• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller Size Comparison Chart

Andrew,

Lovely work!

Here's a thought though, there's no way the Lanthanum Petal and the Broadsword can be the same volume!!

Crow

Look here for a corrected set, and very nice they are too

Similarly, it looks like you are using the DGP measurements for the Beowulf, which results in 400-ton deckplans...

Heh! I guess all they needed was some corridors for characters to run around in and shoot each other. They weren't too bothered about "getting it within 20%"
I bet they never imagined anyone would actually calculate it

Crow

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
Yup, the pic is from SOM. Are *any* official deckplans correct?!
Not for the Beo that I've ever seen, though you can take the DGP plans and treat the grid as 1.0m instead of 1.5m. The plans become the right size, though the external view gets a bit "stunty" looking since it's still three decks high. The same trick works for the Marava...
It should be just slightly taller than a Gazelle, as the CE is 2.5 decks high.

BTW, given comments on other threads about wet shipping being more closely related to Traveller, could we get a container ship on here? It would need to be a partial, maybe, as I think the thing would dwarf the 747.

Or, perhaps a second bit showing a smaller 747, a container ship, and a Fat Trader?

Sure, if I can find a good model or pic.

I've just added a few more ships, BTW, and jeez, some of those official sizes are WAY off.

Huh. The Broadsword is a lot smaller than I thought it was.
Almost ALL Traveller ships are siginificantly smaller when done in 3D with real* volume. Traditional 2D deckplans don't effectively take into account true 3D volume. To get them as accurate as possible, you have to start out with the 3D model of correct volume, slice it, then use *that* outline to generate the line drawings.

*real = in my own case using the volume of a cube of the correct tonnage generated with Andy Akins' FF&Sv2 spreadsheet and comparing it's volume to the volume of a given 3D mesh that I'm working on to match it. Andy Akins & I have double-teamed on some G:T's official deckplans this way, I generated my own Acipiter Class plans with this method. As well, every G:T ship illo I've done that didn't originate from classic or pre-published deckplans was done in this manner.

Best,
Jesse

You know, if you moved the smaller ships a bit further down in the last example, it would sure make the Tigress look like PacMan... ;)

- John

Thought you might like to see some by volume for comparison ;)

Ship Comparison by volume

The Sulie and the AHL I know were done to scale. The simple Tigress I'm 90% sure was done to scale, and the Broadsword about 80% sure (I don't have the areavol plugin here at work, and don't have the time to track it down at the moment ;) )

Jesse

Back