• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Upcoming New OGL 1.1 vs. OGL 1.0a and Cepheus

It could be the new ORC license. It could be one of the Creative Commons licenses. It could be something of their own creation. I don't actually care. What matters is that it is no longer the OGL and it has to come from Mongoose in an updated SRD.
Welcome to the party sir. Changing it for the sake of changing in support of gaming awww that's sweet, but unnecessary. Changing because it will provide a benefit to your own stuff also, groovy.

I personally think they need to get out of the forest fire that is WotC OGL and move to a more positive license.

I also suggest John Watts and Matthew Sprange or Matthew and Mr. Miller himself get involved via ORC roundtables to lend their publishing and business experiences with each other as actual IP owner / licensee to the ORC discussion. It will, IMHO improve the industry as whole, promote Traveller as a good brand to those unfamiliar and positive geek cred to younger gamers. We keep saying where will we get new players from. Maybe we create more players for Traveller that way. If it works as a license they also use, they had input to mold it. I see it as a win/win.

StarTravellerpath? LOL

If they have interest and time of course. OTOH If it is that simple why am I not in publishing? [Nathan you lazy bum 🤔]

Not sure why you are mocking my post. MongooseMatt posted here that they were looking at what to do about the OGL going away. My point is just that Mongoose owns the Traveller SRD and the best thing they can do is rerelease it with the OGL replaced. That's it.

Sure, it'd be cool if Mongoose and Marc participated in ORC. That'd be great. But that's separate from my main request. Maybe they don't want to do that. Maybe they want their own license that they can then control. Whatever. All I'm worried about is making sure the Traveller SRD survives the end of OGL because if it doesn't, then Cepheus dies with it. And, since that's what this topic is about, I think that, in context, we can call that "bad". So, I am making a request to prevent that to someone who can actually do something about it.

I think nobody wants Cepheus to die, and that there are discussions behind the scenes to save it. We'll get the news when decisions are made.

So, I am making a request to prevent that to someone who can actually do something about it.
Which is a reasonable request.
Expecting an immediate announcement of a commitment towards such a path would be "pushing it" given the circumstances.

At best, an announcement that Cephus is "exploring options" on how to move away from/beyond OGL 1.0a without committing to a specific alternative scheme would probably be the best that can be hoped for.

MongooseMatt posted here that they were looking at what to do about the OGL going away. My point is just that Mongoose owns the Traveller SRD and the best thing they can do is rerelease it with the OGL replaced. That's it.
We have been talking to the SRD OGL publishers over the past few days. We think we can do better than this suggestion. Stand by...

Not sure why you are mocking my post.
I apologize if I seemed that way to you. It was not my intention. I was happy that you said exactly what I was feeling. I honestly felt alone in the first days of posting after my OP what with Tobias seeming VERY DENSE (not sorry offending there),had I missed something or me questioning why I felt so impassioned. I seriously thought I was having an manic episode and would need to have my medication upped.

Well, draft or no, it rocked the boat. Even if WoTC does nothing, it shows the potential of what could be done. Clearly, even if they wanted to clean up the original license, to make it irrevocable (and not saying that they will), for that to be done they need to issue an update to the license.

Until "something" happens, their action calls into question the stability of the license and it behooves content creators to perhaps pursue other options.

We have been talking to the SRD OGL publishers over the past few days. We think we can do better than this suggestion. Stand by...
Thanks and appreciate this. While I am only slowly plodding along with my projects. One of them is the Majestic Stars and it would be far more straightforward to release if Cepheus and Traveller open content was still around to use.

Again Thanks
Rob Conley
Bat in the Attic Games.

TOCLogo.jpg

Mongoose Publishing has announced that the Traveller sci-fi RPG will be moving away from the Open Gaming License (OGL), and adopting Paizo's upcoming new Open RPG Creator License (ORC).

In light of recent events, Mongoose Publishing is going to be introducing a brand new Traveller Open Content programme, allowing gamers and publishers to build their own projects using the most recent edition of Traveller rules.

We will be working with existing Traveller OGL publishers to build a new SRD based upon the Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022, using their feedback to ensure best utility, and a logo licence will be made available to clearly mark compatible products.

At this time, we are looking to the ORC licence to maintain openness, now and in the future.

The current TAS programme on Drivethru, which allows the publishing of material set in the official Charted Space universe, will continue to run separately, but alongside, Traveller Open Content.

More news as it develops!

Link to the original post by MongooseMatt over on EN World.

He already made the announcement on these boards too.

here

He already made the announcement on these boards too.

here

Oh, I took a cursory glance across the boards and failed to see that! Thanks!

Personally I like the old animals and multiple DMs from 1e/Cepheus and like the new vehicles and space ship design and options from 2e. And the powered armor rules from Traveller Development Pack hardly anyone uses.

But that's just me.

Correct. Review my direct reply to Mongoose Matt

here >>>> https://www.travellerrpg.com/index....-open-content-new-programme-on-the-way.43259/

Please add if there were scenarios I missed or rephrase mine if they seem dense. I am not always the most clear writer.
Your response looks good. For me, with two books in proof stage, and if the rules changed mid stream, I have not seen the new SRD or read mgt2, the idea of rewriting and play testing for a couple of years probably is less than ideal. I also have a promo with dice I am going to throw into the release of the books. Back during the play test, a player in an mgt1 game I was running printed some of the v2 core, and we went over it, having a pre-game pint, and I passed on it then. I have the starfinder core, and we played that some, and one of the players said the mgt2 was trav meeting starfinder, which is fine, except I am going in more of a hard-edged and rules light direction now.

IMHO MgT2 is not anywhere close to as whacked out as Starfinder. Current never to be finished project I'm working on now is in light of this OGL happenings is to make StarTraveller LOL.
Seriously, a Starfinder SRD variant converting Cepheus SRD (later "Traveller Open Content" if necessary) content into StarTraveller stats.

And of course Cepheusfinder in the other direction !

Mongoose has always seemed to concentrate on the space fantasy side over the older versions sci-fi, which is cool, writers write what they know. I was a fan of mgt from early on, have most everything from v1, even bought the core a few times. Though at this point now, I am not as much into that sort of setting, and that is the beauty of cepheus, it is wide open.

Back