• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Universal Game Mechanic and MegaTraveller

Originally posted by Aramis:
That would be a minor loss for the community as a whole; no major loss for me, either.
Wil, out of everyone I've come across on this forum, you are the only person who truly irritates me.

I don't have the slightest bit of irritation towards ANYONE else, and that includes the couple of people who disagree with my discussing of UGM on this forum or have a criticism of UGM.

Why is that?

It's probably because you stick your nose into just about each and every thread you can find and pontificate about THE LAW and HOW THINGS SHOULD BE! You know EVERYTHING!

Maybe I should bow down and think myself blessed that I can read your words.

I'm not irritated with any of the three or four people who have criticised UGM most likely because I respect those people and their comments. I know that we can agree to disagree.

And, the plain fact is, I don't have an ounce of respect in me for what you have to say.

It takes a lot to get "there" in my world. I'm typically pretty easy going. But, you made it, bud. You made it. You made it due to your interactions not only with me but with others I've seen you reply to.

Yes, I could start going into detail with you about how UGM could be used with MT. I could follow up on your points.

But, I'm just not going to do that.

If there were a forum blocker where I could block your posts from sight like there is in e-mail and newsgroups, I would use it.

If I responded to your MT points above, I'd respond with UGM fact and more than likely some probability numbers to back up what I'm saying. I'd probably ask you a point blank, closed-ended, yes-or-no question like I've done in the past...

...and you would just fill up pages and pages crap that attempts to diverts the issue.

So, I'm done with you, Wil.

I think the best thing for both of us to do is to completely stop interacting with one another.

I'll ignore your posts and refrain from replying to you.

It's best if you do the same of mine.

Hopefully, we can agree on that.

Originally posted by Border Reiver:
Careful now Ken, UGM didn't have difficulty levels until a later edit, if I'm not mistaken.
UGM has had difficulty levels from post number one.

I mean, what kind of a task system would have a single roll for everything?

What you're probably remembering is that UGM was posted originally as an unfinished system. We discussed it. Then I did some work on it. And the final result was listed in the UGM revised thread.

Ken,

Whatever. (And while I do not mean to offend or sound dismissive, but it is obvious that you will not accept what I have to say, so I'm done saying it. You keep side-trekking my comments, instead of addressing them.) I am not the one you have to prove yourself to. I've already accepted you for the way that you are, and for your stated intentions. I'm okay with you arguing your points, because I understand that this is how you are. I was asking for you to acknowledge that you are doing more than just presenting your system, and you won't do that. Your choice.

Keep On Travellin',
Flynn

I unfortunately will have to agree with Flynn here, I am now suspending all participation on task discussions. it is getting a bit heavy for a COTI without moderators.

Originally posted by Flynn:
You keep side-trekking my comments, instead of addressing them
What am I side tracking? I'm not trying to side-track anything.

You acted as if I was being defensive about you preferring DGP/MT over UGM. I'm not. Use whatever blows your hair back--it makes no difference to me.

As for having an alterior motive for posting on UGM, that's absolutely false.

I mean, UGM is a good system. I wanted to spread the word. Some people have picked it up for their games, and they're running with it.

That's great. I'm glad I could contribute.

The volume of posts on the UGM have been high because people are interested in it.

Also, when there is disagreement about a topic, that tends to push volume up as well--and, as you know, there has been some disagreement about UGM.

I tend to write multiple posts on a topic instead of very long ones because I think they're easier to read that way.

The number of threads that have addressed my task systems are five:

(1) CTI thread - where I introduced CTI.

(2) UGM thread - where the UGM was a seed of an idea and was discussed.

(3) UGM vs CTI vs MT - different topic comparing those two systems above to MT. Since it concerned both task systems, I felt it needed its own thread.

(4) UGM revised thread - where the "official" UGM is introduced. This made the finished version of UGM more visible--I felt it was a courtesy to people interested in UGM so that they would have to dig through pages and pages of not-quite-right UGM to find what they needed to use UGM in their games.

(5) UGM MT thread - putting UGM out there for MT players to use if they are so inclined (this thread). As I stated before, all of UGM has been contained in the CT forums, and since UGM is 100% compatible with MT, I posted here to let MT players be aware.

Those five are the only task system threads I've posted.

Employee 2-4601, a UGM user, started a Task Library thread for UGM. Great. Good job, Emp!

And, there is a joke thread that I posted called "The FASTEST Classic Traveller Task System You'll Ever SEE!". That's just a dead idea I had that was made into a thread of its own after Sig suggested it be its own thread--I had originally posted it in the thread of another subject.

-----------------------------------------------

Good gawd, why is this bothering you so much?

It's some freakin' task system threads. It's people discussing Traveller. If you're not interested in them, then just ignore them.

I mean, I wouldn't make them, but what would it matter if there were 20 threads about the different aspects of UGM?

If you're not interested in them, then how hard is it to look elsewhere on the boards?

What is so irriatating about people discussing the UGM in these five threads?

Trust me, they will die out soon, I assure you.

Originally posted by Flynn:
You keep side-trekking my comments, instead of addressing them
BTW, if you wish me to address something specifically that I didn't just address above, then ask me straight out.

I'll answer you.

Well, Ken, if you don't like my comments, that's fine. But if you continue to post here, expect to see them.

You still haven't addressed the three relevant concerns.

You've been dodging Flynn's and my questions in this thread, instead taking potshots.

I dont mind you being snotty to me - having been in near exile for a year and after making two or three posts again I realise why I went away.

I was responding to your initial post on this topic, rather than the link: sorry I play a game that works fine and just dont have time to read endless discussions on the CT board.

Anyway, I apologise if I misunderstood your system, but then you gave a misleading summary and a huge undigested link, so maybe be a bit clearer as to what your system is if you want people to read it.

Anyway back into exile coz life is too short.

Reminds me of detail killing RPG system discussions 20 years ago...

WJP, I guess there are just quite a few experienced referees around here, which run their games without the need for rule supported detail managing
Many good things You presented with the UGM are simply done "by heart", automatically.

There is a level of detail nobody really cares of. Especially, if you prefer a story centric RPG style.
Taking a "modern/young" system like Fudge, it might be interesting to notice the similarities to MT. Missing details, fudge it

regards,

Mert

Originally posted by Elliot:
I dont mind you being snotty to me - having been in near exile for a year and after making two or three posts again I realise why I went away.
We're cool, bro. Don't sweat it.

I was responding to your initial post on this topic, rather than the link: sorry I play a game that works fine and just dont have time to read endless discussions on the CT board.
See...YOU'RE the exact reason I posted this here. Not all people know about the UGM. I was just getting the word out--and you're living proof that there are people out there, like me, who tend to focus on one area of these boards and not read everything.

Anyway, I apologise if I misunderstood your system, but then you gave a misleading summary and a huge undigested link, so maybe be a bit clearer as to what your system is if you want people to read it.
Like I said, don't worry about it. No harm done.

Pleased to meet you, Elliot.

Click on the links I provided in the first post in this thread to learn more about UGM. But, I can quickly give you the basics here--

TASK THROW

2D +mods for 8+

All tasks succeed if the task totals 8+.

The "mods" part includes a character's skill level, a mod for difficulty for the task, and any other typical mods that apply during a game.

DIFFICULTY

+4DM.....Easy tasks
+2DM.....Routine tasks
+0DM.....Standard tasks
-2DM.....Difficult tasks
-4DM.....Challenging tasks
-6DM.....Formidable tasks
-8DM.....Insane tasks
-10DM....Impossible tasks

What UGM will do for you in your game is (1) provide this easy game mechanic as detailed above; (2) provide a different benefit for each level of characteristic used to govern the task (unlike the MT/DGP system that--you get differintation between stats); (3) eliminates the need for division (no more Stat/5 stuff); and easily fits into a CT or MT (or even T4) game without changing the rest of the game--the UGM is plug-n-play.

So, the UGM provides a lot of benefit over the standard DGP/MT system, or any of the MT tweaks, and it provides them in an easy-to-use, easy-to-understand, easy-to-implement game mechanic.

If you click on the links I provided in the first post, you'll see how the Stat issue is addressed and how things like Spectacular Success or Failure is implemented.

Originally posted by TheEngineer:
There is a level of detail nobody really cares of.
Hey Mert,

Actually, a lot of people are using UGM, myself included.

I actually wrote two task systems recently. One of them provides even more detail than UGM does (I'm referring to CTI), and I actually ended up going with the one that I felt was easier to use.

I do respect your sentiment. You're saying that extra detail is usually not worth it if it impeeds play.

I completely, 100%, agree with that.

The difference you may not be considering, though, is that the Universal Game Mechanic (UGM) is very, very simple to use in your game.

Whenever you need to roll a task, it's simply:

Roll 2D, add mods, and you're successful if the total is 8+.

I mean, it's that simple.

So, if a task system is just as simple as what you are already using AND it provides the added benefit of extra detail--isn't that a worthy consideration for a game?

Hi !

Ho, ho, what does "a lot of" mean, when talking about Traveller players ?

We're a rare species.

Seriously, in the end a rules talk tends to be ruled by taste. That makes argument driven discussion difficult. And you would not change your girlfriend for some minor "habits", even if you could (I hope you won't). Same is perhaps true for staying with MT.

So, dealing with the taste thing, here are some more aspects, which would prevent me from using UGM:

- I prefer the perhaps rough difficulty cuts made by MT: simple - routine - difficult
So there are less discussions, if something is routine or standard or difficult or challenging.
And it fits to the overall concept, say no skill - up one level, small target up one level, hasty task up one level etc.
I consider the step away from difficulty adaption via DM to named task difficulty classifications as a really great advancement in RPG (Ok, I could do that with UGM, but as I said the quantisation is too detailed).

- I really like the reduced impact of personal stats on task resolution in MT. This is something essential for a modern/SF environment to me.
Indeed the "natural ability" would support this aspect, too. (Besides, the influence of stat differences of only a few digits vanishes in UGM, too, if task difficulties are in the lower or higher range)
Hm, but it triggers the need for another compare throw-stat event, which I simply would not like. I prefer clearly defined DMs before the actual roll has to be made.
The influence should be fixed and not subject to probabilties. Guess its a good tradition in many other RPG systems, that stat boni are "fixed".

- last but least, all the MT stuff I have is readily covered MT/task based

In a conclusion I would say, that UGM might be a pretty good thing for CT in order to provide a more structurized approach of handling skill checks.
Considering MT, the changes present no convincing differences/advantages. Here its merely a minor shifting of probabilities and surely a step directed "back" to CT (8+ centric, detailed difficulty quantisation).
In fact the MT task system appears to be more straightforward and evolved. E.g. a task base difficulty is a player independent "design time" information. As such it should not flow into DM calculation at "runtime", but should be presented in a already prepared way, e.g. as "difficult" task.

Of course, all of this is taste driven

Best regards,

Mert

Ho, ho, what does "a lot of" mean, when talking about Traveller players ?

We're a rare species.
Good point!

UGM has only been around for a few weeks, and the fact that some people have adopted it upon seeing it is, I guess, what I mean.

And you would not change your girlfriend for some minor "habits", even if you could (I hope you won't). Same is perhaps true for staying with MT.
Mert, if only EVERYONE could take note of your incredible taste and particular way you put things, I believe these little flame wars would become so much more rare.

I want to thank you, Mert, for the way you disagreed with me.

It's a pleasure to read. (Really...I mean it.)

- I prefer the perhaps rough difficulty cuts made by MT: simple - routine - difficult
So there are less discussions, if something is routine or standard or difficult or challenging.
One of the UGM users is using UGM with only two difficulty levels, if you can believe that. He uses 8+ and 10+.

UGM is easily customized to taste.

And it fits to the overall concept, say no skill - up one level, small target up one level, hasty task up one level etc.
Any reason you see why this can't be done with UGM?

I consider the step away from difficulty adaption via DM to named task difficulty classifications as a really great advancement in RPG (Ok, I could do that with UGM, but as I said the quantisation is too detailed).
BTW, UGM can be used "The MT Way" with the difficulty level steps for any GM that prefers it that way.

Instead of the DMs for difficulty on the task roll, simply use these.

4+....Easy
6+....Routine
8+....Standard
10+...Challenging
12+...Formidable
14+...Insane
16+...Impossible

And, if you want to cut out some difficulty steps, I'd cut out Challenging and Insane immediately--maybe even Formidable.

If you look at the probability numbers I posted, the system isn't going to loose much at all because these higher difficulty categories all have a probablitly of around 0% for most characters.

Easy
Routine
Standard
Formidable
Impossible

That'd be a good set-up for UGM, depending on GM taste.

The point being: UGM is very customizable to a GM's game.

- I really like the reduced impact of personal stats on task resolution in MT. This is something essential for a modern/SF environment to me.
Indeed the "natural ability" would support this aspect, too.
We might have to agree to disagree on this one, Mert.

Skill-3 is, by official game definition, a professional level skill. A character with Medical-3 is a doctor.

I can't see anyone with an EDU-15, even though highly educated, being a doctor without specific training in that area.

Yet, they both get +3 on the task roll.

I'm firmly in the camp that believes skills are trained knowledge in an area, and stats are natural ability.

So, in this aspect, I believe the MT/DGP task system broken (or at least bent) a bit.

(Besides, the influence of stat differences of only a few digits vanishes in UGM, too, if task difficulties are in the lower or higher range)
I see what you're saying, but you're not quite right about that. Every stat in UGM is differintiated from the other. Each higher level stat has some benefit over the next lower number stat.

Hm, but it triggers the need for another compare throw-stat event, which I simply would not like.
You do understand that it's all one task roll, right? There's not one roll to compare stat following by a second roll for the task. I wouldn't like that either.

UGM does this all in one roll.

The rolling stat or below and comparing is, IMO, superior to having to take your stat and divide it by a number (Stat/5).

Considering MT, the changes present no convincing differences/advantages.
Understood.

It's out there, and you're welcome to it Mert, if you ever change your mind.

Here its merely a minor shifting of probabilities and surely a step directed "back" to CT (8+ centric, detailed difficulty quantisation).
Look at the MT-like difficulty levels I posted above, if that is your preference. Using them does not change UGM.

Of course, all of this is taste driven

Best regards,

Mert
Absolutley!

Mert, this is going to be my model post in how to handle constructive criticism without fighting words!

Excellent job, disagreeing with me, brother!

Excellent job.

Hi Houston !

One of the UGM users is using UGM with only two difficulty levels, if you can believe that. He uses 8+ and 10+.
Perhaps he was just right. Often its silly to punish players with "simple" task roles anyway...
But regrading "customizing"...
Guess any rule system could be tweaked until it fits. Same is naturally true for UGM.
Well, after many years of tweaking and "house-ruling" I finally came to the conclusion to "keep the standard". Meaning I take rules as they are, because it makes life a bit easier.
I have to say: "clean MT" and everybody knows what to do.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />And it fits to the overall concept, say no skill - up one level, small target up one level, hasty task up one level etc.
Any reason you see why this can't be done with UGM?
</font>[/QUOTE]No reason at all. Its customizable

But what difficulty level increase would be used in UGM ?
Two levels up/down ?
Should be included in the UGM specification...

BTW, UGM can be used "The MT Way" with the difficulty level steps for any GM that prefers it that way.

Easy
Routine
Standard
Formidable
Impossible

That'd be a good set-up for UGM, depending on GM taste.

The point being: UGM is very customizable to a GM's game.
I was totally aware of that

Though it does not fit to MT correctly, because it gos 3+ (simple) 7+ (routine) 11+ (difficult)
See, we are customizing again.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />- I really like the reduced impact of personal stats on task resolution in MT. This is something essential for a modern/SF environment to me.
Indeed the "natural ability" would support this aspect, too.
We might have to agree to disagree on this one, Mert.

Skill-3 is, by official game definition, a professional level skill. A character with Medical-3 is a doctor.
I can't see anyone with an EDU-15, even though highly educated, being a doctor without specific training in that area.
Yet, they both get +3 on the task roll.
I'm firmly in the camp that believes skills are trained knowledge in an area, and stats are natural ability.
So, in this aspect, I believe the MT/DGP task system broken (or at least bent) a bit.
</font>[/QUOTE]Yep. Lets disagree a bit

The MT tasksystem differs between skilled or unskilled tasks.
Doing a doctors job usually is not a "unskilled OK" task.
If the referee is very kind, he allows to do that, but task difficulty increases one MT level. Thats the law here

So, even an extraordinary EDU 15 person has to do a:
Formidable, Edu, 2 days (well, thats success on 12+)
task, to do the job a typical doctor (medic-3, Edu A) would just do a:
Difficult, Medical, Edu, 2 days (looks better, success on 6+)

MT gives skills higher priority and governs stat impact carefully.
Ok ?
(I have to admit, that I once used a house rule not to allow stat modifiers greater than the skill applied, but I dropped that again year ago)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />(Besides, the influence of stat differences of only a few digits vanishes in UGM, too, if task difficulties are in the lower or higher range)
I see what you're saying, but you're not quite right about that. Every stat in UGM is differintiated from the other. Each higher level stat has some benefit over the next lower number stat.
</font>[/QUOTE]What I wanted to express:
Say you have somebody with a Dex stat 3 and a Dex stat 6.
As long as the natural throw of both is lower equal 4 or greater than 6 the "natural ability" modifier is the same.
E.g. assuming a skill level 0 and a standard difficulty (8+), both persons have to roll 8+.
The same is true for an easy task (4+). Here both succeed on a 3+.
Just in the mid-range task (routine) the natural ability has an effect, an the Dex 6 person has an advantage.

Anyway, this is perhaps not bad. Natural ability effects decrease, if task difficulty increases (unless the natural ability is very significant).

But nevertheless this system adds complexity (not meaning its complicate, but it adds a formal compare/classify step).
Thats best realized, when implemeting those rules in a piece of program code. It will result it some more lines of code (a few if-clauses).

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Hm, but it triggers the need for another compare throw-stat event, which I simply would not like.
You do understand that it's all one task roll, right? There's not one roll to compare stat following by a second roll for the task. I wouldn't like that either.

UGM does this all in one roll.
The rolling stat or below and comparing is, IMO, superior to having to take your stat and divide it by a number (Stat/5).

</font>[/QUOTE]Was clear to me...
Well, the difference is, that in MT the complete DM set and the resulting needed throw is defined before roling the dice, while in UGM the throw has to made and subsequently "analyzed". This makes MT appear to me as more direct, because a player can yell "Gotcha" just with a look at the dice. UGM provides a suspense bit here.
I would not dare to define any method to be superior here. They are just slightly different.
Just a taste thing

What You perhaps could do is to offer the natural ability DM generally if the base task difficulty is lower equal to the stat ? So attribute differences keep their influence and the UGM task is just as prettily defined - before the throw - as the MT tasks are.

In order to convince somebody, who is using the MT task ruleset to use UGM, it might be useful to work out the value added by adopting the system.
The argument array "it can be customized" should be neglegted, because this is essentially true for any rule system and implies "work" for the referee. It like trying to sell a new software, which is customizable, so that it works like the customers old one

So, I guess the "new" aspect of UGM in relation to MT is the different handling of the stat modifiers / the natural ability.
If I would like that, I just would customize this tiny bit in my MT ruleset. (Besides, there are dozens of different ways to handle skills and attributes around as house rules)

Regards,

Mert

If you mean me, I use 8+ and 12+ almost all the time - I did it this way for MT too (could never be bothered with task libraries, most of it was made up on the spot ;) ).

I usually default to:
don't roll a 2
roll 8+
roll 12+
roll a 12 and we'll talk about it
file_23.gif

Hi Houston !
Yo, Germany!

Often its silly to punish players with "simple" task roles anyway...
Easy task rolls under UGM for most characters is either 100% or very close to it. I'd say only roll in "special" circumstances--a character is wounded, time is of the essence...something like that.

Guess any rule system could be tweaked until it fits.
Absolutely.

Well, after many years of tweaking and "house-ruling" I finally came to the conclusion to "keep the standard". Meaning I take rules as they are, because it makes life a bit easier.
It might not seem like it, and I may not convince you of this, but those are my exact sentiments. I only tweak things when I think they really, really need to be tweaked.

CT needed a task system, and I thought I could come up with something better than MT (even though, believe it or not, I do like MT), and...ta daaa...CTI was born.

And, shortly after CTI, UGM was created.

But what difficulty level increase would be used in UGM ?
Two levels up/down ?
Should be included in the UGM specification...
I'm keeping UGM "rules lite". I want it all to fit on single page.

This is up to the GM.

Two levels up/down sounds about right, but it would be easy to figure the same probability drop/increase that this type of rule has on standard MT.

Did you know that UGM produces probability numbers almost exactly the same (and in many cases exactly the same) as MT?

Probability-wise, the two systems are very, very close.

Though it does not fit to MT correctly, because it gos 3+ (simple) 7+ (routine) 11+ (difficult)
See, we are customizing again.
Actually, you'd be surprised at how UGM completely fits MT.

Sure, the standard MT numbers aren't used, but look at this thread:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=44;t=000278

You'll see stuff like this--

(Notice the UGM and MT numbers for the same difficulty category are exactly the same).

An average Skill-2, Stat-7 character is being compared on this chart.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> MT UGM CTI
ESY 100% 100% 95%
ROU 92% 92% 82%
STD 72%
DIF 42% 42% 54%
CHA 17% 26%
FOR 3% 3% 7%
STG/INS 0% 4%
IMP 0% 0% 3%</pre>[/QUOTE]
[qb]The MT tasksystem differs between skilled or unskilled tasks.[/b]
I didn't "officially" write it into UGM, but I don't see any reason why this couldn't be done with UGM as well.

Doing a doctors job usually is not a "unskilled OK" task.

(snip example)
Yeah, all that stuff could be done with UGM too, if the GM wanted to.

That wasn't the point of my original example you were replying to.

MT gives skills higher priority and governs stat impact carefully.
Ok ?
In both MT and UGM, skills are weighted exactly the same. They're both 2D systems, and Skill-1 will give a +1DM to the throw.

So, the increase you get from having skill is the exact same for both systems.

Now, UGM actually lessens the impact of Stats than in the MT system (just a little bit).

You typically get +1 or +2 with MT.

With UGM, you typically get +1 or 0.

It's about a 1 point difference, yet UGM gets away from giving a Stat-15 guy a whopping +3, which makes him equal to a Level-3 skill.

I think that's a little crazy, giving a non-skilled person the quivalent of Skill-3. Heck, I even hesistated from giving my extra high natural ability characters a +2 in UGM, but I live with it because it doesn't happen often.

I think, at most, raw, natural ability, should be worth either (A) a penalty, (B) a +1 equivalent to Skill+1, or (C) no penalty or bonus.

Those should be the three choices. I hit two of them with UGM.

What I wanted to express:
Say you have somebody with a Dex stat 3 and a Dex stat 6.
As long as the natural throw of both is lower equal 4 or greater than 6 the "natural ability" modifier is the same.
Sure, but you're looking at this from an MT perspective.

That bonus isn't applied all the time. Higher stats get the +1 bonus (A) more often, and (B) are able to use that bonus on higher difficulty levels.

So, using your example, we've got Domingo with Stat-3 and Jynx with Stat-6.

Domingo is only going to get his bonus a miserable 8% of the time.

Jynx will get his bonus five times more often! 42% of the time! Almost half of all rolls made by the Stat-6 guy will get the bonus.

So, that's difference number one between the stat levels.

Difference number two is how useful that bonus will be to the character.

Domingo, with his Stat-3, will get his bonus when his rolls are 3-. That means (depending on skill level), that his bonus will only be beneficial to him on Easy task rolls (maybe Routine rolls if his skill is high enough).

Since rolling Easy rolls is typically 90%+ anyway, this is a very small benefit that the Stat-3 Domingo is getting.

But, look at Jynx with his Stat-6. He gets a bonus, and it will help not only with Easy rolls, but also with Routine rolls. If his skill is high enough, it will help him with Standard rolls.

So, what's the net result here?

--1-- Jynx will get his +1 natural ability bonus on almost half of his rolls--five times more often than Domingo gets his.

--2-- Domingo's bonus is worth next to nothing because he's already rolling Easy task rolls in the 90%+ range. He'll succeed Easy rolls with or without the stat bonus, so the stat bonus is next to useless for this lowly Stat-3 character.

--3-- Jynx not only gets his bonus half the time, but he also gets it on the most important difficulty categories in the game: Routine, Standard, and Difficult rolls are the "meat" of the game, and that's exactly where Jynx's bonus will help him. (Unless very highly skilled, Domingo will never get a stat bonus on these difficulty categories).

So, you see, there is A LOT of difference between stats using UGM. The higher the stat, the more frequent the bonus AND the more useful the bonus is to the character.

But nevertheless this system adds complexity (not meaning its complicate, but it adds a formal compare/classify step).
"Compare your roll to your Stat" has got to be at least as easy (I'd argue that it's easier) as what it replaces in the MT system, which is "Divide Stat by 5, then add that to the roll".

To be a little more correct in what you're saying, UGM doesn't add a step to the MT system--it replaces a step in the MT system.

Well, the difference is, that in MT the complete DM set and the resulting needed throw is defined before roling the dice, while in UGM the throw has to made and subsequently "analyzed".
You know, you mentioned in your first post something about "knowing the DM before the roll".

With UGM, it's not that far off the mark.

Your character's stat and the difficulty of the task you are rolling are pretty strong indicators (although not definite, of course).

For example, if you've got Stat-3, then you pretty much know, every time you roll, that you're not going to get a bonus.

If you've got Stat-9, then you pretty much know that you will get a bonus.

And, you're difficulty is a strong indicator too--If you've got to roll an Impossible task, then you're not going to get a bonus on it unless you automatically get the bonus anyway (Stat-12 or above).

So, after using UGM a bit, players will have a very good feeling when they will and when they won't get a bonus. Given that, I can't say I think your argument of "knowing all DMs before the roll" is that strong. Sure, there's some question, but even with the middle stats, players will know that on middle-of-the-road difficulty levels, they'll get the bonus at least half the time.

What You perhaps could do is to offer the natural ability DM generally if the base task difficulty is lower equal to the stat ?
I could see some GM coming up with a tweak like that if it suited him, but I actually like the check. It's very "Classic Traveller" (roll stat or less on 2D..if you do it, you get a bonus!).

And, the mechanic, doing it the "official" UGM way, provides a good penalty to low stat characters (in that they will hardly ever get the bonus, and when they do, it won't typically be useful to them).

And...another of my problems with the MT system is that a high-stat, high-skill character starts blowing away all the lower difficulty categories and really gets a good bonus on the high difficulties.

For example, under MT, a Stat-15 Skill-6 character has incredible numbers...he'll make every freakin' task, Easy to Difficult, 100% of the time. No need to roll. Formidable rolls, he'll make a whopping 72% of the time. And, even on Impossible tasks, he'll make those 17% of the time.

I know a Stat-15 Skill-6 character is a GAWD in Traveller, but sheeeshhh. I think those numbers are a little crazy. This is another area where I think MT is "bent".

And, with those Stat/3 tweaks, the numbers for this character are even worse.

Step in, UGM....

The same character will make Easy, Routine, and Standard tasks 100% of the time. I'm good with that.

But, there's some room for failure with Difficult tasks (97%...compared to 100% with MT).

Challenging (83%).

Formidable (58%...compared to 72% with MT).

Insane (28%)

Impossible (8%....compared to 17% with MT).

UGM, by design, tapers the top end down a bit, keep the hard difficulties hard. Under MT, this character might as well not roll unless he's rolling Formidable or Impossible tasks.

This just might be a taste-issue, as you've described, but I believe this is another area of MT that needs fixin'.

In order to convince somebody, who is using the MT task ruleset to use UGM, it might be useful to work out the value added by adopting the system.
Excellent point.

But, that's what I've been saying. I think people skim and miss "it".

What UGM gives you, over MT, is differentation between stats. It makes every higher stat more important to a character than the next lower level.

It makes your Stat-9 and Stat-8 characters different from each other.

And, it does this in a simple to use, easy to implement game mechanic that produces probability almost exactly the same as MT.

I think that's a pretty strong argument.

If I would like that, I just would customize this tiny bit in my MT ruleset.
How do you propose to customize MT to where each level of stat will provide a different benefit from the other?

Ken:

A suggestion on how to implement the +2 level: 8 or 10 points below att gets the +2...

It makes only the worst rolls get the additional bonus... and at 8 below, it's only Atts A+; at 10 it's C+...

Hi again !

Next turn

It might not seem like it, and I may not convince you of this, but those are my exact sentiments. I only tweak things when I think they really, really need to be tweaked.

CT needed a task system, and I thought I could come up with something better than MT (even though, believe it or not, I do like MT), and...ta daaa...CTI was born.

And, shortly after CTI, UGM was created.
Hey, at least You convinced me that MT has a very pretty task system and CT really needed a task system. Guess, thats one reason why they created MT after CT:)

Did you know that UGM produces probability numbers almost exactly the same (and in many cases exactly the same) as MT?
Probability-wise, the two systems are very, very close.
Actually, you'd be surprised at how UGM completely fits MT.
(Notice the UGM and MT numbers for the same difficulty category are exactly the same).
An average Skill-2, Stat-7 character is being compared on this chart.
Yeah, I noticed the slight differences.
Perhaps thats one reason for changing anything in MT is not required, because the impact of the "new" system would be marginal. (Sorry, naughty argumentation :D )

But I would like to ask to check the charts.
E.g. a difficult task in UGM requires a 10+ (Skill-2/Stat-7). Any throw 7+ would succeed here resulting in a probabilty of 58% (not 42%). Or am I wrong here ?
The combination of different base difficulties and the natural ability scrambles the charts a bit.
So, there are a few fairly significant "jumps" in probability between MT and UGM, mainly depending on stat value.
E.g. a stat-4 /skill-1 person has a 92% chance to succeed a routine task in UGM, but only 72% in MT.

It took a while, but I put together another chart to compare probabilities, resulting in some general statements:
- for low stat characters (below 5) life is a little more easy with UGM
- for mid stat characters (5-9) life is more easy in UGM (routine things) and just the same as MT for more difficult ones
- for high stat characters (A-F) life is pretty similar in MT and UGM in the whole range

In both MT and UGM, skills are weighted exactly the same. They're both 2D systems, and Skill-1 will give a +1DM to the throw.
So, the increase you get from having skill is the exact same for both systems.
Now, UGM actually lessens the impact of Stats than in the MT system (just a little bit).
You typically get +1 or +2 with MT.
With UGM, you typically get +1 or 0.
It's about a 1 point difference, yet UGM gets away from giving a Stat-15 guy a whopping +3, which makes him equal to a Level-3 skill.
I think that's a little crazy, giving a non-skilled person the quivalent of Skill-3. Heck, I even hesistated from giving my extra high natural ability characters a +2 in UGM, but I live with it because it doesn't happen often.
I think, at most, raw, natural ability, should be worth either (A) a penalty, (B) a +1 equivalent to Skill+1, or (C) no penalty or bonus.
Those should be the three choices. I hit two of them with UGM.
Well, here taste thing becomes obvious.
To me "lessen stat impact" is also represented by generalizing the stat boni over stat ranges. This is done via the stat DIV 5 rule and results into the thing, that a skill-2/stat-5 person is just as good as a skill-2/stat-9 person

Perhaps I expressed it a bit wrong in prior posts, but what I like on MT just is the flattening of the stat differences.
And regarding those stat 15 guy. This is just an extraordinary person. No superhero, but indeed extraordinary, just like Mozart or Einstein (if its INT or EDU).

Sure, but you're looking at this from an MT perspective.
That bonus isn't applied all the time. Higher stats get the +1 bonus (A) more often, and (B) are able to use that bonus on higher difficulty levels.
So, using your example, we've got Domingo with Stat-3 and Jynx with Stat-6.
Domingo is only going to get his bonus a miserable 8% of the time.
Jynx will get his bonus five times more often! 42% of the time! Almost half of all rolls made by the Stat-6 guy will get the bonus.
So, you see, there is A LOT of difference between stats using UGM. The higher the stat, the more frequent the bonus AND the more useful the bonus is to the character.
Hmmm, IMHO you should not calc with the seperated probabilities for the boni

You're doing a job as election analyst sometimes .... ?
file_23.gif

Perhaps more important is the overall impact on the task throw.
So here Domingo (Stat-3 Skill-2) and Jynx (Stat-6 Skill-2) would have exactly the same chance to succeed in a routine (6+) or in a difficult (10+) task. Just the routine task (8+) is within a "range band" where the stat difference comes into play. (Please check it up... my brain is weak today)
This narrow "band" is the reason, why the MT and UGM probability charts look so similar....

Step in, UGM....
The same character will make Easy, Routine, and Standard tasks 100% of the time. I'm good with that.
But, there's some room for failure with Difficult tasks (97%...compared to 100% with MT).
Challenging (83%).
Formidable (58%...compared to 72% with MT).
Insane (28%)
Impossible (8%....compared to 17% with MT).
UGM, by design, tapers the top end down a bit, keep the hard difficulties hard. Under MT, this character might as well not roll unless he's rolling Formidable or Impossible tasks.

This just might be a taste-issue, as you've described, but I believe this is another area of MT that needs fixin'.
Please check

A natural 2 in MT is always a fumble, no matter what.
The impossible one is just the same in UGM as in MT (you give a +2 DM but task diff 18 is one point lower as task diff in MT=19).

What UGM gives you, over MT, is differentation between stats. It makes every higher stat more important to a character than the next lower level.

It makes your Stat-9 and Stat-8 characters different from each other.

And, it does this in a simple to use, easy to implement game mechanic that produces probability almost exactly the same as MT.

I think that's a pretty strong argument.
Yep. UGM differentiates stat values, but as I described only in a narrow band.
Stat difference disappears at lower and higher task difficulties (logically it depends on the stats).
Isnt that a kind of bug or is it a feature ?

I will post an awful chart soon, which perhaps makes it a bit more visible...

Regards,

Mert

Back