• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

To Honor Grandfather: A Traveller Dice Game

FreeTrav

SOC-14 1K
CheeseWeasel is in the last three weeks of a kickstarter for their Traveller dice game "To Honor Grandfather". I played this in playtest/prototype at TravellerCON/USA 2022, and thought it was great; it got some space in my After-Action report in Freelance Traveller that year.

When the Kickstarter opened, it had good uptake, and it's at just short of $23,000 pledged out of $30,000 targetted - but over the past few days, the pledge rate has dropped, and if it doesn't pick up, it may not come to fruition, which would be a crying shame.

If you haven't seen the Kickstarter, see the link at the bottom of this posting, and please pledge. If you have already pledged, having seen the Kickstarter elsewhere, please consider raising your pledge, perhaps by adding in some of the add-ons, especially the set of Coyns. This is a project that deserves to succeed; please help it do so!

Bumping for visibility...

There's about a week and a half left, and a bit over $5000 to go - but because some of the costs of production have gone DOWN, seven of the eight "stretch goals" have been unlocked even without the baseline funding goal being reached. If you haven't backed this, please do; if you have, please see if you can see your way to increasing your pledge - this is a Kickstarter that really does deserve to succeed.

If the production costs have dropped so the stretch goals are now included, does that mean less money will be needed for the kickstarter to succeed?
I've never understood how the target figure is arrived at.

If the production costs have dropped so the stretch goals are now included, does that mean less money will be needed for the kickstarter to succeed?
I've never understood how the target figure is arrived at.
In theory, target figures *should* be the minimal viable price to get it produced so that the creators have enough profit to warrant the project. And definition of profit will depend on the creator: for some this is a hobby so break even may be good enough, for others a business so a minimal profit to cover other expenses, such as salaries and all that.

In reality, the target may be significantly less than actually needed to drum up backers based on "we've already passed our goal". Several KS will cancel midway through using this model if they are not going to actually reach the target costs for production.

And in the end, physical production is all over the place - the pandemic upended a lot of business models. Usually prices have gone up so it is interesting that this KS (which I have backed BTW) has managed to reduce production costs. There are several KS projects that had major issues as they raised the money they wanted then found out productions and shipping are suddenly a lot more expensive than expected. Let's just say there are a lot of angry backers out there (I've managed to back more than one where this happened, so out of the money. But KS is a caveat emptor sort of thing and sadly, I feel has started to lose its original premise of helping new creators get exposed. Too many scams and...well, anyway, the rest belongs in the Pit possibly so will stop here).

Hope that helps.

Also see the Rules on KS for more info vs mostly an educated opinion as above.

Edit: I did back their previous KS and I really like the metal coynes. Eventually may even use them for something!

I did back their previous KS and I really like the metal coynes. Eventually may even use them for something!

They did a GREAT job on the Coyns. And they even made a forecasting ceremony rules-system for use during game-play for Traveller to go along with them. I am going to get an additional set along with this Kickstarter if it successfully funds.

Page 121 Review of Droyne Coyns:

The Kickstarter has about 50 hours to go and is about $3400 short of reaching its funding goal. So if there is still anyone potentially interested in supporting the project, now is the time.

Back