• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TNE Only: TNE FF&S Mk I, Mod 1 Chapter 5 electonic pods

snrdg082102

SOC-14 1K
Hello all,

On page 49 of TNE FF&S Mk I, Mod 1 Chapter 5 the use of electronic pods is described foe use on aircraft and lift vehicles.

Can electronic pods be used by space vehicles?

On page 49 of TNE FF&S Mk I, Mod 1 Chapter 5 the use of electronic pods is described for use on aircraft and lift vehicles.
Can electronic pods be used by space vehicles?
An official answer would be interesting, but I suspect the page 49 electronic pods cannot be used in space.

I am a big fan of Pre-Grav Spacecraft in FF&S and the first thought that comes to me is the rules on Minimum Hull Armor for space rating.
The pods for aircraft/grav vehicles would probably be less than even the 'disposable' launch vehicle armor/hull rating.

Now I think the concept can be done ... a Space Pod would be no different than a turret or the Standard Module from a 50 dTon cutter.
But I suspect that the cost/weight of a Space rated pod would be higher than one only rated for atmosphere.

Hello atpollard,

Thank-you for the reply.

An official answer would be interesting, but I suspect the page 49 electronic pods cannot be used in space.

I am a big fan of Pre-Grav Spacecraft in FF&S and the first thought that comes to me is the rules on Minimum Hull Armor for space rating.
The pods for aircraft/grav vehicles would probably be less than even the 'disposable' launch vehicle armor/hull rating.

Now I think the concept can be done ... a Space Pod would be no different than a turret or the Standard Module from a 50 dTon cutter.
But I suspect that the cost/weight of a Space rated pod would be higher than one only rated for atmosphere.

My original thought was for all space going vessels, but may be I should have scaled to fighters that are capable of both space and atmospheric flight.

The space based missiles only have an armour rating of Av 3 I think, so they break the Av 10 per Accelleration G rule. Mind you they're only designed to be used once.
I haven't looked a FF&S in years but if you could armour them maybe to Av 3 would be enough. Or, allow them, but give them a 10% chance to fail per every re-entry. Perhaps even modified by atmo density.

Hello Badbru,

The space based missiles only have an armour rating of Av 3 I think, so they break the Av 10 per Accelleration G rule. Mind you they're only designed to be used once.
I haven't looked a FF&S in years but if you could armour them maybe to Av 3 would be enough. Or, allow them, but give them a 10% chance to fail per every re-entry. Perhaps even modified by atmo density.

My apologies for taking so long to reply, I've been distracted and kept forgetting to answer. Thank you for replying and referencing missiles.

I've only done sort of a hit or miss of TNE FF&S and one of the areas missed is missiles.

I've checked TNE FF&S Mk 1, Mod 1 (January 1994) p. 146 and I am not sure about the missiles have to meet the same requirements for armor value as a small spacecraft. Of course I'll have to take a better look and see how this might translate to the electronic pods.

Thank you again for the help.

Back