• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TravellerCon expansion

Some old guy living in Bloomington handing out patents of nobility is no basis for a system of government! You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some aging game designer threw a patent at you. I mean, if I went round, saying I was Emperor, just because some wargamer had lobbed a piece of paper at me, you'd put me away!

(The above is merely for entertainment and hopefully humorous purposes. Really, I love MWM!)

Some old guy living in Bloomington handing out patents of nobility is no basis for a system of government! You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some aging game designer threw a patent at you. I mean, if I went round, saying I was Emperor, just because some wargamer had lobbed a piece of paper at me, you'd put me away!

(The above is merely for entertainment and hopefully humorous purposes. Really, I love MWM!)

Oh sure, so says Count Ishri and Baronet Jae Tellona, my rival for power in the heart of Rhylanor Subsector . . . 😉

Taking this way more seriously then intended. It’s a upfront ridiculous suggestion which is intended to trigger laughter at its absurdity.

I suppose there are people who take our games so seriously that they would mean it, I’m not.

If you like, it’s also commentary on the SOC value and the hierarchical nature of humans who use some form of that in RL. Just sounded like some people were setting up a nobility clique.
@Kite...
that is a point that needs to be made.
"To you", and those who know you, this may have seemed "a upfront ridiculous suggestion"
But, in flat text, with no other qualifiers, it does not mean the same thing to "all", or possibly even "many" of the readers here that it meant in your mind when you chose to post.

It is not about "taking the game" too seriously
It is about how others your comments given that they don't know you or your sense of humor

In fact, your re-direction at the game is an example of how you mis-read my comment

In fact, in regard to the last line of your post, the way I read your post "was" about RL, and "setting up gamer cliques at conventions"

The fact that you see it and cover it in this post suggests I am not very far off.

@Kite...
that is a point that needs to be made.
"To you", and those who know you, this may have seemed "a upfront ridiculous suggestion"
But, in flat text, with no other qualifiers, it does not mean the same thing to "all", or possibly even "many" of the readers here that it meant in your mind when you chose to post.

It is not about "taking the game" too seriously
It is about how others your comments given that they don't know you or your sense of humor

In fact, your re-direction at the game is an example of how you mis-read my comment

In fact, in regard to the last line of your post, the way I read your post "was" about RL, and "setting up gamer cliques at conventions"

The fact that you see it and cover it in this post suggests I am not very far off.
Enjoy your reality. Your choice how you take a light comment.

I attended the TravellerCon in 2021 and was very happy I went. Megan and the team did an amazing job with everything and made everybody feel welcome. Though for me, the event turned into an expensive affair and it was difficult to get there. Sad to say, I haven't been back, though I did purchase a ticket the next year and got a T-shirt. I would have loved to go every year. At the time, the air-fare from DFW was only a fraction of what it is today, but transportation back and forth from PIT to the hotel almost cost as much as my plane tickets. Together with the hotel, meals and convention costs it becomes prohibitive.

That said, TravellerCon doesn't have to be the end-all and be-all of Traveller conventions. Maybe there is room for more than one "Traveller" Con per year? I guess anybody is free to organize a convention where Traveller games are featured, though sponsorship through Mongoose would of course be nice. I was looking into what it would take to organize a "Traveller" convention here in Dallas, which is very easy to get to from anywhere in the USA and has direct flights from Heathrow (or was it Gatwick?). The Westin hotel is literally across the street from the airport and provides a free shuttle service. It is used by the NTRPGCon (hosted in June) every year and has over 500 guest rooms, 30 event rooms totaling almost 35,000 sq. ft. and 20 breakout rooms. There are other hotels nearby, even within walking distance. I have not contacted the Westin for a quote, but could do so if there is interest.

In any case, have a great time this OG TravellerCon weekend. I wish I could've been there!

... I would have loved to go every year. At the time, the air-fare from DFW was only a fraction of what it is today, but transportation back and forth from PIT to the hotel almost cost as much as my plane tickets. Together with the hotel, meals and convention costs it becomes prohibitive. ...
Lancaster is closer to Philadelphia (PHL?) than it is to PIT; you may want to try pricing out that route instead. If you decide to use Amtrak for the last leg (there's a station in downtown LANC), we can certainly arrange to have someone meet you. I won't suggest Amtrak for the entire route, just for the PHL to LANC leg.

Lancaster is closer to Philadelphia (PHL?) than it is to PIT; you may want to try pricing out that route instead. If you decide to use Amtrak for the last leg (there's a station in downtown LANC), we can certainly arrange to have someone meet you. I won't suggest Amtrak for the entire route, just for the PHL to LANC leg.

The closest airports to Lancaster are Newark, NJ and Philadelphia, Pa.
Both have rail links to Amtrack stations in the same cities, and both have rail links to Lancaster, Pa.

There is also Stewart Airport(Formerly an Air Force National Guard base) , but that does not have the rail connections needed to cover the ground travel component.

The closest airports to Lancaster are Newark, NJ and Philadelphia, Pa.
Both have rail links to Amtrack stations in the same cities, and both have rail links to Lancaster, Pa.

There is also Stewart Airport(Formerly an Air Force National Guard base) , but that does not have the rail connections needed to cover the ground travel component.
The rail link from Newark is going to pass through Philadelphia, anyway, and I wouldn't be surprised if the airfare to Newark, being a major hub with slots at a premium, would cost more than airfare to Philadelphia. Certainly, the railfare from Newark to Lancaster will be more than the Philadelphia-to-Lancaster railfare.

Both Newark and Philadelphia offer direct rail links from the airport to the respective city's Amtrak station; in Newark, it's AirTrain to Newark Penn Station; in Philadelphia, it's SEPTA's Airport line to 30th St. Station. It's not thru ticketing, however, and neither allows for pre-purchasing the air-to-rail ticket.

Stewart's rail links would be pretty poor even if they built an "airtrain" to the nearby rail service; you would need two regional commuter trains to get to connect with Amtrak (at either NYC or Newark, but that local commuter service only feeds into Hoboken, and offers a transfer in Secaucus to either NYC or Newark), and the regional commuter service has suffered from decades of neglect, because it's owned by NY, but operated by NJ - and NJ would have to upgrade the infra in their state to make an upgrade in the NY portion mean anything. And it's NJ that has neglected the infra; the NY portion is no worse than the NJ portion.

I'm also not certain you could get flights from Dallas to Stewart; while structurally the airport can handle pretty much any airplane in commercial service today, all the way up to widebodies like the 747 or L1011, its location and lack of ground transport links pretty much relegate it to being a regional airport.

Harrisburg PA would be a better choice than Stewart, but it's also a regional airport, and to get there from Dallas you'd have to change planes in Pittsburgh, Washington, or Philadelphia - and it'd cost about four times as much as just flying into Philadelphia.

BWI (Baltimore) is 93 miles, PHL is 71, and EWR is 153 to Lancaster. You may want to rent a car, or maybe see if someone driving from those areas would ride share. To take Amtrak from Baltimore you would need to go to Philadelphia and switch to a train going west.

My apologies, I wrote PIT but meant MDT (Harrisburg), which was overall most convenient for me to fly into than PHI or anywhere else. Getting to/from the hotel via train was not viable as you need transportation to and from the train stations at both ends. I ended up just taking an Uber from the airport not wanting to rent a car that would just sit all weekend.

My apologies, I wrote PIT but meant MDT (Harrisburg), which was overall most convenient for me to fly into than PHI or anywhere else. Getting to/from the hotel via train was not viable as you need transportation to and from the train stations at both ends. I ended up just taking an Uber from the airport not wanting to rent a car that would just sit all weekend.
We couldn't help you with Harrisburg airport-to-train, but if you let someone know in advance when your train is scheduled to reach Lancaster, there won't be problems with arranging rides in both directions between Amtrak Lancaster and the Con hotel. And that would go no matter how you got to that last train leg, whether it's Philadelphia, Harrisburg, or Pittsburgh.

Back