• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Things to do during Jump

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
I remember someone asked a while back what to do in JumpSpace. Here's what I've come up with, in general.

If you have anything to add, please respond.

Things to do during Jump:
(with Citizens of the Imperium contributions by aramis, BackworldTraveller, mike wightman, Captain_Ahab, Baroun Tardis, Nightwind1, Spenser TR, Drew, Spinward Flow, Enoki, Timerover51)

Updated February 9, 2023

Work
- Bridge Jump Watch
- Engineering Jump Watch
- Medical Emergencies
- Ship and/or Cargo inventory
- Steward Services
- Passenger Hospitality
- Research

Maintenance
- Preventative Maintenance
- Fixing the broken thing
- Manufacturing parts
- Replacing parts
- Writing New Computer programs
- Ship Upgrading

Destination Planning
- Library Data (Spinward Marches Archive/Retrieval Tool (SMART)
- TAS Warnings and Requests
- Itinerary Setup
- Local Languages

Cleaning
- Personal Hygiene
- Clothing Launder
- Punishment Duty
- Pest Control
- Robot work

Training
- Improving Existing Skills
- Psionics Improvement
- Safety and Emergency Training
- Ship's Security Training
- Cross-training with Other Crewmembers
- New Skill Training
- Retraining
- Read the Fraking Manual

Entertainment
- Recent Holovids
- Holo-programming
- Old or Nostalgic Stuff
- Listen to Music
- Play a Musical Instrument or Sing
- Creative Arts
- Reading
- Writing
- Games
- Adjust the Gravity

Eating
- Passenger Food
- Cooking Crew Food
- Food from Worlds landed at
- Drink Of Choice
- Onboard Distilling
- Smells

Socializing
- Friendships
- Romance
- Psychological Warfare

Sleeping
- Sleeping it off
- or Not Sleeping

Last edited:
Those middle and high class passengers are very demanding. Three stewards can keep (varying number per version) high class passengers happy for a day. (One steward is going to get run ragged as they have no down-time.) The rate of 2 passengers per steward seems entirely plausible given cruise line crew rates, 30 passengers per steward seems to provide very poor service. 300 mid-class passengers per steward is implausible! Just serving food to 300 would be impossible for them.

Talking of which, a laundry is a necessary bit of kit for your stewards, as is a galley. And the crew also have laundry duties, catering and personal hygiene issue to resolve which take time.

The Engineers are needed at one per 35 tons of power and drives. That suggests that (assuming 8 hour shifts) each ton of such equipment needs just over 1 hour of work on it per week.
The maintenance crew rate seems low covering 25 tons of hull per hour's work for the entire ship's life support! (Air, heat, water, electrics/lights, data/entertainment systems, sullage and sewerage)
Gunners have their weapons and weapon sensors to maintain...but they can't do much of that externally in jump and are busy manning their weapons when out of it

Animals in transit have their own requirements for Air, Food, Water, Bedding, and muck-raking. Should keep someone busy in jump or out.

The merchants amongst the crew can count their credit notes
Nobles can practice lording it over...Never mind, getting ridiculous now

Don't know if this falls under "Training" , but reading up on where you're going. Tourist brochures, at a minimum. Library data. Any info from other ships that got bounced around in the last port of call (IMTU, there's a forum-style thing that updates when you're in port and stores what people posted about a given place). Any news articles about the place

If they don't speak Anglic, or if there's a substantial local language, then lookup "Hello" "I'm lost" "Please help" "Water, please", "thank you" and "where is the bathroom?" in the local language and practice them.

Checking expected law level, and figuring out what to wear. One thing that gets left out of a lot of games is that if you normally wear weapons, then your clothing has to adjust to what you normally carry and how you carry it. If you're suddenly not going to be carrying your normal stuff, then the clothing styles change. Also, picking what you've got in the wardrobe that's most acceptable for the local scene, both in fashion and in utility/comfort. And, if weapons are involved in the clothing change, then wearing the new config and getting comfy with it so you're not adjusting positions is important. And so your hand knows where to go without you having to think about it.

Catching up on personal stuff mending. Sitting at a console in Jump, doing firewatch, is a good time to have that really comfy pair of pants that has a tear on the cuff and a needle and thread to hand.

Don't know if this falls under "Training" , but reading up on where you're going. Tourist brochures, at a minimum. Library data. Any info from other ships that got bounced around in the last port of call (IMTU, there's a forum-style thing that updates when you're in port and stores what people posted about a given place). Any news articles about the place

If they don't speak Anglic, or if there's a substantial local language, then lookup "Hello" "I'm lost" "Please help" "Water, please", "thank you" and "where is the bathroom?" in the local language and practice them.

Checking expected law level, and figuring out what to wear. One thing that gets left out of a lot of games is that if you normally wear weapons, then your clothing has to adjust to what you normally carry and how you carry it. If you're suddenly not going to be carrying your normal stuff, then the clothing styles change. Also, picking what you've got in the wardrobe that's most acceptable for the local scene, both in fashion and in utility/comfort. And, if weapons are involved in the clothing change, then wearing the new config and getting comfy with it so you're not adjusting positions is important. And so your hand knows where to go without you having to think about it.

Catching up on personal stuff mending. Sitting at a console in Jump, doing firewatch, is a good time to have that really comfy pair of pants that has a tear on the cuff and a needle and thread to hand.

I like everything about this. As a Referee or player I'd love to read things along these lines, write them, and I incorporate them into the Steward's duties as the liaison with passengers and source of this info for the crew.

Taking inventory, updating logs, studying charts, doing ship's accounting.

Tangental - I humbly put forth this table from my own Traveller writings, regarding things that might happen during an "adventure class" ship's time in jump. A more polished version can be found in the recently released Mongoose JTAS #7

Nifty table, I like that.
Have a couple fun links from the past that might be relevant...

Those middle and high class passengers are very demanding. Three stewards can keep (varying number per version) high class passengers happy for a day. (One steward is going to get run ragged as they have no down-time.) The rate of 2 passengers per steward seems entirely plausible given cruise line crew rates, 30 passengers per steward seems to provide very poor service. 300 mid-class passengers per steward is implausible! Just serving food to 300 would be impossible for them.

Talking of which, a laundry is a necessary bit of kit for your stewards, as is a galley. And the crew also have laundry duties, catering and personal hygiene issue to resolve which take time.

The Engineers are needed at one per 35 tons of power and drives. That suggests that (assuming 8 hour shifts) each ton of such equipment needs just over 1 hour of work on it per week.
The maintenance crew rate seems low covering 25 tons of hull per hour's work for the entire ship's life support! (Air, heat, water, electrics/lights, data/entertainment systems, sullage and sewerage)
Gunners have their weapons and weapon sensors to maintain...but they can't do much of that externally in jump and are busy manning their weapons when out of it

Animals in transit have their own requirements for Air, Food, Water, Bedding, and muck-raking. Should keep someone busy in jump or out.

The merchants amongst the crew can count their credit notes
Nobles can practice lording it over...Never mind, getting ridiculous now
If it is a Free Trader with access to the latest gossip, it would be scheming on the speculative side of where the next two to three jumps with a cargo would be most profitable (or the odds of not getting caught with a prohibitive cargo).

In all my travels, I've found that you need just three phrases in the local language, at a minimum, to get by. These are:

1. "Where's the bathroom," or just the word "bathroom" accompanied by gesturing.

2. Being able say the equivalent of not just "NO!," but "%#*! NO!" This is important to ward off people trying to sell you crap.

3. "Another beer!" or just the word "beer" with gesturing.

Also, unlike Douglas Adams' admonition, always know where your umbrella is. Towels are worthless.

I'd also recommend not deliberately trying to blend in, as the locals are going to know you're a tourist regardless of how hard you try not to show it.

72387702.jpg

Mutiny.

3. "Another beer!" or just the word "beer" with gesturing.
I never developed a taste for beer... but water is important. Put "Drink Of Choice" in there, I guess

Also, unlike Douglas Adams' admonition, always know where your umbrella is. Towels are worthless.

I'd also recommend not deliberately trying to blend in, as the locals are going to know you're a tourist regardless of how hard you try not to show it.

Oh, I'm not saying blend in.
I'm just saying that one should not wear their "Sandwich Sultan: It takes all your manipulating limbs to handle a Behemoth!" with the picture of Behemoth Burger on it to the K'Kree startport customs office.

I never developed a taste for beer... but water is important. Put "Drink Of Choice" in there, I guess

Oh, I'm not saying blend in.
I'm just saying that one should not wear their "Sandwich Sultan: It takes all your manipulating limbs to handle a Behemoth!" with the picture of Behemoth Burger on it to the K'Kree startport customs office.
Water never touch the stuff. Fish copulate (you can insert whatever) in it. The other word you need to know if you prefer local water is "Do you have any keopectate?"

Back