• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller Size Comparison Chart

Here's another one you can add...
A Union Pacific Big Boy locomotive. It's the largest commercially successful locomotive in the world, designed for only one thing...pulling trains up a 27 mile section of track with a (steep for a train) 1.5% grade
TL-6
25 delivered, weighing 772,000 pounds
In service for 20 years.
1.6 million km lifetime accumulated mileage.
40.5m over the couplers. (and therefore 405px wide)
BigBoyLocomotive.jpg

Originally posted by jdegraff:
Thought you might like to see some by volume for comparison ;)

Ship Comparison by volume

The Sulie and the AHL I know were done to scale. The simple Tigress I'm 90% sure was done to scale, and the Broadsword about 80% sure (I don't have the areavol plugin here at work, and don't have the time to track it down at the moment ;) )

Jesse
Woo, *big* difference with the AHL! I'll have to get my calculator out!

I'd be grateful for any pics of your models to replace the silhouettes.

Keep in mind that the AHL was modeled by eye, too. It wasn't done matching any existing silhouettes, IIRC. I *was* using the color AHL cover for reference though. <shrug>.

Right now I'm working on Interstellar Wars stuff, but after that I'll have more time to do a bunch of pics for you.

Jesse

LOL... I couldn't resist...

"The Tigress That Ate DIA" or
"Denver International Starport"
Pity I only had one top view I could use...and that's for a grey scout (though I popped a couple others in and tweaked the colors)

I won't just post the image, because at 2px/m it's pretty huge size wise (though it's under 200k filesize wise)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/jonathonbarton/TravellerStuff/DIA-as-Starport.jpg

I can only *imagine* what that 757 skipper is thinking as he's trying to decide how Denver Ramp Control is going to route him around this...big...thing...in his way...

Andrew,

Are you sure on all of those ships? The Beowolf seems to be too large.

Actually, the common canonical floorplans for it (see in DGP SOM and in GT:FT) just seem wrong. How can a ship with a measley 200 dton manage to have three levels? It should only have two like shown in the Snapshot deckplans. Oh well.

Likewise the Marava seems a bit small. It is a lot smaller than the other 200 dton ships shown.

Also, are you and Jesse sure on the AHL vs Tigress? The Tigress is supposed to be over eight times as large. It just doesn't look big enough. I guess it could just be the difference in shapes.

Originally posted by daryen:
Also, are you and Jesse sure on the AHL vs Tigress? The Tigress is supposed to be over eight times as large. It just doesn't look big enough. I guess it could just be the difference in shapes.
It is. A sphere being a very "efficient" shape, it appears a lot smaller than it really is. For example, if the Queen Mary 2 was built in a spherical shape, her diameter, equalling her "length" would be a puny 90 meters.

Regards,

Tobias

"Are you sure on all of those ships? The Beowolf seems to be too large.

Likewise the Marava seems a bit small. It is a lot smaller than the other 200 dton ships shown."

I'm fairly sure the Marava is rightish, but the Beowulf is definitely wrong. I'd be surprised if the Liner was right. In most cases I've just used the official sizes.

Your going to have to up your work schedule Andrew. I've just checked out the movies for the first time in ages. Awesome.

And how about working on large ship comparisons. I'm sure if you e-mail Jeff Russell he'd be happy to help with some technical details.

Once again...awesome.
:cool:

Thanks. So many projects, so little time...

The second movie ground to a halt when I ran out of web space. If I ever get my finger out and organise some more I'll try to finish it.

Updating the SCC is next on my list. I need to confirm the AHL size and add a Nimitz.

Back