• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller using Diaspora?

At first I want to apologize if there's already a thread on this topic somewhere or if I posted this to the wrong forum. I tried to use the search function, but got a lot of unrelated topics probably because of the Traveller sector of the same name.

What I am talking about is the Fate-based roleplaying game by VSCA which was by the authors admission inspired by their Traveller campaigns. The Diaspora universe is a much smaller place than the Third Imperium, but I don't see why you can't use the underlying system (especially since it is as flexible as Fate) for other settings.

My question is: has anyone of you already used VSCA's Diaspora to run games in the OTU? How did it work? Is it something you would recommend, or do you prefer sticking to one of the official Traveller editions?

You can learn more about Diaspora here: http://www.vsca.ca/Diaspora/

At first I want to apologize if there's already a thread on this topic somewhere or if I posted this to the wrong forum. I tried to use the search function, but got a lot of unrelated topics probably because of the Traveller sector of the same name.

What I am talking about is the Fate-based roleplaying game by VSCA which was by the authors admission inspired by their Traveller campaigns. The Diaspora universe is a much smaller place than the Third Imperium, but I don't see why you can't use the underlying system (especially since it is as flexible as Fate) for other settings.

My question is: has anyone of you already used VSCA's Diaspora to run games in the OTU? How did it work? Is it something you would recommend, or do you prefer sticking to one of the official Traveller editions?

You can learn more about Diaspora here: http://www.vsca.ca/Diaspora/

I think that's for Other Systems.
That said, I like some mechanics of Diaspora, but definitely not all. The negotiations mechanic might easily be adapted for a Traveller trading campaign, for example. But in the end, I'm more likely to play Diaspora using Traveller than the other way around:).

Now, had you said Blue Planet or Eclipse Phase, it might have been another matter;). Of course, Blue Planet has a sort of lifepath character generation, though it's more point-based, and gritty combat, so it would be a very close comparison.

Last edited:
Could a moderator then please move the thread?

There was no proper forum - which makes Lone Star the appropriate...
but now there is. And this is the first.

I've gone the other way - campaign building the way diaspora does - and it worked great.

Wow! A new forum, just for my thread. :coffeesip:

I am currently looking into giving Fate another chance and Diaspora looks like a solid game on its own merits, but I thought it could work great for Traveller as well.

@aramis: so you did use the cluster generation from Diaspora in your Traveller game? How did that work out if I may ask?

Wow! A new forum, just for my thread. :coffeesip:

I am currently looking into giving Fate another chance and Diaspora looks like a solid game on its own merits, but I thought it could work great for Traveller as well.

@aramis: so you did use the cluster generation from Diaspora in your Traveller game? How did that work out if I may ask?

No. We used the basic process, but with MGT1 traveller rules. We did do the connections portion diaspora style, and the resultant MGT1 skill gains.

Back