• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller Tons vs. Cubic

spYke

SOC-12
I am working on my Traveller Universe and the idea of using hydrogen displacement tons seems inappropriate. It also seems very inexact and much more difficult to design deck plans for. Has anyone ever converted the Traveller ship construction rules to cubic meters?
What do you see as pros and cons?
Any additional suggestions?

Megatraveller based the volume in kiloliters (that is another way to say cubic meters)...

While the register on it is still on tonnage, the design system uses the kl at 13.5 kl/ton. So, a scout is registered as a 100 dton ship, but all design numbers are done based on its 1350 kl

That's because the MT folks based their dt definition on the dimensions of the deckplan "cube" rather than the volume of 1000kg of liquid hydrogen.
The 14 cubic metre displacement ton (or 500 cubic feet) is at least based on actual displacement - you can not fit 1000kg of liquid hydrogen in 13.5 kl.

Fire Fusion and Steel for TNE would be my recommendation.

That's because the MT folks based their dt definition on the dimensions of the deckplan "cube" rather than the volume of 1000kg of liquid hydrogen.
The 14 cubic metre displacement ton (or 500 cubic feet) is at least based on actual displacement - you can not fit 1000kg of liquid hydrogen in 13.5 kl.

Fire Fusion and Steel for TNE would be my recommendation.
Strictly speaking, you can't fit 1000kg of liquid hydrogen in 14 m^3 either (you need 14.114 m^3), even without taking into consideration the volume required for the pressure tank walls, insulation, pipe-runs, etc.

As my aged and enfeebled mind still thinks in Imperial units, I just view it as four 5'X5'X5' cubes. That makes things much simpler for using my cargo loading data, which uses either measurement tons or register tons.

As my aged and enfeebled mind still thinks in Imperial units, I just view it as four 5'X5'X5' cubes. That makes things much simpler for using my cargo loading data, which uses either measurement tons or register tons.
I wouldn't exclude the possibility that this was where it all started. Combat system/maps using 5' squares, rounded to the nearest plausible metric equivalent. Volume of 1000kg of L-H2 is close enough to 5'x5'x10' for plausibility, and there you have it: a way to measure volume for ship construction. And the numbers for fuel tanks are simple.

Or 10'x10'x10' (as used in other systems) gets you 10 Gross Register Tons... but 10GRT units aren't granular enough, and 1GRT blocks are too small. And neither are easily converted/rounded into metric.

Last edited:
Back