon Zeigler was hoping to get an Aldebaran sector book (rimward of the Solomani Rim, IIRC) done for GURPS Traveller, but I don't know what's happening with that anymore - last I heard, it got sidetracked for the IW book.

Originally posted by Badbru:

I have to disagree with you MADdog. Ok maybe "you" don't play circa 1200 or 1248 but people do, just go down to the TNE pages right here. It gets regular hits. Plus QLI is soon to be bringing out Bearers of the Flame the 1248 sourcebook which I imagine has quite a few subscribers allready and I expect and hope QLI will support it as ferverently as they are supporting Gateway circa 993
Um, yeah...I'm one of the playtesters for 1248...
I've stated my distaste for TNE in numerous forums, so I won't go into it again...My point is that if you devo exclusively for TNE, you shut out 4/5ths of the market for Traveller...seems foolish, when it is so unbelievably easy to downgrade existing sector data to fit the TNE timeline, but all but impossible to restore TNE data to be usable by the vast majority of Trav players...

And...
If developing rimward is your goal, you should look up Baron von Greylord...
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bvg39/
he plays there alot...I had the background data for the Rimward expansion from HIWG, but I chose to develop the Extents instead...
oh well.
-MADDog

Personally, if a sector is going to be developed for multiple Eras, I think there's plenty of room in the appendices for numerous versions of the UWPs, and I'd love to see a chapter on the state of the sector in each era, just to make it easier to use for multiple versions of the game. The eras that might be worth developing are:

Interstellar Wars (maybe)
Milieu Zero
Gateway Era/Milieu 1000
Classic Era or Early Rebellion Era/~1105 to 1115
Milieu 1200 (TNE)
Milieu 1248 (TNE 1248)

At the very minimum, I'd personally like to see M1115 and M1248 era stats. However, like any Traveller fan, I'll be happy with any one of them, actually.

Just throwing some more thoughts into the mix,
Flynn

Originally posted by MADDog:

[/qb]
Um, yeah...I'm one of the playtesters for 1248...
I've stated my distaste for TNE in numerous forums, so I won't go into it again...My point is that if you devo exclusively for TNE, you shut out 4/5ths of the market for Traveller...seems foolish, when it is so unbelievably easy to downgrade existing sector data to fit the TNE timeline, but all but impossible to restore TNE data to be usable by the vast majority of Trav players...

First off, I don't think any of my posts, on this thread atleast, support developing exclusively for TNE. Far from it. I prefer development of products that don't exclude anyone hence my request for multiple versions of atleast stats in any product, so as to be easily accessible to the greatest Traveller market.
Second, sure it may be easy to convert stats for use in a TNE era, and probably is easier than going the other way, but why should I have to? Your attitude, as I'm getting it, seems to say that because you have a self confessed distaste for TNE and that it's not the most popular version of Traveller it should therefore be excluded from future products or product development. That doesn't seem fair to me (if I'm right)nor does it seem to fit with QLI's product line wrt Bearer's of the Flame and other 1248 products. I'm sorry if I'm seeming a bit defensive but I've been seeing alot of anti TNE stuff lately and it's bugging me.

Quite. Personally I think the more work is done in the book and the less the GM has to do the better.

Ideally I'd like to see stats for all the milieu in a sector book, unless the book is written for a specific era. The fact that there is a TNE:1248 book on the way means that I see it as a very sensible idea to include post-collapse UWPs and timeline to use with that - this way, fans of the Gateway Era and TNE can get use out of the book and QLI can make more sales.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
I know Jon Zeigler was hoping to get an Aldebaran sector book (rimward of the Solomani Rim, IIRC) done for GURPS Traveller, but I don't know what's happening with that anymore - last I heard, it got sidetracked for the IW book.
*dah bump*

I sent him a PM on the SJG boards a few weeks ago and he said he'd still be interested in doing it. But didn't have any set deadline. I doubt it would be for the Gurps Traveller ruleset since it doesn't seem anything more is coming for for GT.

Mike

Back