• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TL changes to travellermap for T5

I wasn't sure if AotI in your post meant Atlas of the Imperium or Agent of the Imperium.
Sakaliin - the world where the computer network achieved sentience - TL9 world at that - 200,000 dead thanks to EMP weapons and blasted back to pre-digital technology. Then interdicted to prevent Ai breakout. Isn't that TL17?

Dathsuts - the world with advanced pseudobiological robots building an orion drive STL transport.

Yet more TL17 stuff?
Both higher TL than Capital at the time.

Late TL14 for experimental sentient AI
But yes ubiquitous AI is TL17

spoilers AotI

I wasn't sure if AotI in your post meant Atlas of the Imperium or Agent of the Imperium.
Sakaliin - the world where the computer network achieved sentience - TL9 world at that - 200,000 dead thanks to EMP weapons and blasted back to pre-digital technology. Then interdicted to prevent Ai breakout. Isn't that TL17?

Dathsuts - the world with advanced pseudobiological robots building an orion drive STL transport.

Yet more TL17 stuff?
Both higher TL than Capital at the time.

Agents otI.
Sure. A hostile alien (not 3I) race.

This is different than wiping out a world for achieving a higher TL than Capital. In all cases there was hostility with potential massive loss of life.

Agents otI.
Sure. A hostile alien (not 3I) race.
Not race - robots. Artificial beings TL17+
Higher than the Imperium at the time of encounter.

This is different than wiping out a world for achieving a higher TL than Capital. In all cases there was hostility with potential massive loss of life.
They could replicate themselves and build robot cities - that's higher than Capital at the time.

I'm sorry - I am derailing your thread totally with this.

I will shut up, or is it worth asking for a thread split?

I think the subtopic belongs on the Agents of the Imperium thread since i did not intend this a spoiler thread.

I'd like to continue discussing 1105/1116 TLG pros/cons and depot TL pros/cons.
You've added a valued opinion to that discussion.

My view on depots is the same as for worlds with IN bases - the base is TL15 regardless of world TL.

As to TLG worlds in general - in the SM they went out of their way to make sure that Darrian wasn't really a TLG world despite having the UPP of one.
Odd worlds like Vincennes no problem, even Sabmiqys (thanks to its backstory); but making a core sector chock full of TLG worlds, several of which are high population unbalances the setting IMHO.

The TL increase for the Regency worlds in TNE makes some sense - use Imperial resources to reverse engineer every bit of Darrian technology they can.

My view on depots is the same as for worlds with IN bases - the base is TL15 regardless of world TL.

As to TLG worlds in general - in the SM they went out of their way to make sure that Darrian wasn't really a TLG world despite having the UPP of one.
Odd worlds like Vincennes no problem, even Sabmiqys (thanks to its backstory); but making a core sector chock full of TLG worlds, several of which are high population unbalances the setting IMHO.

The TL increase for the Regency worlds in TNE makes some sense - use Imperial resources to reverse engineer every bit of Darrian technology they can.

Weirdly enough the way the tech level rules are written all planets within the Imperium would be TL F within 2 generations if strictly applied and allowed by their respective governments.
I suspect that this suppression is the argument that we must make that all worlds in contact are not at the same tech level.

1 Governments that actively hold back tech level:
The biggest reasons to... don't want filth peasants getting uppitty with fusion cannon.
  • self-perpetuating oligarchy
  • feudal technocracy <--- self evident
  • captive government / colony
  • non charismatic dictatorship
  • religious dictatorship
  • totalitarian oligarchy

2 Government types that probably would hold back technology level:
Keep them in debt or under the thumb for the first two
The last - constant war wears on economies (it also sometimes increases R&D so it is a wash
  • company/corporation
  • charismatic dictatorship <--- likely to fall to category 1
  • religious autocracy <--- likely to fall to category 1
  • balkanization

3 Least likely to suppress but still might have reason to....
They literally don't care or the people are pushing for it...
  • no government structuce
  • participating democracy
  • civil service bureaucracy
  • impersonal bureaucracy

Back