• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: The overwhelming utility of grav vehicles

Looking back on the age of sail when merchant ships carried cannon and entered foreign ports all the time. A lone merchant trying to enter a port and shoot it up would quickly become a dead merchant. Same in Trav I would think. The Port authority would have some emplacements that could fry a small ship if the area was prone to that kind of activity
Oh, yeah, it's definitely a nonsurvivable activity but, given the craziness I've seen in my lifetime and the Ine Givar and who knows what else, I'm inclined to think they'll prefer not to take chances.

Looking back on the age of sail when merchant ships carried cannon and entered foreign ports all the time. A lone merchant trying to enter a port and shoot it up would quickly become a dead merchant. Same in Trav I would think. The Port authority would have some emplacements that could fry a small ship if the area was prone to that kind of activity
So the origin of the gun salute was to demonstrate your guns were empty. This doesn't apply to modern or energy weapons at all, of course, and the gun salute's meaning has changed since then. I have to think that starports have superb shielding or defensive batteries or both. The traveller combat system is certainly favors quantity over quality of fire, and so most small ships are easily out-gunned by a shore battery with no 1 per 100 tons limitation, and so would be foolish to start trouble at a starport.

Also, since the starport is Imperial territory, starting trouble will draw a Naval response, which is not a long term survival strategy.

So the origin of the gun salute was to demonstrate your guns were empty. This doesn't apply to modern or energy weapons at all, of course, and the gun salute's meaning has changed since then. I have to think that starports have superb shielding or defensive batteries or both. The traveller combat system is certainly favors quantity over quality of fire, and so most small ships are easily out-gunned by a shore battery with no 1 per 100 tons limitation, and so would be foolish to start trouble at a starport.

Also, since the starport is Imperial territory, starting trouble will draw a Naval response, which is not a long term survival strategy.
Interesting. Yes, I agree it's sucide

"CT canon is generally that grav vehicles start being ubiquitous at TL 10"

I always laughed at that pronouncement. At the price they are in CT only the EXTREMELY wealthy could afford them so they are quite rare and not at all "ubiquitous". Remember to calculate using 1 Credit = 6 or 7 current USD
Is that adjusted for inflation?

A quick look online suggests USD 1977 to 2024 is about five times. Pre-Covid it was about four times.

Now, if you compare my local currency (NZ$), 1977 to 2024 it about nine times, and only about seven times, pre-Covid.

A quick look online suggests USD 1977 to 2024 is about five times. Pre-Covid it was about four times.

Now, if you compare my local currency (NZ$), 1977 to 2024 it about nine times, and only about seven times, pre-Covid.
Online gives gov't figures which are always far below reality.

Since this was drifting away from GRAVITY VEHICLES ... This same level of byzantine regulation will apply to FLYING CARS! We see it already with the FAA and the difference between Commercial Aircraft (cargo), Commercial Aircraft (passenger), Charter Aircraft, Private (single engine) Aircraft, Ultra-Light Aircraft and Home-Built Aircraft ... without getting into Parasails and Hang-gliders that fall below FAA regulation (I think). Just because a WORLD has Grav Vehicles, actually getting to operate one may require a LL Check.

LL is so underutilized. ;)
And of course the most recent category added to that list: Drones (what TNE called RCVs). I could see a "Tech Level as Law Level" response to those in lieu of a Law Level response. The higher the TL, the more things there will be in the sky to fall afoul of.

Back