• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Scout Project

I see both doing the same job, but the Lifters being more high tech. Also i imagine that the lifters will need power all the time so you would have to leave your power plant running all the time, not an issue for most people, but a scout might want to turn the thing off every so often to conserve power while on a world or to hide his ship. Legs would then be the better option.

I read somewhere that lifters can only do limited movement and then only for spaceport maneuvers things like moving from one area to the next. So they would be required on ships making regular stops at spaceports like a commercial trader or liner, but the scout wouldn't need to move around that much.

Anyway i choose legs for the look, all my ships i design have lifters, especially when they have no real budget concerns or are for the military. They just make more sense than legs.

While Lifters are Hull Fittings I think they are almost more like engines. I don't imagine anyone would leave a ship just floating on lifters.

Legs on the other hand I assume can't move you around. They are basically just an improvement over Skids because they distribute the weight more and because the legs can adjust to uneven surfaces. At least that's my reading on it.

So while they are both fittings it is sort of like Wings and a Submergence Hull. They do very different things and the fact that you have one has very little impact as to whether you would have the other (well, except for the fact that it seems like there's some kind of implication that if you aren't using lifters then you are gliding in, which would make skids or legs a bad idea).

But then that's what I'm reading into things. Maybe I'm completely off base. Part of the reason I started up the Scout Project was so other people might say 'you're missing this' or 'you're not understanding this correctly'.

Why aren't you using the maneuver drives to get down onto the surface. Lifters only have limited movement, this is from the errata 0.7:-

p. 334, 06 Hull Fittings, E Starship Hull Fittings, Lifters (clarification): Lifters are intended as slow functioning landing/takeoff fittings. They are not intended for high speed movement, including fine-grained maneuvers while traveling nap-of-earth style above a world’s surface.

So my take would be that you can use your maneuver drives to get down and even move your ship around a starport, but lifters can do it with less effort.

Sorry about not posting any more variants. I've been talking with people and we've been combing over the rules and going over the deck plans for the base scout. Apparently the attic and the forward sensor array areas on the original Supplement 7 Scout are considerably smaller than I initially calculated due to the wedge shape of the ship. This frees up space for the main deck but is going to require that I go back and rewrite some of the details. The attic probably wouldn't normally be used as an alternative route to engineering or the gunnery turret since you would have to crawl through the forward sensor array area and crouch down through a good part of the attic (which is a problem for the Seeker, but that's ok because I've got some new ideas for it).

It appears that the submergence hull is also going to disappear as the main reason for it was because of the images of Scout/Couriers floating in large bodies of water. It turns out that 'cannot benefit from' in the case of a flotation hull means that the configuration automatically gains the benefit and it doesn't need to be added (which is how it differs from 'No').

Anyway, hopefully I'll have a new base Scout/Courier to post soon along with the Vagabond, a retired Scout/Courier used by a merchant who isn't rich enough to afford a real merchant ship.

Updated Scout/Courier

So with a lot of help I've been going over my original deck plans and the deck plans for the Scout/Courier in Supplement 7. A lot of my initial estimates for space used by the Supplement 7 Scout were off because of the angled ceilings. In a few cases volumes still came out a bit odd which resulted in the aft section of the upper sensor array being pushed back. It also appears that the Scout/Courier does not need a submergence hull as an airframe hull is automatically capable of functioning as a flotation hull. I also went ahead and folded the space used by passageways into staterooms (as is traditional) in the summary and combined the attic and forward cargo holds for the three tons of storage attributed to the Scout/Courier.

Revised Scout/Courier

Built upon a decommissioned Scout/Courier the Vagabond is a common sight among systems on the frontier as well as the more backwater systems of the Imperium. A style of modification rather than a specific modification Vagabonds will have a fair amount of variation although the example given below is typical.

To create more space for cargo the original engines and power plant of the Scout/Courier are removed and replaced with more compact and less expensive specialized versions, although the majority of its increased cargo capacity come from two twenty ton pods which are connected to the upper hull. The pods result in a loss of the Scout/Courier's streamlining and lifting body characteristics but for most merchants these are acceptable losses in light of the improved storage capabilities.

Cargo capacity is further increased by the removal of the ship's air/raft which is held by a bracket underneath the nose of the ship. Because there is no expectation of wilderness refuellings the fuel bin is removed and replaced with a fuel pump. This combined with two grapples allows the Vagabond to mount two ten ton drop tanks, one beneath each wing, giving the Vagabond an extra 18 tons of fuel and the capability of making a second jump.

The Scout/Courier's fuel scoops, intake, an purifier remain so that the owner is capable of making use of unrefined fuel as well as extracting fuel from nearby gas giants and bodies of water.

1. Avionics: Located behind a maintenance plate in the bridge this section of the ship contains the Model/1bis computer. Interior access to the radar, communications, and scope systems is also granted through the avionics area. While access of the area can be done through the maintenance plate under normal conditions the area is usually accessed through a hatch in the floor. Because the ceiling and floor slope towards the nose with a final height of less than 1.5 meters this area only holds a single ton of displacement.
  2. Bridge: Very little modifications are made to the bridge. While there is no longer a sensor operator the second seat is still often used as a copilot's seat.
  3. Walkway: Simply a walkway connecting the bridge and staterooms with the common lounge. A hatch in the floor grants access to the lower cargo (15)
  4. Stateroom
  5. Stateroom
  6. Stateroom
  7. Stateroom
  8. Common Lounge: This room is where the crew meets for communal meals as well as to relax and unwind. A hatch in the roof leads to what use to be the upper sensor array but which is now the primary cargo hold (16).
  9. Common Fresher: The Vagabond retains the common fresher of the Scout/Courier in most cases although it is not uncommon to find ones with shared freshers between the staterooms, especially the owner's stateroom.
  10. Airlock: The starboard cargo pod blocks access to the ship's dorsal section although the lower capabilities remain intact.
  11. Ship's Locker
  12. Auxiliary Cargo Holds: The lab/clinic and air/raft storage areas of the Vagabond are converted into two areas each capable of storing 9 tons of cargo, though the oddly shaped area can make it difficult to fully utilize the space. Of note are two areas that exist in hold. The first are the areas which store the Vagabond's landing legs (a). The wells each stand 1m tall and usually have additional cargo stored on top of them. The second areas are the cargo hatches (b) which allow cargo to be lowered in from the primary cargo hold overhead.
  13. Engineering: Nearly the entirety of the jump drives, maneuver drive, power plant and life support have been moved into this area. It also retains the control console for the engineer.
  14. Lower Engineering: While nearly all of lower engineering has been removed to make room for fuel (allowing more room on the floor above for cargo storage) there simply isn't enough space in upper engineering for all the machinery.
  15. Lower Cargo Hold: The lower cargo hold is used for crew storage rather than the shipping of freight and cargo.
  16. Primary Cargo Hold: Composed of two twenty ton pods and the small area previously used by the upper sensor array the primary cargo hold is capable of storing up to forty two tons of cargo and freight. The ceiling in general is on the low side with only a 2.25m clearance but in the area of the old sensor array the height drops to only 30cm at the fore to 1.8m aft. The roofs of each pod are split down the middle and hinged, allowing each pod to be completely opened for loading and unloading. Cargo hatches in the aft of each pod allow access to the auxiliary cargo holds bringing the total commercial cargo capacity of the Vagabond to sixty tons.
  17. Upper Cargo Hold: This two ton storage area retains its use as a general storage area for equipment such as tool kits, spare vacc suits, or parts for repairs.
  18. Gunnery: While many Vagabond ships are unarmed some do carry a selection of weapons used for defense. One of the most popular is the S-L-M hybrid turret, or 'Slam' as it is commonly referred to for its capabilities of providing both sand as defense against energy weapons and a beam laser for point defense while its missile system can be used to provide the distraction that might be needed to allow the Vagabond to escape.
Code:
   Tons    TL  Item                                   Cost    Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------
               100 ton Shell Lifting Body             16.0    
               20 ton unstreamlined pod                0.8    
               20 ton unstreamlined pod                0.8    
    1.0     8  Landing Legs with Pads                  1.0    
            8  Lifters                                 1.0    
               Jump Plates                             0.14    
    1.0    11  Mod Maneuver Drive-A                    2.0    2G
    5.0    13  Mod Jump Drive-A                        5.0    Jump-2
    2.0    11  Mod Power Plant-A                       2.0    2
    1.0     8  Fuel Scoops                             0.1    Intakes 200 tons / hour
    1.0     8  Fuel Intake                             0.1    Intakes 40 tons / hour
    1.0     8  Fuel Purifier                           1.0    Purifies 4 tons / hour
    1.0    10  Transfer Pump                           1.0    Moves 200 tons for jump
   20.0        Fuel                                            
    1.0     9  Std 1 bis Computer                      3.0    
    4.0     2  control consoles                        0.4    
    4.0     2  operating consoles                      0.2    
    1.0        Standard Life Support (10 people)       1.0    
    0.0    10  Imp AR Surf Scope                       1.5    
    0.0    10  Imp AR Surf Radar                       1.5    
    0.0    10  Imp LR Surf Communicator                4.5    
    1.0     0  Std T2 Empty                            0.5    
   16.0     4  Standard Staterooms                     0.4    1 passenger. No fresher.
    1.0     1  Common Fresher                          1.0    Shared by 10 passengers.
   11.0     1  Common Area                                    For movement and recreation.
    3.0     1  Basic Cargo Hold                                
   18.0     2  Basic Cargo Holds                               
   42.0     2  Basic Cargo Holds                               
    2.0     9  2 Grapples                              2.0    
    2.0     9  4 Connectors                            4.0    
    1.0     7  1 Exterior Air/Raft Bracket             1.06    
  140.0        Total                                   52.0  

Tons    TL  Item                                   Cost    Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------
               10 ton unstreamlined pod                0.5    
    1.0     9  Grapple                                 1.0    
    9.0        Fuel                                           
   10.0        Total                                   1.5

T5 Vagabond

Thanks.

The cost of grapples on the drop tanks is causing me to wonder about the viability of companies that rent drop tanks because spending 3 MCr just to make an extra jump seems horribly expensive (though I suppose it isn't something you would often need to do).

Working on the update for the Seeker has made me realize that the droptank grapples could be replaced with cradles. Slightly more expensive but it would prevent the need for grapples on the drop tanks.

Built on the body of a surplus Scout/Courier the Seeker/Prospector is more a style of ship than any particular design. Each ship is modified by its new owners in whatever fashion they think will best fulfill the new functions of the ship. Even with that caveat the 'Seeker/Prospector' is one of the most commonly seen ships used by independent prospectors.

In the case of this particular design the changes that have been made are fairly common. The size of the staterooms are reduced and fuel tankage is lowered by 10 tons to create more cargo space for the storage of ore. This lowers the range of the Seeker/Prospector to only Jump-1 unless external fuel tanks are added.

Since the ship will be used almost exclusively in asteroid belts the systems of pumps and hose attachments used to siphon liquid water have been removed and replaced with transfer pumps. Because of the potential availability of gas giants and the economic savings of unrefined fuel the fuel scoops and purification systems remain intact.

Unlike the Scout/Courier the Seeker/Prospector makes extensive use of external pods. Two cradles, one above each wing, are added that allow the attachment of a pair of cheap 10 ton pods. While the cradles themselves are more expensive than grapples they eliminate the need for reciprocal grapples in the pods. With a pair of these pods a Seeker/Prospector is capable of making a Jump-2 followed by a second Jump-1. Alternately the Seeker/Prospector's ore capacity can be extended from its rather modest 17.5 tons to 37.5 tons.

The Seeker/Prospector also mounts a trio of grapples on its ventral side which are capable of carrying up to another 105 tons. More successful independent prospectors will use these grapples to mount large cargo units, portable refineries and bases, or even independent mining spaceships. The use of such units can be tricky, however, as they will often interfere with the use of the Seeker/Prospector's landing legs precluding its ability to land on uneven surfaces (the units are usually reinforced with skids on their bottoms so that the Prospector/Seeker can be landed directly upon them).

One peculiarity of the design is that while the Scout/Courier incorporates jump plates these will frequently be disabled and a jump bubble generator installed. This design eliminates the need for additional jump plates to be installed in any of the external pods though more than a few miners have found themselves facing unintended consequences from operating a jump bubble within an asteroid belt.
  1. Avionics: Located behind a maintenance plate in the bridge this section of the ship contains the Model/1bis computer and the antenna for the radar.
  2. Bridge: Designed only for a single pilot the rear bulkhead of the standard scout ship has been moved forward creating more room for cargo.
  3. Hallway
  4. Stateroom
  5. Stateroom
  6. Stateroom
  7. Stateroom
  8. Shared fresher
  9. Port Cargo Bay: To maximize the cargo area for hauling ore the staterooms of the original Scout/Courier have been reduced in size and the common area has been removed. Along with some of the space saved by reducing the fuel capacity of the ship the area has been converted into a pair of ore bays. Set in the floor at the aft of each bay are large 4m x 6.5m doors for the loading and unloading of ore.
  10. Starboard Cargo Bay: Nearly identical to the port cargo bay the starboard bay has one difference. Set in the ceiling of the bay is an iris valves, the remnant of the Scout/Courier's primary airlock.
  11. Assay/Clinic: The lab in this case has been modified to concentrate almost entirely upon geology and mineralogy allowing trained miners to conduct initial assays and inspections of ore. The area also functions as a clinic in times of emergency. With the creation of the Seeker's cargo bays access to the original airlock would be problematic so a new airlock (a) and ship's locker (b) were added to the area.
  12. Mining Buggy Berth: As on and unmodified Scout/Courier this is little more than a niche in the hull with large door set in the outer bulkhead.
  13. Engineering: One of the least modified areas of the ship other than the lower and upper cargo bays engineering shows almost none of the extreme changes made to the ship.
  14. Lower Engineering
  15. Lower Cargo Hold: Completely unmodified from the initial designs of the Scout/Courier the lower cargo hold even retains the same basic function. It is the area of the ship where crew store personal items which are not being stored in their staterooms.
  16. Radar Antenna: The existing mountings for the Scout/Courier's old sensor gear make this an excellent location for the installation of the antenna of the Seeker/Prospector's much more powerful antenna. Filling the area the radar is capable of tracking asteroids nearly anywhere within the system. Access to the control panels for the surface mounted deep radar which is used to examine asteroids once they are close enough is also granted through this area. On other ships the deep radar may be swapped out for a densiometer or other sensor package depending upon what the prospector feels will work best.
  17. Upper Cargo Hold: With the need for a location to store tools such as vacc suits, portable drills and claim marker beacons this area is often left unmodified and is used for its original storage purposes rather than being used for the additional storage of ore.
  18. Gunnery: This location is refitted to provide controls for the Seeker's mining laser turret, mounted in the turret just above. Although the lasers are not technically weapons and are designed for industrial use the term 'Gunnery Position' is still often applied to the area. On two-man teams the second miner will often run sensor operations from this position as well.
Code:
"'   Tons    TL  Item                                   Cost    Notes
'-------------------------------------------------------------------"
'               100 ton Shell Lifting Body             16.0    
'    1.0     8  Landing Legs with Pads                  1.0    
'            8  Lifters                                 1.0    
'               Jump Plates                             0.1    
'    2.0     9  Maneuver Drive-A                        4.0    2G
'   10.0    11  Jump Drive-A                           10.0    Jump-2
'    4.0     9  Power Plant-A                           4.0    
'    1.0     8  Fuel Scoops                             0.1    Intakes 200 tons / hour
'    1.0     8  Fuel Bin                                0.1    Intakes 20 tons / hour
'    1.0     8  Fuel Purifier                           1.0    Purifies 4 tons / hour

'   12.0        Fuel                                            
'    1.0     9  Std 1 bis Computer                      3.0    
'    4.0        2 control consoles                      0.4    
'    2.0        1 operating console                     0.1    
'    1.0        Standard Life Support (10 people)       1.0    
'    0.0    10  Imp AR Surf Scope                       1.5    
'    0.0    10  Imp AR Surf Radar                       1.5    
'    0.0    10  Imp LR Surf Communicator                4.5    
'    0.0    10  Std Or Surf Deep Radar                  1.8    
'    3.0    11  Std DS Ant Radar                        7.5    
'    1.0    11  Adv Vd T2 Mining Laser                  1.0    
'   16.5        4 Standard Staterooms                   0.4    1 passenger. No fresher.
'    1.0        Common Fresher                          1.0    Shared by 10 passengers.
'    3.0        Basic Cargo Holds                       00.0    
'    5.0        Assay/Clinic                            1.0    
'    6.0        Mining Buggy Hold                       0.06    
'   17.5        Ore Holds                               00.0    
'    0.5        Air Lock                                0.1    
'    0.5        Ship's Locker                           00.0    
'    3.0        3 Grapples                              3.0    
'    2.0        2 Brackets                              2.0    
'  100.0        Total                                  70.1

T5 Seeker/Prospector

Back