• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Universal Game Mechanic and MegaTraveller

Originally posted by WJP:
Alright, I'll give you a shot.

I want to roll three tasks:

(1) A STR-8 Skill-0 character wants to force open a stuck hatch on a ship.

(2) An EDU-10 Pilot-2 wants to dock with a spinning, derelict spacecraft.

(3) A DEX-5 AutoPistol-1 character wants to fire at a target at medium range.

Show me how those three tasks are done using your system.
Ok, with 1, a stuck hatch can be many things, from being held in place due to some idiot who spilled jam in the hatchway and allowed a small microbe colony hold the hatch in place (easy to average difficulty) to a bad threading caused by structural shifting during battle damage (difficult to formidable) or even vacuum welded due to eons in deep space (Impossible or Hopeless).

So, with Strength being your primary(8) and your skill being 0, you have no chance of a critical success, but, you do have a good chance of having a complete or superior success and a low chance of having anything other than a normal failure.

Decide the difficulty, roll the dice, see the result. With the higher levels of difficulty, the chance of a disastrous failure becomes apparent (in this case, a serious cut or slash could happen due to somthing sharp to jamming the hatch even worse)

I can do a full percentile explanation if you wish.

2) For a minimally skilled pilot to try to dock, with the spinning craft, I would be looking to different attributes such as the available computer or dexterity or intelligence. If we say that the problem is formidable, even with his high edu as his primary, his secondary is so low that he will fail alot of the time and his failures will be a complete failures vs regular failure. He may be able to dock, but odds are he will damage his ship while trying. More than the paint will be chipped, but, unless he gets a minimal or regular success, he has a good chance of damaging both vessels until he finally succeeds. Roll the dice and see. You will probly see 4-6 failure before the success with most of those failure will cause some sort of problem.

With case 3.) again you are listing a very low skill level, are you using the unmodified skill levels from CT/MT - this character has no chance of anything better than minimal or normal success.

Look at the reference charts and you will see the skill levels. A CT skill level of 1 equates to a THE skill level of 3 or 4.

That may be what is confusing you. Convert the CT/MT skill to a THE equivalent and figure out a difficulty number.

I can give you a very detailed description of each of the tasks if you want it.

Best regards

Dalton

Originally posted by Dalton:
Look at the reference charts and you will see the skill levels. A CT skill level of 1 equates to a THE skill level of 3 or 4.

That may be what is confusing you. Convert the CT/MT skill to a THE equivalent and figure out a difficulty number.
See, Dalton, this is where you're loosing me.

As little modification to official rules is what is desireable. Not to re-invent the wheel (as you are doing by converting skill levels to an equivalent) is the goal.

UGM requires no modification to existing CT or MT rules (except replacement of the task system, if you're using MT).

UGM uses CT/MT skill levels.

UGM uses a 2D dice throw.

UGM differinitiates between each and every stat.

And, UGM does this all in a simple, easy to implement, Traveller-centric game mechanic: 2D +mods for 8+.

My personal belief that UGM, or even the MT task system, is so much more desireable than a system that starts doing things radically different from what has already been established in the official rules.

I mean, you might as well say something like, "Take two d20's, roll them up, total them...and then...and then..."

See...your system, in my opinion, does not "fit" with established Traveller rules very well.

Hi Houston !

Give me a gameplay example. Where do you think UGM ignores stat level differences.
Anywhere, where a corresponding stat A- stat B - difficulty C combination in the "big chart" is marked with a "-".
In other words:
Any time, when a character with a stat A has to do a competative task against another character with stat B on a given difficulty C and the resulting stat modifier diff is zero.
So it effects gameplay at many "controntation" task, there the same stat type is used as OFF and DEF modifier (one throw task resolution) or at corresponding seperated task throws.
Typical examples would perhaps be hand-to-hand combat, gambling challenge or a traditional scout brew carousing contest

Besides, is there something like a "MT confrontation task" in UGM ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E.g.,ist kind of weird to ignore a diff of 10 level ona stat 15-10 combination for task of 6-, or a diff of 9 on 8- for 15-6 combination etc.
Those I would consider to be real non-logical gaps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not at all.
What you're saying is this: We've got two characters, one Stat-15 and on Stat-10.
Sorry, was a typo: it should have been "15-5" and "15-6" stat combination above.

They're both making a Routine roll (which turns out to be 6+ on 2D).
A Routine roll is so easy (it's Routine) that it is made just about 83% of the time by anybody with a stat that is Stat-5 or higher.
Once you get to Stat-5, your character is just as good as the big guys (Stat-6 to Stat-15) on Routine rolls.
The higher the difficulty, the higher the stat required to be "competent" at that difficulty level.
So, the logic behind UGM is that the difficulty levels each have a minimum stat required to be "proficient" at that difficulty level.
Yes, I see the thought behind that, but I just would not share it.
A significant higher stat level should always have an impact on any task result and its "quality".
In MT I could be sure that a diff >=5 will result in a modifier diff.
In UGM this only happens on a subset of difficulties (just watch the "big" chart).

And it really starts to get weird, when mid-range stats meet low ranges.
Here differences fade away, if the task diff is just high enough.
E.g. a stat-7 regular compared to a badly challenged stat-1 character.
Both characters get the same bonus (namley none) in order to manage 8+ (standard+) tasks.
Well, to adapt the logic above, you might say, that both stats are to far away from the difficulty level, so that stat-7 just as dumb as the real dumb guy

Honestly I know no RPG system making use of a similar idea (but perhaps others do).

UGM provides a different answer for each combination.
Hey, thats a kind of marketing slogan, isnt it ?

But its essentially true.
(Taste alarm !)
The unlucky aspect might be that each "different answer" contains gaps, based on a logic I simply would not share.
Here MTs stat "grouping" simplification appears to be more straightforward and also more convincing to me.

Anyway, we're nitpicking a little bit about a humble modifier here, don't we ?

Guess at least its important to play Traveller, regardless if its D20, Gurps, Fudge style or whatever style....

Regards,

Mert

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dalton:

See, Dalton, this is where you're loosing me.

As little modification to official rules is what is desireable. Not to re-invent the wheel (as you are doing by converting skill levels to an equivalent) is the goal.

UGM requires no modification to existing CT or MT rules (except replacement of the task system, if you're using MT).

UGM uses CT/MT skill levels.

UGM uses a 2D dice throw.

UGM differinitiates between each and every stat.

And, UGM does this all in a simple, easy to implement, Traveller-centric game mechanic: 2D +mods for 8+.

My personal belief that UGM, or even the MT task system, is so much more desireable than a system that starts doing things radically different from what has already been established in the official rules.

I mean, you might as well say something like, "Take two d20's, roll them up, total them...and then...and then..."

See...your system, in my opinion, does not "fit" with established Traveller rules very well.
</font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, but, almost every version of Traveller has reinvented the wheel.

The original three LBB's gave you very few skill levels, on the order of 1 or 2 ever four years.

Books 5,6 and 7 gave you a possibility of 1 a year (sometimes more with special rolls).

MT reiterated CT's different methods and modified the basic system to be more in line with advanced.

TNE gave you even more skills so that a young TNE character could have more skills than an old veteren from the earlier versions - but overall skill levels where further diluted in value.

I never played T4 although I own all the books, but the pattern seems similar. Skills go down in value, attributes go up in value, task mechanic changes again.

Gurps uses a relitive skill level mechanic, where your attribute is your base skill level, plus or minus a range of points depending upon user choice. Different game mechanic again.

Traveller5 is looking to have a skill a year type of system where 18 year olds start with 5 skill levels before prior experience.

So, for EVERY version of Traveller, skill value has changed. The number of skills have changed. The value of attributes have changed.

I came up with a conversion system that takes CT/CTadvanced, MT, TNE, T4 as well as gurps, converts all the stats to a single standard.

I then allow the user to use existing adventures/supplements by keeping the task difficulty levels from thier current task descriptions.

I only use 2d6, with a roll high mechanic. Have a difficult task - roll 7+ on 2d6.

I use both skills and attributes to change the result levels, not by bumping them, because that does not reflect the odds that come up on 2d6, but by comparison.

Attributes range from 0 to 15 (0-F)
Skills range from 0 to 15 (0-F)
Tasks range from Automatic to Hopeless (in 2 point steps starting at 1 and going to 15)
Different types of tasks are dealt with including uncertain tasks.
It takes less than 3 minutes to teach, and is lots of fun since it gives 7 different levels of results from a single die roll.

It has been converted to D&D and T&T (both character types have had conversion rules written for them) I play about once a month, although that may increase now that I have screen monkey working well with the system.
The other groups play consistantly (I get enough people calling me to ask me questions or tell me about thier games that my wife complains)

I know of alot of people who I have never met who see me at the FLGS and come up to me to tell me they play THE with "so and so" - and sometimes, I do not even know who "so and so" is....

I can say that the system is playtested.

It is fast, it is fun, and it works.

I hope you have as much success with your rules.

best regards

Dalton

Sorry, but, almost every version of Traveller has reinvented the wheel.
Well, TNE certainly did. So did GURPS.

But, CT, MT, and T4 are all pretty close

I wouldn't say that MT or T4 re-invented the wheel from CT. They basically both just used a different task system and tweaked the game here and there.

CT, MT, and T4 are all pretty compatible.

So, actually, it's not every version of Traveller that re-invented the wheel. It's not even half. It's really only 2/5 ths.

So, for EVERY version of Traveller, skill value has changed. The number of skills have changed. The value of attributes have changed.
Again...not quite.

The value of a single skill level (the amount of benefit you will get when using a +1DM on a task throw is about the same--in most cases exactly the same--whether you are using CT, MT, or T4 rules.

A characters gets more skills using the MT chargen, and even more skills than that using T4 chargen, but the actual skill levels stay about the same (the value of a skill level).

In all three editions, skills typically range from level-0 to level-5, with a very few skills higher than that happening every once in a while.

So, you are incorrect in stating that the value of skills has changed in every version of Traveller.

They've only changed in GT and TNE.

I know of alot of people who I have never met who see me at the FLGS and come up to me to tell me they play THE with "so and so" - and sometimes, I do not even know who "so and so" is....

I can say that the system is playtested.

It is fast, it is fun, and it works.

I hope you have as much success with your rules.
Yep, if it's a quality system, it will typically interest someone. I should know--UGM is definitely not the first Traveller system I've written.

But, when I create game mechanics, I never re-invent the wheel. I always conform any tweaks or new rules to exisiting official game mechanics.

I like it better that way, and I know that people who've used my stuff in the past prefer it that way.

But, CT, MT, and T4 are all pretty close

I wouldn't say that MT or T4 re-invented the wheel from CT. They basically both just used a different task system and tweaked the game here and there.

CT, MT, and T4 are all pretty compatible.
Not quite, MT introduced task system mechanics, that did not exist in CT. CT had a different, non-consistant for every type of action.

MT changed character creation and changed the skill balance. So, both character creation and the method of task resolution changed. I would call that pretty fundimental. Also the combat and space ship design sequence changed.

Now lets look at T4. The ship design system was more like TNE than CT or MT. Even the design system was a version 2 of a TNE book.

T4's task system is more like TNEs than any of it's predecessors, requiring a roll under fist full of dice system. The combat mechanic was close to CT's but created combat pools - something not seen in any of the other versions.

When skill aquisition, task resolution, equipment definition and combat are different, you might as well say it is a different game.

5 Systems, similiar but, not quite.

The value of a single skill level (the amount of benefit you will get when using a +1DM on a task throw is about the same--in most cases exactly the same--whether you are using CT, MT, or T4 rules.

A characters gets more skills using the MT chargen, and even more skills than that using T4 chargen, but the actual skill levels stay about the same (the value of a skill level).

In all three editions, skills typically range from level-0 to level-5, with a very few skills higher than that happening every once in a while.

So, you are incorrect in stating that the value of skills has changed in every version of Traveller.

The value of the skills changed fundimentally. With CT, a skill was a direct modifier to the die roll. Attributes, either had no modifier to the die roll, or, they would have a single fixed modifier if the attribute was greater than some arbitrary value.

MT, gave a flat die modifier based upon a scaler progression of the controlling attributes. This was new. This meant that a high attribute could give the same benefit or better than a skilled character, regardless of the situation. Whereas CT has rolls that where not modified by skill or attribute.

TNE was a roll under fistfull of polyhendrial dice abortion.

T4 took the TNE garbage and added the attribute to the skill. This means that attributes and skills where equal for purposes of task resolution. They affected the percentile odds of something occuring equally. This means that the hard to get skills where not as important as the easier to get attribute adds. Get a high attribute and a bunch of 0 level skills and you are as good as or better than alot of skilled PC's, but you happen to be better at alot more.

T5's task system has taken alot of flak due to it's initial use of a slightly modified T4 system.
Marc has yet to announce the final task system and his use of flux shows a totally new mechanic in the works.

So, T4 had a different task mechanic with a totally different value for the skills.

Are you sure you played these games? In presentation CT and T4 are similiar, and other than T4's blatent reprinting of CT stuff, I do not see any other similarities.

Our system (I can not say mine) was developed over a few beers and alot of old time reminising. It changed alot over the next few weeks/months until it became the system you are seeing glimpses of on these forums.

We started with our task system combined with Bits-ACQ as our combat system. Our characters where converted Traveller characters pulled from CT supplements.

We ended up with a new combat system, ship design system and various mechanics.

The real changes all took place due to the feedback from our neighbours, friends, thier friends etc.

I would never have come up with this system without the active in game rule changes that everybody contributed to.

Although I have designed Traveller rules in the past, I can not say I really designed this one.

I just happen to be insane enough to try to fulfill a promise to document it.

Best regards

Dalton

The MT mechanics for tasks predate MT by SEVERAL years. They were originally provided in Traveller's Digest, Grand Census, and Grand Survey for use in CT by DGP. Traveller:2300 also used them, albeit with a different die. So to say there was no CT task system is a lie, as much as is that MT introduces it.

CT was provided with no task system, and a variety of internal resolution systems; there was a CT task system in print by DGP as an add-on. That task system was later incorporated in to Traveller:2300, and then only later still into MT.

Originally posted by Aramis:
The MT mechanics for tasks predate MT by SEVERAL years. They were originally provided in Traveller's Digest, Grand Census, and Grand Survey for use in CT by DGP. Traveller:2300 also used them, albeit with a different die. So to say there was no CT task system is a lie, as much as is that MT introduces it.

CT was provided with no task system, and a variety of internal resolution systems; there was a CT task system in print by DGP as an add-on. That task system was later incorporated in to Traveller:2300, and then only later still into MT.
Aramis, you are confirming what i have said. CT was provided with NO TASK SYSTEM.

Back when CT was released, it was impossible, in my neck of the woods, to get the journal, or and DGP products. The first DGP product I ever saw only hit the shelves after TNE was announced.

CT as published = no system but could use any system, DGP was kind enough to provide a possible one.

best regards

Dalton

Not quite, MT introduced task system mechanics, that did not exist in CT. CT had a different, non-consistant for every type of action.
Actually, not quite.

The MT task system was originally called the "Universal Task Profile", and it was developed by DGP as a task system for use with CT before MT was published.

DGP was contracted to write the MT rules, and when they did, they used their task system that they developed for CT.

The MT task system is known as the "MT" task system, but it was the CT task system first.

MT changed character creation and changed the skill balance.
Again, not quite.

MT tweaked CT character generation a bit. MT removed the 7 term max limit. MT added the Special Duty roll, and the 4+ on Commission/Promotion/Special Duty for an extra skill (this was done to make 4-Year CT character generation spit out characters that were equivalent to CT advanced chargen).

MT's advanced chargen are almost exactly like those presented in Books 4-7.

Skill levels in MT ARE equivalent to skill levels in CT. If you use the MT tweaks, you'll just end up with more skills--you still won't see too many Skill-5's or above.

But, you will have more Skill-2's and many more Skill-1's.

So, the weight of the skill level hasn't been change in MT. The number of skills a character gets in MT is increased over that generated with CT methods.

The combat mechanic was close to CT's but created combat pools - something not seen in any of the other versions.
Again, you're missing the dice pools that were used in MT. The Tactics dice pool, for example, was a DGP/MT optional rule. It wasn't unique to T4.

5 Systems, similiar but, not quite.
If you decided to use the T4 task system and combat system, you can use characters created from either CT or MT.

If you decided to use the MT task system, you can use characters created with T4 or CT with little to no fuss.

CT, MT, and T4 are all, pretty much mutually compatible.

You can't say this about GT or TNE.

So, CT, MT, and T4 are pretty much just different versions of the same thing.

GT and TNE are different animals.

Are you sure you played these games?
Absolutley. And, I've written several rules for the different versions which require me to have a decent understanding of the mechanics.

You can easily use the MT combat system or Task system with either CT or T4. Just refer to the MT rules and keep charagen with either CT or T4 (T4 will provide characters with more skills, but the actual skill levels will remain around the same value).

Or, you could use the CT combat system, and use, interchangeably, rules from either MT or T4.

CT, MT, and T4 are all very compatible systems. They're very inter-changeable.

If you wanted to use just T4 chargen, and only T4 chargen, but use CT for everything else, then you could easily do this without unbalancing the game.

This cannot be said for TNE or GT.

I'm afraid you're under some wrong assumption about the inter-compatibility of CT, MT, and T4.

Back when CT was released, it was impossible, in my neck of the woods, to get the journal, or and DGP products.
Just because you couldn't get it though, doesn't mean that it didn't exist.

CT as published = no system but could use any system, DGP was kind enough to provide a possible one.
Again, not quite.

Check out page 28 of the Traveller Adventure (a GDW product, not DGP), which was published in 1983.

An entire CT task system is laid out there (this is not the DGP task system).

This system also saw print in other CT adventures.

I'm not trying to be snotty, Dalton, if you're taking me that way. It's just that you don't have all your fact straight, and you are operating under some wrong assumptions about skill value among T4, MT, and CT systems.

MT changed character creation and changed the skill balance.
As I stated above, you are operating under some wrong assumptions, and you don't have your facts straight.

I'll refer you to this fact...

The MT task system was originally called the "Universal Task Profile", and it was developed by DGP as a task system for use with CT before MT was published.
If the MT task system was originally developed for CT (and it was), and it wasn't changed one iota from that which appeared for use with CT rules, then obviously the MT designers knew (correctly) that the skill values produced in chargen by both MT and CT were the same.

MT characters get more skills than CT characters (basic chargen--advanced chargen is nearly identical), but the value of a skill level remains the same between the two systems.

Otherwise, the task system wouldn't be inter-compatible between MT and CT.

The fact is, DGP was not known to alot of CT traveller fans. DGP was a secondary company and never had the same production/sales figures as CT did with books 1-3. DGP was an add on that GDW happened to like, BUT, was not formally a GDW accepted product until MT. There where alot of different Task systems flotting around back in the day. DGP's task system was introduced in the journal as an option, and, I think that was when the journal was already absorbed into challenge.
I have played this game since 79 and I remember going out and buying the revised book 5.
If you came later to the game, you would have a different memory of it, as the traveller book came out as a mature version of the original LBB's and it did not use the DGP task system.

Classic traveller never had an official all encompassing task system - it was tacked on later, and not universally as alot of player never where able to get the third party add ons.

So, although DGP developed the UTP for CT, it was never an official part of CT and most people never heard of UTP until later GDW products where released.

Just because a product is designed to work with something does not make it the official product.

As for the task system being inter-compatible, there you are wrong.

If the task system was inter-compatible (and that term I know well as I am a programmer who has to conform to many standards) then the odds and ratios of success and failure would remain the same.

That is blantently not the case.

Do a success failure ratio using either LBB 1/snapshot/azanta high lightening and compare that with the success failure probabilities for MT and you will find that the odds of success and failure for different weapon/armor combinations is totally different.

Using UTP was easier (less charts to look up) and in my opinion was a better method, BUT it was not compatable as the chances of success and failure for almost every task changed.

With CT, CT's character generation system worked.
With CT and UTP, you where in a definate weak state if you simply kept CT's character generation. CT+books 4-5-6-7 created characters more in tune with UTP.

DGP knew this and so did GDW. MT's basic character generation had more in common with the advance career generation than it did with CT's basic generation.

Do a odds/ratio chart, it will become obvious in the first column just how different they are.

You are in the unfortunate position of having anecdotes without actually looking at the facts.

best regards

Dalton

DGP's task system was introduced in the journal as an option, and, I think that was when the journal was already absorbed into challenge.
Dalton, again, you are wrong. The UTP was introduced in an early Traveller's Digest. It never saw print in the Journal. And, it appeared years before Challenge absorbed the Journal.

Classic traveller never had an official all encompassing task system - it was tacked on later, and not universally as alot of player never where able to get the third party add ons.
What do you call the task system described on pg. 28-29 of The Traveller Adventure then?

A shorter version of this appears page 2 of Adventure 1 The Kinunir.

Just because it didn't have the words "TASK SYSTEM" flashing in bright neon, these are Classic Traveller rules designed to handle (to quote from TTA) "a wide variety of circumstances and situations", and they are "efficient methods of dealing with unexpected situations."

In other words, these are rules for tasks.

Obvisoulsy, these are official CT rules. Obviously, this is CT's attempt at a task system.

Classic Traveller had a lot of rules that showed up in Adventures and other supplements (not unlike D&D and most other RPGs).

As for the task system being inter-compatible, there you are wrong.
Well, the MT task system was designed for CT. And, it was used, without being changed at all, in the official MT set.

So, if the MT task system is not inter-compatible with both CT and MT, then there are a lot of Traveller gamers out there (using the most popular Traveller task system) using an incompatible system.

I'd put my money on all of those gamers being correct and you being incorrect in your opinion that CT and MT are not inter-compatible using the MT task sytem.

Don't forget to lump the MT designers into the group that believes the MT task system is inter-compatible with CT.

Dalton, again, you are wrong. The UTP was introduced in an early Traveller's Digest. It never saw print in the Journal. And, it appeared years before Challenge absorbed the Journal.
Travellers digest was a DGP production, not a GDW production and if it hit canada, it stayed in the major cities.

Also I have the UTP in a copy of the Journal - from my traveller journal reprints. When MT was being introduced and the rebellion was being shown in the TAS news entries. I can get you issue and page once I get home.

What do you call the task system described on pg. 28-29 of The Traveller Adventure then?

A shorter version of this appears page 2 of Adventure 1 The Kinunir.
This is exactly the wording from adventure 1 the Kinunir

DIE-ROLLING CONVENTIONS
The same die-rolling conventions used in other books for Traveller are in force
when playing the Kinunir adventure. To briefly recapitulate:
Throw: That dice roll required to achieve a stated effect. If only the number is
stated, it must be rolled exactly; often the statement will include exactly in
parentheses. A number followed by a plus (for example, 8+) indicates that the
number or greater must be rolled, while a number followed by a minus (for
example, 3-) indicates that that number or less must be thrown.
Number of Dice: Usually, a dice throw involves two dice. Throws requiring more
dice (or fewer dice) are always clearly stated. All dice throws involve six-sided dice.
Die Roll Modifiers: Die modifiers (abbreviated DM) are always preceded by
either a plus or minus (in contrast to the statement of throws, which are followed
by the sign). Thus, the notation DM +3 indicates that 3 is added to the die roll
before it is compared to the required throw.
Generating Throws: In situations where no specific throw is stated, the referee
must usually create the throw himself. Often such a throw may be determined by
referring to the characteristics of the player-characters involved. Such
characteristics may be used either raw, or subject to DMs based on personal skills.
For example, a character may be faced with a very unusual navigational problem
hitherto unencountered. The referee can easily create the required throw to solve
the problem by using the character's intelligence (or less), thus, in effect, stating
that anyone with that level of intelligence has that probability of solving the
problem (per day, per hour, or whatever). Each level of navigation skill would then
be used as a DM of +1. Also, a requirement should be imposed that some navigation
skill is a prerequisite.

As you can see, it is NOT a universal mechanic. It is an addhoc mechanic to deal with actions not specifically dealt with in the main rules.

I do not have the Traveller Adventure with me so I can not specifically refute your posting but if you use the kinunir as an example, you must be reading a different set of rules than I am.

Just because it didn't have the words "TASK SYSTEM" flashing in bright neon, these are Classic Traveller rules designed to handle (to quote from TTA) "a wide variety of circumstances and situations", and they are "efficient methods of dealing with unexpected situations."

In other words, these are rules for tasks.

Obvisoulsy, these are official CT rules. Obviously, this is CT's attempt at a task system.

Classic Traveller had a lot of rules that showed up in Adventures and other supplements (not unlike D&D and most other RPGs).
That statement alone proves my point. Traveller had different rules depending upon what you do. The combat mechanic was different from the trade and commerce mechanic, which was different from the teaching rule mechanic which was different from the diagnosis and repair mechanic. With most mechanics left to the referee's discretion.
You could not be a rule lawyer with CT because there where not many rules for alot of situations.
The use of die modifiers calculated from attributes was not a CT thing. CT stated quite clearly "IF an attribute equals X or greater, add this, otherwise add nothing". It was not "ADD 1 to the die roll for every point attribute is above X" nor was it "Add your skill to your attribute and roll under" it was always roll 8+ plus skill plus possible bonus's (see related charts) and in some rare circomstances, add 1 or 2 points due to attribute if the description calls for it.

The CT system produced VERY different result ratios from the MT system.

Well, the MT task system was designed for CT. And, it was used, without being changed at all, in the official MT set.

So, if the MT task system is not inter-compatible with both CT and MT, then there are a lot of Traveller gamers out there (using the most popular Traveller task system) using an incompatible system.

I'd put my money on all of those gamers being correct and you being incorrect in your opinion that CT and MT are not inter-compatible using the MT task sytem.

Don't forget to lump the MT designers into the group that believes the MT task system is inter-compatible with CT.
Alot of people use thier DVD writers to burn backup copies of thier material.
Under canadian law, this is allowed.
Under current american law, this is not allowed.
Depending upon who you are, where you are, and what is available to you, you may use one system of the other.
I am not saying the CT is any better or worse than MT. I am just saying that the rules created and published by GDW are different than the rules created by DGP. If they where not different, DGP would not have had to create them.
I am also saying that the CT rules as published had different odds of success and failure than MT.
This is a fact. If you never played with the CT rules and only used MT rules, you would never realize this. If you came late to the CT era, you would have only used the DGP based rule set. That is fine.
Many D&D players out there think that the original D&D set was the 'BASIC D&D' set which is patently false as it was the third set of rules published for D&D and it changed alot of the fundimental rules of the game.
What you play is your choice. What system you use is your choice. I am a programmer. I have to deal with standards bodies, code standards, UML standards and the one rule is, DO NOT CALL SOMETHING BY SOME OTHER NAME. As the CT rules did not have the UTP in it, regardless of whether or not the rules where designed for CT, they are NOT the CT rules. If the traveller book was published with UTP, that would have been a different set of rules than the CT rules. The traveller book was published without the UTP mechanics, even thought the UTP system was already created for CT.

This is not a argument of which is better. It is an argument over comparing apples to oranges and selling old south orange juice as the latest champain because 'THEY ARE FUNDEMENTALLY THE SAME, AT LEAST THAT IS HOW WE DID IT' which is a spurious argument at best and an insult to yourself at worst.

This comes down to an old post aramis made on one of these threads (he is much more elegant in his writing than I am) comparing the different systems and he fully recognized the fundemental differences between them.

Look for it, it is a good read. (But it may be in the private playtest area)

best regards

Dalton

Also I have the UTP in a copy of the Journal - from my traveller journal reprints.
I have all those Journals, and I don't remember it ever being in the Journal. Maybe I'm mistaken--maybe it was re-printed in the Journal after MT came out.

The point was, though, that the MT system was originally published in the Travellers Digest before MT was published, and the MT task system was designed originally for use with CT.

As you can see, it is NOT a universal mechanic. It is an addhoc mechanic to deal with actions not specifically dealt with in the main rules.
Exactly. It's a task system. Sure, it's a loose system that is not as structured as rigidly as the MT task system is, but what you see in Adventure 1 (and is extended somewhat in The Traveller Adventure) IS a set of rules designed for the GM to handle situations not specifically dealt with in the main rules...just like you say above.

That's the job of a task system.

What you are looking at, in ADV1, is a task system.

I do not have the Traveller Adventure with me so I can not specifically refute your posting but if you use the kinunir as an example, you must be reading a different set of rules than I am.
I'm starting to think you see a lot of things differently than most people.

But, I'm done with this. This is silly arguing about it.

It is a task system--a very loose task system, but one nonetheless.

If you can't see that, then I'm sorry.

And, I don't think this argument is worth carrying on.

Originally posted by TheEngineer:
Hi Houston !
Yo.

Anywhere, where a corresponding stat A- stat B - difficulty C combination in the "big chart" is marked with a "-".
In other words:
Any time, when a character with a stat A has to do a competative task against another character with stat B on a given difficulty C and the resulting stat modifier diff is zero.
Kinda like in MT where Stat-9 and Stat-8, or Stat-9 and Stat-7, or Stat-9 and Stat-6, or Stat-9 and Stat-5 intersect?

So it effects gameplay at many "controntation" task, there the same stat type is used as OFF and DEF modifier (one throw task resolution) or at corresponding seperated task throws.
It's been a while since I've perused all the details of the MT system.

Is there a difference in this when a STR-9 character arm wrestles a STR-5 character?

Typical examples would perhaps be hand-to-hand combat, gambling challenge or a traditional scout brew carousing contest
UGM was designed for CT, so a typical HTH combat roll is 2D +mods for 8+.

It's not a one-roll contest.

Yes, I see the thought behind that, but I just would not share it.
A significant higher stat level should always have an impact on any task result and its "quality".
So, you don't consider a STR-14 character to have a significant higher stat level than a STR-10 character?

E.g. a stat-7 regular compared to a badly challenged stat-1 character.
Both characters get the same bonus (namley none) in order to manage 8+ (standard+) tasks.
Stat-7 character gets a whole point difference than a Stat-1 character.

Stat-7 guy has a 97% chance of success on Easy (4+) tasks vs 92% for the Stat-1 dude.

Stat-7 guy has 83% chance on Routine (6+) rolls vs 72% for Stat-1 guy.

Stat-7 guy has a 58% chance at Standard (8+) rolls vs a 42% chance for Stat-1 guys.

You state that the Stat-7 guy gets the same bonus as the Stat-1 guy on 8+ rolls?

You must have made a mistake, because, as you can see, the Stat-7 dude is 58% on 8+ rolls where the Stat-1 guy is only 42%.

The unlucky aspect might be that each "different answer" contains gaps, based on a logic I simply would not share.
Would you subscribe to the idea that a +1 DM is given if the stat is above the target number?

I've never looked close at T20, but I've heard it employs a mechanic like this.

UGM is basically (not quite, but basically) the same type of idea.

UGM is like saying, "Oh, you've got Stat-7? Then you have enough natural ability to get a +1, typically, on Easy, Routine, and Standard rolls.

"Oh, and you've got a Stat-12? Well, that's an awesome score and you get +1DM on all the tasks you try.

"And, oh, you've got Stat-3? Well, your score is so low that you'll hardly ever get a +1 DM on any task you attempt...but, every once in a blue moon, you'll get a +1 on an Easy throw only...nothing else though."

Here MTs stat "grouping" simplification appears to be more straightforward and also more convincing to me.

Hmmm...well, maybe it is a taste thing for you.

You're OK with the hiccups of a Stat-5 being better than a Stat-4, but it's not until Stat-10 that anything is better than Stat-5.

I think that's very illogical and non-convincing, rather than what UGM offers. With UGM, each new stat level provides the same benefit as every stat level below it, but some new benefit is added.

With MT, you get the hiccups where one stat is better than the one right below it, but another stat is better only than one four levels below it.

If you made a graph of the MT benefits per stat, you'd get a step shaped graph.

If you made a graph of the UGM benefits per stat, you'd get a curve that is constantly increasing.

Hi again !

Kinda like in MT where Stat-9 and Stat-8, or Stat-9 and Stat-7, or Stat-9 and Stat-6, or Stat-9 and Stat-5 intersect?
Yes. Both systems have gaps, just distributed differently.

It's been a while since I've perused all the details of the MT system.
Is there a difference in this when a STR-9 character arm wrestles a STR-5 character?
Indeed no. Thats one of the MT gaps.

So, you don't consider a STR-14 character to have a significant higher stat level than a STR-10 character?
Well, whats "significant" ?
At least in MT "significant" is defined as 5+.

You state that the Stat-7 guy gets the same bonus as the Stat-1 guy on 8+ rolls?

You must have made a mistake, because, as you can see, the Stat-7 dude is 58% on 8+ rolls where the Stat-1 guy is only 42%.
Yes. Was a mistake. Diffs fade away if the target throw is 9+ here. It just depends on the skill level.
Anyway all cases are readable from the chart.

Would you subscribe to the idea that a +1 DM is given if the stat is above the target number?
Yep. I really would like that. Its more straight. And it would remove the right side gaps in the "big" chart

Perhaps one could even give a +2 if the stat is twice the difficulty ....?

I'm still thinking about some way to reduce the effect, that two stats with large difference but below the difficulty would get the same stat modifier.
Maybe one way to do that, would be to alter the bonus "scaling", e.g. by giving a +1 if stat is at least half the task difficulty and perhaps +2 if the stat is greater equal the difficulty ?

Hmmm...well, maybe it is a taste thing for you.
You're OK with the hiccups of a Stat-5 being better than a Stat-4, but it's not until Stat-10 that anything is better than Stat-5.

I think that's very illogical and non-convincing, rather than what UGM offers.
Illogical ?
Thats just a consequence of value grouping, in order to receive a clean transformation from stat values to modifier. Value grouping is an essential and commonly used element in most RPG systems (regardless of old or new).

Guess we already discussed most aspects in detail.
In order to get an impression of UGM and to compare it to MT just anyone interested could take a look at the "big" chart.
Gaps and maybe "illogical" aspects (mentioned in a couple of posts) of both systems should be visible here.

Regards,

Mert

Hey Mert,

If you come up with a better idea for UGM, then please look me up and make me aware of it.

Right now, UGM is the best thing I can come up with for Classic Traveller without doing something drastically different (like Dalton's system)--and that's just not a route I want to go.

A requirement for any good task system for CT (imo) is that it will have to fit, plug-n-play, with CT (and MT) official rules, and it will have to distiguish differentation between each and ever stat.

If you can figure a better way to do that (than what I've done with UGM), then I definitely want to see what you've come up with.

It's been a pleasure discussing this with you.

C.

Hi !

See, at least UGM is one of the several thousand other house rule systems, with some tweaks here and there.
If its about hints for UGM, I gave some notes on that already. But at least its Your system and naturally is shaped by taste

(RPG rule systems tend to be treated as religions or philosophies...so its hard to use objective arguments here).

So, either I would choose the standard rules (CT,MT whatever) or something really universal and perhaps more commonly known, like Fudge.
It largely swaps away the need to deal with stat or skill level numbers, has a distribution similar to Traveller 2D, provides simple conversion pattern and is just easy all in all.

Regards,

Mert

Originally posted by TheEngineer:
But at least its Your system and naturally is shaped by taste

(RPG rule systems tend to be treated as religions or philosophies...so its hard to use objective arguments here).
Well, if it helps, I've written several Traveller task systems--many of them have been popular with Trav players. If you've ever heard of KBv2.0 or System 1123, I wrote those.

Recenlty, I wrote both CTI and UGM. CTI is a better system than UGM (you'd probably like CTI better too...CTI does the stat differentation thing better than UGM), but UGM is simpler.

I'm into simple rules, so UGM is my system of choice these days.

It might not seem it, but I'm also a big proponent of the MT task system. I like it, and I used DGP/MT for years (I just feel now that UGM does a better job).

You mentioned a couple of times that you were playing around with some ideas for UGM. I simply stated that if you improve the system, then let me know (I might want to use it!)

I'm not married to UGM by any means. It's just the best Classic Traveller task system I've seen.

If someone else came up with a better system, I'd drop UGM like a hot potatoe.

I'm not sticking with UGM because it's a system I wrote--I'm sticking with UGM because it's the best thing for Classic Traveller that I've come across.

I'm always on the lookout for something better.

Heck, you never know, I may get an epiphany and figure a something better than UGM one of these days.

Or, I might see someone else come up with a superior idea.

Until that time, though, UGM is my system.

Back