• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TravellerCon expansion

This may be off topic then? Does the fact I borrow bits from MgT make it semi-topical at least?
I doubt anyone would care. I mean, these types of things are: Ref presents story, Ref presents options, players suggest options, Ref says "What's your XXX skill?" Player says "Y!" Ref says "roll a X" and player rolls. And that's it.

Its 90% narrative and some dice rolling. We're not talking advanced level play. I saw at the recent list they had some D&D adventures for some quite high level characters (10, 12, maybe 15+), and the thing mentioned "Experienced" players, and at that level, with that game, I can easily see it getting very rules heavy.

But Traveller?

"8+ -- roll it" pretty much sums it all up.

It's a convention game with a bunch of strangers, shouldn't be a lot of rules lawyering.

It's a convention game with a bunch of strangers, shouldn't be a lot of rules lawyering.
This. The idea is to have fun telling a story together. If you're spending a lot of time trying to figure out what rules to apply how, you're not telling story and you're not having fun. A lot of people I know have come to the conclusion that if the consequences of blowing a roll aren't serious, why bother rolling?- just fiat that they succeed (or fail, whichever makes the better story) and move on.

A lot of people I know have come to the conclusion that if the consequences of blowing a roll aren't serious, why bother rolling?- just fiat that they succeed (or fail, whichever makes the better story) and move on.
I have seen this more and more in skill based games. If the chance of failure is small enough or there is not real negative to failing, just move on. (y)

I doubt anyone would care. I mean, these types of things are: Ref presents story, Ref presents options, players suggest options, Ref says "What's your XXX skill?" Player says "Y!" Ref says "roll a X" and player rolls. And that's it.

Wait is that there is to it? :unsure:

Wait is that there is to it? :unsure:
This thread about TravellerCon is posted in the "Ask Mongoose" subforum. My potentially running a Classic Traveller game at a con at LAX is not precisely aligned with that...

I mean, yes, brand visibility and all, but if my primary purpose was showcasing active Traveller IP rather than leaning into the nostalgia of it, I'd delve into MgT2's rules and specific canon and run with that.

And I might try that anyhow, eventually.

Thank you for the vote of confidence!
You're welcome.

And if you want to put any pictures up around your table, Target has some frames for only $2 or more.

The red and black pics from The Traveller Book really stand out. Just something to think about.

Mrs. Moped is a Strategicon regular, on the board-game side. I did a couple of Classic Traveller sessions over the years (as a player) in the Before Times. Haven't been since, though Mrs. M. very much has.

I keep thinking I ought to roll my own scenario sometime for a convention, just to see if I can pull it off. I'd probably run it under Classic if I did*, which may or may not limit the size of the player pool.
If you elect to do some Traveller at one of the Strategicons make sure to let me know, I would attend and support your game. :) (y)

Sadly, it's not
In the case of TravellerCon/USA, it's an existing core of attendees with some who've been attending since TC/USA 1, and have developed cliques and group attitudes.

And then, there are the new "strangers" who are not part of....or aware of...the cliques

Sadly, we are Humans, and any group of three will develop cliques and internal politics.
Once that happens, there is no truth, because the largest groups will enforce their opinions regardless of the actual acts

Sadly, it's not
In the case of TravellerCon/USA, it's an existing core of attendees with some who've been attending since TC/USA 1, and have developed cliques and group attitudes.

And then, there are the new "strangers" who are not part of....or aware of...the cliques

Sadly, we are Humans, and any group of three will develop cliques and internal politics.
Once that happens, there is no truth, because the largest groups will enforce their opinions regardless of the actual acts
Obviously you need to stat out everyone’s SOC.

If it were somewhere more accessible and not located in an obscure location on the East Coast of the US, I probably would attend. For me, plane tickets cost money. A rental car costs money... It's just not worth the cost. Consider those of us that live in locations that aren't so accessible.

Obviously you need to stat out everyone’s SOC.
I thought a lot about this before I responded.
And we "should all" be Traveller players coming together to share and enjoy the game....

If you feel that "I need to stat out" anyone's SOC, because their SOC should change my expectations or behavior...
....Then, I have to ask if you have a role in managing the con?
....Because if I am reading your comment correctly (which I may not be), that breaks to:
1) If you're not? Then, do I want to spend my free time with someone who feels I have to cowtow to their self-importance
2) If you are....Do I want to attend an event where your idea of the social importance of the attendees matters more than having fun.

And we "should all" be Traveller players coming together to share and enjoy the game....

If you feel that "I need to stat out" anyone's SOC, because their SOC should change my expectations or behavior...
....Because if I am reading your comment correctly (which I may not be), . . .

I think he was just kidding and/or making a humorous comment.

....Because if I am reading your comment correctly (which I may not be), that breaks to:
1) If you're not? Then, do I want to spend my free time with someone who feels I have to cowtow to their self-importance
2) If you are....Do I want to attend an event where your idea of the social importance of the attendees matters more than having fun.
Taking this way more seriously then intended. It’s a upfront ridiculous suggestion which is intended to trigger laughter at its absurdity.

I suppose there are people who take our games so seriously that they would mean it, I’m not.

If you like, it’s also commentary on the SOC value and the hierarchical nature of humans who use some form of that in RL. Just sounded like some people were setting up a nobility clique.

Back