• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Traveller Book cover art

Bigger than 17" might make it tough to get it printed.
There are a lot of large format printers that can print things of arbitrary size. Your local Fedex Office will likely be able to print something that size. They print on rolled paper, so, what, up to 4 feet wide and 30, 40, 50 feet long? However long the roll is?

There are a lot of large format printers that can print things of arbitrary size. Your local Fedex Office will likely be able to print something that size. They print on rolled paper, so, what, up to 4 feet wide and 30, 40, 50 feet long? However long the roll is?
and I have a tabloid printer that can print up to 19x13 and it was all of $200. but yes, a print shop can do an awful lot. oddly enough, the company I work for does on-demand printing, and I found they do posters up to 2x3'. I need to see about putting MTU map on a poster - employee cost is $17 and if I printed in the aforementioned printer, it would probably cost me $10 in ink for a tabloid-sized version!

So, I tried to make the spine closer to the original. I bought a graphic arts ruler and determined that the book title is 36 pt and Marc Miller's name is 14 pt.

The GDW uses the font ITC Korinna and the 201 uses the font Optima. They are both 14 point.

So, I used this new-found information and came up with something that looks much closer to the actual spine:

LhCFbda.jpg

This is designed to fit the POD (or at least will be. I still need to tweak measurements), so it's taller than the one for the original book. And the spine artwork was done by a friend using Photoshop's gradient fill tool, so I doubt it matches the original art. But it's good enough for this replica.

The alternative is to not have a dust jacket, or to keep the one that's falling apart on your old copy.

He may not have the painting any more. But he may have a picture or a scan of it.
There's also the issue of whether or not his reproduction rights allow making it a separate sale item, and allow it to be in PDF. THat said, the CD-ROM version has the color cover, but not the black with red line cover.
It will be taller than 11" and wider than 17". You will need to print this some place that can print posters.

The thing will probably be 26 inches wide.
The original was same height as the cover, no top/bottom foldover, and would be about 2×8½+2×2½+¾ so about 23-26" long. My dust jacket long-ago disappeared.

There's also the issue of whether or not his reproduction rights allow making it a separate sale item, and allow it to be in PDF. THat said, the CD-ROM version has the color cover, but not the black with red line cover.

The original was same height as the cover, no top/bottom foldover, and would be about 2×8½+2×2½+¾ so about 23-26" long. My dust jacket long-ago disappeared.
And for a new dust jacket for the original, it will be exactly 11" tall, because that's the height of the original dust jacket. But the POD book is slightly taller, so the just jacket will need to be taller.

Since my friend lent me that original book with the original dust jacket (pretty beat up, though), I could take exact measurements. For the POD, I can only measure the book and take a "best guess" of what the dust jacket size should be. I based my measurements on the original dust jacket, and just added the extra height and double the extra width of the book. Hopefully that will be a good fit.

Getting one of these printed is going to cost between $20-$30, so I really want to get it right on the first print. For $30, I could buy an RPG book off of Amazon.

I think you should move Marc Miller's name down into the darker area more.

I personally like the version where his name is white. It's white in the last links I posted.

But, it would still look good blue.

Back