• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Valet Skill

So, the Valet skill (or, uh, "program") is tossed around a lot in LBB 8 and DGP's 101 Robots book. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have been defined anywhere. At first I thought it might be in LBB 5 (that's where Liaison was hiding when I had a similar "where the hell did this weird skill come from" experience while looking through some of my old character sheets) but no dice. Not in S4 either.

Is there really no detailed description of this skill in any of the LBBs? I kind of wanted to know how exactly it differs from Steward on a mechanical level.

If it's not defined anywhere else I'd assume that it's a version of Steward that's tailored to just one person.

A valet is a body-servant that dresses, and shaves the male for whom he works. Laying out clothes, and doing personal services on a day to day basis where as the Steward oversees care for passengers for the duration of a voyage.

[Edit the female version is a Lady's maid]

There are a few 'skills' that only exist in LBB8 but nowhere else. It's probably more informative to check out MT and see if they got fleshed out.

Well, upon further research, I seem to have found the closest thing to an official skill description. Part 3 of the OG Robots article in JTAS 4. It contains brief writeup of Valet (and, as mentioned by kilemall, the other unique robot skill programs like Firefighting and such).

Valet: Permits the robot to act as a body servant, laying out clothes, cooking, running errands, and so on. Requires two light work arms, and general human shape.

Nothing I didn't already know, and certainly not all the information I hoped for, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, this article also states that these unique skills may only be learned at skill-1 for some reason. Doesn't even give you the option for additional levels on the skill table. This rule is soundly ignored in LBB 8 and 101 Robots, where you can easily find robots with Valet-2 and Cargo Handling-3.

I'd imagine additional Valet levels allow for the Robot to care for additional people, assisting a couple at level 2, and a family at 3+.

Basically, it goes from "Man-Friday" to "Butler bot" that takes care of a household.

I'd imagine additional Valet levels allow for the Robot to care for additional people, assisting a couple at level 2, and a family at 3+.

Basically, it goes from "Man-Friday" to "Butler bot" that takes care of a household.

Robo-Jeeves.

Back